Help me concentrate

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
fosterp

Bronze

Help me concentrate

Postby fosterp » Wed Jul 21, 2010 8:53 pm

This might be kind of an unusual question...but I am finding that I am having a REALLY hard time concentrating at the level that is required to LR or RC on the lsat. When I first started doing sections in LR I felt I could get the first 15 in 15 mins fairly easily and nearly 100% accuracy. However the last couple days I don't know whats going on but I can't seem to be able to sit and read the stimulus for the questions. I will start reading a sentence or two and for some reason I cannot comprehend what is being written, as if there is some huge distraction that is keeping me from being able to tie words together into a complete thought. I've never been diagnosed with any kind of psychological disorder but thats what it seems like I have when I am trying to do practice section. For example, there is a fish tank near my table downstairs. The fishtank makes a little bubble noise from whatever it is inside. Upon doing the question, all I could think about was the noise these little bubbles were making. After spending two minutes on the FIRST question I got pissed off and turned off the tank. Then I tried again, and then I would get distracted by any little noise that came from outside, a car driving by or lawn mower in the distance. The noises aren't even loud at all, but for some reason it drives me up the wall. Obviously a quiet setting is needed for test taking but even when its quiet it seems that ever barely perceptible sound is driving me crazy. Or perhaps it just seems that way and I just can't seem to concentrate period.

Can anyone tell me why I am going crazy?

Kobe_Teeth

Silver

Re: Help me concentrate

Postby Kobe_Teeth » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:09 pm

Well, those sections tend to get harder and harder as you progress through the section. It could be that you're not realizing the questions are getting more confusing which is distracting you.

Some people suggest for RC doing two full sections in a row. I had some success with this. I would also read long and difficult articles and passages and read them with the same fervor I would a PT.

As for LR, just focus and practice.

Lawquacious

Gold

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:13 pm

I'm really distractable too.. (aahem.. TLS.. cough...). I can focus pretty intensely for brief periods some of the time, but definitely have a hard time staying focused (especially in practice situations).

In the past I found that meditation and memorization helped my concentration. The hard part was being disciplined enough to continue the practice (and with memorization the issue may be finding something that is worthy to be memorized).

jayn3

Silver

Postby jayn3 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Help me concentrate

1. leechblock
2. add tls to the block list

Lawquacious

Gold

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:15 pm

jayn3 wrote:
Help me concentrate

1. leechblock
2. add tls to the block list

:lol:

fosterp

Bronze

Postby fosterp » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:31 pm

I think you guys are missing my point. I am not having trouble trying to keep my focus on lsat studying. Its when I am trying to actually do the sections that I can't concentrate on whats being written. And its not the later sections that are causing me problems because they are harder - I am getting stuck up on the very first question because I can't seem to turn the words on the page into an idea that my mind is comprehending. Sometimes I feel like a 3 year old who doesn't know how to read.

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:37 pm

fosterp wrote:I think you guys are missing my point. I am not having trouble trying to keep my focus on lsat studying. Its when I am trying to actually do the sections that I can't concentrate on whats being written. And its not the later sections that are causing me problems because they are harder - I am getting stuck up on the very first question because I can't seem to turn the words on the page into an idea that my mind is comprehending. Sometimes I feel like a 3 year old who doesn't know how to read.

It seems as though you are not actually lacking confidence, but lacking the mental stimulant sometimes required to push a fatigued mind through dense material. Do you have some sort of routine to 'get in the zone'? I recommend a somewhat unpopular energy drink called Spike and a favorite song blasted at high volume as a way of getting fired up. You shouldn't really just 'go in raw' so to speak, unless of course this is what you have been doing all along.

Lawquacious

Gold

Postby Lawquacious » Wed Jul 21, 2010 9:50 pm

My suggestions re: meditation and memorization stand. But maybe it won't help for you. (I know I lack the discipline to practice these most of the time, but I really do think these practices can help build concentration). I've seen a post on here by a 180 scorer who attributed his score primarily to very well developed concentration skills which he said he gained through competitive chess (so perhaps take up chess?..). I imagine there are any number of things you can do to help build your concentration.

I kind of get the impression you are fishing for an answer like 'go see a doc and get diagnosis of ADHD with script for Adderall' since you don't seem to responsive to some of the suggestions that were given. (BTW, probably everyone struggles with concentration- studying for the LSAT isn't exactly fun or easy much of the time).

Chris_cpb

Bronze

Postby Chris_cpb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:00 pm

I feel like becoming an excellent chess player could be the path to undevided concentration in one person while simply getting a good night's rest and sitting on a porch swing watching the sway of palm trees could do the same for another. My point is that it depends on the person, but I believe that all minds will naturally receive a boost in stimulation when substances such as caffeine are used. Find what's best for you and practice this routine each and every time you study so that when your special day comes, it is just another day.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum�