Math for Logic Games Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jason8821

Bronze

Math for Logic Games

Post by jason8821 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:00 pm

Just wanted to give a suggestion to anyone in the low teens or below in LG. FWIW I have been studying a lot of math recently (for GRE), and I have had ups and downs with logic games, but I averaged about 16 right, and usually tried to get 3 games done. Since I started going back over old algebra equations that I had not seen in forever, I have tried on a couple occasions just to write a logic game. I only do one here and there, but never in my life until now (8 months studying 6 weeks break) have I been able to finish them with perfect accuracy in under 7 minutes, and now I have done this the last few times.

A friend of mine who does well with this said "don't try and write out them out formulaically like powerscore if it doesn't work, just write whatever step comes to mind, and put it in sequential order". For instance, symbols confuse me I need to write down the words, sure it takes 15-20 extra seconds, but I have a good memory otherwise, and it really helps. The above sounds like simple advice, but as often happens frustration causes us to miss things. That plus the fact that practice writing out math problems made a difference.

harut44

New

Re: Math for Logic Games

Post by harut44 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:33 pm

Coming from a math and econ background I can tell you that for me it helps to diagram EVERYTHING out. For the rules I have to diagram them, every single one, because it helps my mind centralize a location of where the ideas are and I retain it much better that way.

I also remember material a lot better when I've written it done ie lecture notes. So I guess it makes a difference on how you learn or retain whatever you've been taught.

For math, I've always had the problem of never double checking, which I hate but it's a habit I can't get rid of, and that follows me into the LGs. I never double check my answer even if I have a lot of time left over. I go to the next game. If I misinterpret a rule (just like misinterpreting a calc form or missing a sequence in the taylor series whatever) that misinterpretation stays with me until the end of the game. I've made it a habit to look over rules three times. It may take an extra 20 sec but it gives me that comfort of knowing my rules and deductions from the rules are going to be correct.

Na_Swatch

Bronze

Post by Na_Swatch » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:38 pm

harut44 wrote:Coming from a math and econ background I can tell you that for me it helps to diagram EVERYTHING out. For the rules I have to diagram them, every single one, because it helps my mind centralize a location of where the ideas are and I retain it much better that way.

I also remember material a lot better when I've written it done ie lecture notes. So I guess it makes a difference on how you learn or retain whatever you've been taught.

For math, I've always had the problem of never double checking, which I hate but it's a habit I can't get rid of, and that follows me into the LGs. I never double check my answer even if I have a lot of time left over. I go to the next game. If I misinterpret a rule (just like misinterpreting a calc form or missing a sequence in the taylor series whatever) that misinterpretation stays with me until the end of the game. I've made it a habit to look over rules three times. It may take an extra 20 sec but it gives me that comfort of knowing my rules and deductions from the rules are going to be correct.
good advice.. I screwed up a rule on my LSAT and didnt realize it until 4 questions later when things did not logically work out...

Cost me 2 wrong questions in the LG and dropped my score 3 points :shock:

harut44

New

Post by harut44 » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:45 pm

Exactly. Logic games are easy to get right but extremely easy to mess up on too. Miss one rule, misinterpret one word and you've screwed yourself out of a few questions....leading to screwing yourself out of a few points. No pressure. lol

fosterp

Bronze

Post by fosterp » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:53 pm

I find that if I am going through a question that isn't the last or second to last and it seems that the answer can't be figured out in about 20 seconds then its because I screwed up a rule or am missing an inference, or i should be making some hypothetical templates on a game where a key rule leaves only few possiblities

having your basic diagram on paper and then able to work the variables and rules in your head for each question I believe is a talent that cannot really be learned, and the people who have such spatial ability shouldn't need to have too much written out

I, on the other hand, can't juggle more than a couple variables or rules in my head at once, and absolutely need to diagram all the rules and narrow down the possibilities as much as possible, but when I do get it written out accurately even the hard games get blown over in a matter of minutes

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

LSAT Blog

Silver

Post by LSAT Blog » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:55 pm

Write out the rules in the order that makes the most sense. This isn't necessarily the order in which they're presented.

During the game, don't try to juggle things in your head. Write them down.

jason8821

Bronze

Post by jason8821 » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:00 pm

fosterp wrote:I find that if I am going through a question that isn't the last or second to last and it seems that the answer can't be figured out in about 20 seconds then its because I screwed up a rule or am missing an inference, or i should be making some hypothetical templates on a game where a key rule leaves only few possiblities

having your basic diagram on paper and then able to work the variables and rules in your head for each question I believe is a talent that cannot really be learned, and the people who have such spatial ability shouldn't need to have too much written out

I, on the other hand, can't juggle more than a couple variables or rules in my head at once, and absolutely need to diagram all the rules and narrow down the possibilities as much as possible, but when I do get it written out accurately even the hard games get blown over in a matter of minutes
I agree, but I don't think you need to/should do LG in your head at all. I am sure the majority of people who get 23/23 in this section aren't the people who are brilliant at head math, they are the people who know how to write things down in an organized linear fashion AKA, Math/Science majors.

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 5:09 pm

jason8821 wrote:
fosterp wrote:I find that if I am going through a question that isn't the last or second to last and it seems that the answer can't be figured out in about 20 seconds then its because I screwed up a rule or am missing an inference, or i should be making some hypothetical templates on a game where a key rule leaves only few possiblities

I agree, but I don't think you need to/should do LG in your head at all. I am sure the majority of people who get 23/23 in this section aren't the people who are brilliant at head math, they are the people who know how to write things down in an organized linear fashion AKA, Math/Science majors.
I agree 100%... I am terrible at math but can now do LG without getting one wrong. I think drawing a diagram in addition to writing out the rules helps the most. I always form inferences before I actually look at the questions. This allows me to do the questions quicker. I have also found that I will come to a question that is so blatantly obvious that I can not believe its that easy. Pre-phrasing some things in your head is the key for me.

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Tue Jul 27, 2010 1:39 am

jason8821 wrote:

I suck at math. Last math class I took was statistics in my sophomore year of high school (tested out of my UG math requirement + had a credit from an AP class in HS). LG was my best section (regularly aced it on PTs and the real thing). I agree tho that learning how to diagram properly and making inferences is essential. I always focused my inferences/attack pattern on the most restrictive element(s). Minidiagraming effectively and using previous work also helped me a ton. After a while, the skills needed just came naturally and I could almost predict what the answer would be or at least know where to look to find it. Its also important to know when a large amount of inferences are easily/readily available and when there is a less amount of information that usually means that there will be an abundance of local questions. Like if it is a standard grouping game... just chaining the inferences/contra-positives usually is all you need to do.
LSAT Blog wrote:Write out the rules in the order that makes the most sense. This isn't necessarily the order in which they're presented.

During the game, don't try to juggle things in your head. Write them down.
+1 -- when I would attempt to juggle them in my head I would sometimes misread a rule or skip a rule which is devastating in LGs. I personally would just write down all the rules quickly and put a check mark by each one combining them as I went if it was at all possible. Then move on to my inferences.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”