can I transfer out of a non aba school?

katyt

can I transfer out of a non aba school?

Postby katyt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:12 pm

Hi, I was accepted to the re-named law school in Mass., the UMASS School of Law at Dartmouth. I didn't do so hot on my LSATS and i am hoping to transfer. I was wondering if anyone knows of schools that I might be able to transfer to and if I can even transfer in the first place to an ABA school!!

All the ABA schools requirements for transfer students say one must come from an ABA school. I really want to transfer out after my first year. If anyone has any information about such things, please let me know!

Thank you

Teoeo

Re: can I transfer out of a non aba school?

Postby Teoeo » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:13 pm

katyt wrote:Hi, I was accepted to the re-named law school in Mass., the UMASS School of Law at Dartmouth. I didn't do so hot on my LSATS and i am hoping to transfer. I was wondering if anyone knows of schools that I might be able to transfer to and if I can even transfer in the first place to an ABA school!!

All the ABA schools requirements for transfer students say one must come from an ABA school. I really want to transfer out after my first year. If anyone has any information about such things, please let me know!

Thank you

hth

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:20 pm

I doubt you can transfer, and if you can it wont be to a school that's much better. Even worse, I don't think you can sit for the bar in many states if you went to a non-approved school. Have you considered taking a year off to study? I'm not as elitist as many on TLS but I'm not sure I'd matriculate there.

katyt

Postby katyt » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:46 pm

Well I called the ABA and they said non ABA students can transfer to ABA schools, i am just confused because all the ABA schools websites say one must come from an ABA school, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything for sure about this or went through a similar experience.

Thank you

Postby 03121202698008 » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:49 pm

katyt wrote:Well I called the ABA and they said non ABA students can transfer to ABA schools, i am just confused because all the ABA schools websites say one must come from an ABA school, so I was wondering if anyone knows anything for sure about this or went through a similar experience.

Thank you

The ABA doesn't prohibit it but each school sets their own rules. Most, if not all, schools have chosen to use ABA accreditation as a means of defining minimum standards for their students.

A'nold

Postby A'nold » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:54 pm

Cooley? I mean, if you are 100% going to ls no matter what and are 100% set on transferring, why not attend Cooley or Appalachian and just drop out if you don't do well enough to transfer? If you are willing to gamble, gamble.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”