Why would you care what the LSAC patrols do?

taxguy

Why would you care what the LSAC patrols do?

Postby taxguy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:03 am

I am curious, even if the LSAT patrols found questions and answers here on this forum, why do you care? Do they own this forum? Do they advertise here? What can they do to you?

legalease9

Re: Why would you care what the LSAC patrols do?

Postby legalease9 » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:10 am

Interesting, I wasn't aware anyone did care.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:13 am

LSAC owns all LSAT questions and they sell/license them. Posting test questions and answers here is taking money out of their pocket. LSAC would probably threaten to sue if TLS had a bunch of questions and answers posted.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Fri Jul 09, 2010 10:15 am

It's more about the mods than about LSAC.

The mods care because LSAC can "request" that mods remove posts/threads containing LSAT questions reprinted verbatim on the forum. I suspect the mods would rather that people not post the questions in the first place so they don't have to bother constantly removing the questions.

I don't think it's really a big deal that people can't post the text of questions here.

While it would be nice to save the 15 seconds opening my books to the particular page containing the question being discussed, I think I can live with it.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 1:31 pm

it's called a cease and desist order, you will find out about them during law school. If you don't follow them, then they usually will go to your hosting service and threaten to sue them if they don't shut the site down. The hosting service will pretty quickly shut your site down.

F458JE

Postby F458JE » Fri Jul 09, 2010 4:21 pm

If you do not understand a LR question, just Google the first part of the question. It will direct you to a forum that has the full question and answers, plus other peoples explanations for the correct answer.

Quite a few other forums allow you to post direct questions.

coldskull

Postby coldskull » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:02 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:it's called a cease and desist order, you will find out about them during law school. If you don't follow them, then they usually will go to your hosting service and threaten to sue them if they don't shut the site down. The hosting service will pretty quickly shut your site down.

As long as there in no commercial intent in the posting of questions, LSAC doesnt have a strong legal footing in this matter. Assuming people do not post the whole section/paper, the intent of the posting will be to analyze the question and answer....which should be covered under the 'fair use' clause.

coldskull

Postby coldskull » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:04 pm

coldskull wrote:
Audio Technica Guy wrote:it's called a cease and desist order, you will find out about them during law school. If you don't follow them, then they usually will go to your hosting service and threaten to sue them if they don't shut the site down. The hosting service will pretty quickly shut your site down.

As long as there in no commercial intent in the posting of questions, LSAC doesnt have a strong legal footing in this matter. Assuming people do not post the whole section/paper, the intent of the posting will be to analyze the question and answer....which should be covered under the 'fair use' clause.

FYI, there is popular GMAT forum for sentence correction questions on which questions are posted, analyzed and dissected. They dont seem to be getting any heat from the GMAC....

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Fri Jul 09, 2010 6:11 pm

coldskull wrote:

You're correct, but it usually doesn't matter. LSAC usually threatens the site admins with a C&D, then if that doesn't work they hit the hosting company, who mostly has no idea and forces the website to comply with the C&D or just shuts the site down until it does. Happened to TPR's website back in the day when it was the most popular pre-law website out there.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”