What's the consensus on the Powerscore Reading Comp Bible?

law's cool

What's the consensus on the Powerscore Reading Comp Bible?

Postby law's cool » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:13 pm

Just took the LSAT in June--re-taking again in Oct.

I purchased the LGB and LRB and found the LGB to be pretty helpful (LRB wasn't as helpful).

I need to improve on RC--is the Powerscore RCB worth buying? I've read that many people who bought it merely "skimmed through it" and didn't find it to be nearly as helpful as the other two PS books.

dcgbm

Re: What's the consensus on the Powerscore Reading Comp Bible?

Postby dcgbm » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:19 pm

I don't recommend it. Much of the content overlaps with the LRB, and whatever doesn't is quite trivial and obvious.

Miracle

Postby Miracle » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:43 pm

then what would yoou suggest?

koolfrog11

Postby koolfrog11 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:41 am

Hard to say. It was my 2nd worst / 2nd best section starting out and turned into my strongest during prep. I echo not buying RC Bible. I own it and didn't love it but I also took the PS class. You won't learn anything from it. If you don't get a lot of practice it's good for that. There is no magic for RC like there is for LG and to a lesser degree LR. Just get used to the type of questions, find out the 4 main types of passages (1 each for: science (hard or social), law, art, and one other. There is one section with two different passages. The best advice I got for RC is on the section w/ 2 dif. passages just check questions before beginning reading and if one deals specifically with the first pass., read that and answer the ? b4 moving to the 2nd. Same for the 2nd - read pass. 2 and do pass. 2 specific ?s before ones that deal with both. Other than that just practice practice with a timer, although don't beat yourself up with the timer, time will come. Best advice I can give: practice, read CAREFULLY and mark passages, take your time reading and don't rush it, then once you know the passage answer the ?s. They shouldn't take too long if you read carefully...

tallboone

Postby tallboone » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:11 am

For most people, the reading comp section is the hardest on which to improve. I found the bible somewhat helpful because of the basic strategies that they suggested, but these strategies really are very basic. I saw most of my improvement in reading comp (which wasn't much, but two or three questions makes a huge difference on this test when you reach the 90th percentile and above) when I really just took time to analyze what I was getting wrong in reading comp. I then tried to figure out why I was getting it wrong, and I actually decided that I was reading too fast and needed to slow down a little bit. I think for reading comp, maybe more than any other section, there really are no strategies that will work for the majority of students. You just need to realize what you are getting wrong and how your timing is on the section.

TheTopBloke

Postby TheTopBloke » Tue Jul 06, 2010 3:08 am

Save your money. The only bible from powerscore worth purchasing IMHO is the logic games bible.

dcgbm

Postby dcgbm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 4:23 am

LRB is definitely worth it as well.

I suggest just taking practice RCs and going over the wrong answer choices. Getting too involved with marking techniques and that sort of thing made me worse at RC. I'm not sure if this is the best way to go about it for everyone, but surprisingly I started doing the best by putting my pencil down, just reading the passage, then doing the questions. That's how i read in real life, so I found I retained the information the best without any marks.

lmperri

Postby lmperri » Tue Jul 06, 2010 7:34 am

I have recently started going through the RCB because RC was my worst section and I fell in love with the LRB. My thought is on the whole thing personally to try it. So far I have noticed that they give good advice on how to attack sections and what to look for. While for some this may be obvious or come natural, to me, based on my test scores, it clearly wasnt. I didnt want to waste the money at first based on everyone, but I figured that an extra $40 or whatever is worth it even if it gives me a few tips that help me answer even just a few more questions right. I am reading the book and taking notes on what I believe to be interesting advice and then trying it out in the examples and things they give you. If I find it doesnt come naturally to me or it doesnt make sense to do something that way than I dont do it. So far though I have found a few tricks that have made me feel more comfortable already while doing RC.

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:20 am

It didn't blow me away, but it was worth an afternoon to read through.

sumus romani

Postby sumus romani » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:25 am

To answer the OP's thread title: there is no consensus, as made clear in this thread.

Cardboardbox

Postby Cardboardbox » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:44 am

I had the RCB and used it for practice but not much of the technique. This is gonna sound like a pitch but I honestly have no affiliation with the company outside of a great experience being a student, but I took an Atlas course and their method towards RC is awesome. I only got a -1 on RC on my last LSAT and I fully attribute it to what they taught me. I know they have books (though I learned it in a class) but I think they have free info on their website, you should def. give it a look and see if they explain the method on their forums or anything.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:49 am

Cardboardbox wrote:I had the RCB and used it for practice but not much of the technique. This is gonna sound like a pitch but I honestly have no affiliation with the company outside of a great experience being a student, but I took an Atlas course and their method towards RC is awesome. I only got a -1 on RC on my last LSAT and I fully attribute it to what they taught me. I know they have books (though I learned it in a class) but I think they have free info on their website, you should def. give it a look and see if they explain the method on their forums or anything.

Thanks for the suggestion, I've heard some good things too.

crysmissmichelle

Postby crysmissmichelle » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:51 am

I was very hit or miss on the RC section before reading the RC Bible. . . . .while it is not a "cure-all," it gives sure ways to "attack" the passage and mark it up. I normally don't like marking, but with these passages it is a good idea. The big thing about the RC Bible is that it shows you the most THOROUGH way to mark and reminds you to develop your own style in the same vein. . .

I noticed that I got much slower for two to four practices after reading it, but started getting faster and faster. It helps you pay attention, as that was one of my problems. . .I kept losing focus in the middle. . . this gave me strategies to combat that. . .it also shows typical questions, and strategies for those questions.

If RC is a weak point for you, do read this book. . .you may not need to own it though, see if your library has it.

StirFry101

Postby StirFry101 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:30 pm

They pretty much just tell you to use their VIEWSTAMP technique to pick out the five things they feel are important. Viewpoints, structure, tone, arguments and main points. They go into detail and tell you why these things are important, but I feel that they have a good strategy.

The problem is, most people have their own strategy and have a hard time learning RCB's strategy. This is unlike LGB where most people have a very limited strategy entering OR they know that they need to map games they just don't know how to identify these games and what techniques are best. So I'd say that it's worth a read if you're willing to faithfully follow it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”