retake, dont retake?

saraK

retake, dont retake?

Postby saraK » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:23 pm

I just took the June LSAT and got a 165 and now I'm deciding whether to retake or not. I took about 12 practice tests (including diagnostic). I started with a 156 and for the first month was testing consistently at 161. For the couple weeks (and about 5 practice tests) prior to the actual test I seemed to have a breakthrough I was testing consistently at 169. I'm fairly happy with my score but I'm trying to counter a fairly low GPA. So I was hoping someone could give me some help in making this decision. If I retake how much do I need to increase my score to really make a difference on applications? Would taking it in October be the best idea? If I retake the test and do the same or lose a point or two how much will that hurt my applications? Any insight into this would be really helpful!

najumobi

Re: retake, dont retake?

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:26 pm

saraK wrote:I just took the June LSAT and got a 165 and now I'm deciding whether to retake or not. I took about 12 practice tests (including diagnostic). I started with a 156 and for the first month was testing consistently at 161. For the couple weeks (and about 5 practice tests) prior to the actual test I seemed to have a breakthrough I was testing consistently at 169. I'm fairly happy with my score but I'm trying to counter a fairly low GPA. So I was hoping someone could give me some help in making this decision. If I retake how much do I need to increase my score to really make a difference on applications? Would taking it in October be the best idea? If I retake the test and do the same or lose a point or two how much will that hurt my applications? Any insight into this would be really helpful!
the answer depends on where you were looking to apply/attend... which schools? also what is your gpa?

saraK

Postby saraK » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:35 pm

I'm planning on applying to Emory, UGa, U Florida, Colorado, UNC, Wisconsin, and probably a few others. I have a 3.3 at Michigan.

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:44 pm

You seem to be pretty solid at a lot of those schools. Getting a higher LSAT score might give you (more) money at those schools. I wouldnt retake. You have a solid score and you do run the risk of scoring lower. Take some PT's and see how you do. Retake based off of your results.

Good luck!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:58 pm

saraK wrote:I'm planning on applying to Emory, UGa, U Florida, Colorado, UNC, Wisconsin, and probably a few others. I have a 3.3 at Michigan.

with your current stats:
unrealistic reach:
emory

target:
wisconsin, colorado, georgia

strong target:
florida

you'll need a 166 to get into emory. a 166 would make you almost a lock there. and if you can get at least a 168 it would be worth it to send an application cornell.
169 for michigan and vandy.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:07 pm

najumobi wrote:
saraK wrote:I'm planning on applying to Emory, UGa, U Florida, Colorado, UNC, Wisconsin, and probably a few others. I have a 3.3 at Michigan.

with your current stats:
unrealistic reach:
emory

target:
wisconsin, colorado, georgia

strong target:
florida

you'll need a 166 to get into emory. a 166 would make you almost a lock there. and if you can get at least a 168 it would be worth it to send an application cornell.
169 for michigan and vandy.

maybe... last years median was 166, if they continue increasing their median 166 could potentially be the 25th for c/o 2013

OP: If you know you can do better then retake

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:21 pm

lawduder wrote:
najumobi wrote:you'll need a 166 to get into emory. a 166 would make you almost a lock there. and if you can get at least a 168 it would be worth it to send an application cornell. 169 for michigan and vandy.
maybe... last years median was 166, if they continue increasing their median 166 could potentially be the 25th for c/o 2013
heheh...good point.

saraK

Postby saraK » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:25 pm

while on the topic.... any other suggestions of schools I should apply to with my current stats?? thanks!

najumobi

Postby najumobi » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:45 pm

saraK wrote:while on the topic.... any other suggestions of schools I should apply to with my current stats?? thanks!

unrealistic reach:
washington and lee
william and mary
minnesota

realistic reach:
university of washington

target:
iowa, ohio state

safety:
wake
smu
houston

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Jul 05, 2010 7:15 pm

Everything depends on where you want to end up/work. Dont fall into the "rankings" trap. A higher ranked school doesnt necessarily mean better. Aside from the top 14, law schools are primarily regional. Boston College, Notre Dame and UGA are ranked above UNC, but UNC grads place much better in NC than grads from those other schools. Understand that for the most part where you go to school is where youre going to end up working. So, choose a school thats located in a place you wouldnt mind working.

Good luck!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”