LSAT Timing

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

LSAT Timing

Postby tooswolle » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:18 am

First time poster, long time TLS follower. I've recently been starting to prepare for the October LSAT and have read the LG Bible, and the LR Bible. I've taken a few untimed practice tests and have made a pretty large jump from an intial diagnostic of 143 to an average in the low to mid 160's. However, the problem is that I haven't taken a timed practice test and wanted to know the best way to add the time factor to my preparation but be able to maintain my accuracy. Thanks in advance for the help.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby tooswolle » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:45 pm

bump*

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby glucose101 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 2:54 pm

I think by actually taking a few practice tests timed would be beneficial. You'll be able to track which sections are taking longer, and then you'll be able to pace yourself on those sections, etc.

Eliyahu7
Posts: 41
Joined: Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:03 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby Eliyahu7 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:13 pm

Once you have developed your logical ability, the best thing you can do is just keeping doing timed practice over and over again. The thing is, 35 minutes is actually more than enough time to complete each section. Confidence and familiarity is really key here, learn to master the clock by doing timed practice so much that it doesn't intimidate you. Of course, you have not yet mastered the skills to work through the questions, jumping into timed drills might actually be detrimental.

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:15 pm

I honestly wouldn't start worrying about timing for a while. I think you'd be better off practicing till your at least getting the score you want or higher on the untimed tests then adding in timing. Practicing with timing is important but if you are getting the majority of the questions right chance are your timing won't be a big issue because you will be efficiently handling the questions. I would only worry about timing after you are getting a comfortable percentage of the questions right consistently.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:25 pm

At some point you just have to man up and start timing yourself. The real LSAT is timed so you need to get used to that. The only way you're going to be able to improve speed is through practice. Once you start taking timed practice tests you'll get a feel for how fast you need to go in order to finish within 35 minutes. By the time you're ready to take the LSAT you should have a nice rhythm when taking a section. It just feels natural after you've done it so many times.

Another thing you should keep in mind is that as you get better at the material you'll naturally get faster. The LSAT is very, very repetitive. You can count on the fact that every administration will cover the same core concepts and ideas. Because of this once you've mastered some of the concepts you can blow threw them on future tests. Instead of spending 60 seconds on a LR question you will immediately see what's going on and you'll answer it in 20 seconds. This frees up a lot of time and allows you to fully consider the tougher questions.

Best of luck with prep.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby tooswolle » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:42 pm

I'd like to first of all thank everybody for their help. Right now I've been working on mastering the questions and improving my overall understanding of the test. I normally take the prep tests and then go over the problems that I missed and try to understand why I missed it. Logical Reasoning has always been my weakness ( I started at a very atrocious 10-12 questions right), any advice on getting to the point where I miss 1 or 2 questions at the most. Right now I tend to average 18-19 questions right on logical reasoning and the worst part is I know i can do better but its pretty hard. Finally i'd like to ask, how likely is it for someone scoring in the 160's (untimed) to move up to the 170's. I know time is going to be a factor but since its really early in the game I want to gain as much mastery of the questions as possible, before time becomes an issue.

User avatar
KibblesAndVick
Posts: 541
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 5:29 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby KibblesAndVick » Sun Jul 04, 2010 3:53 pm

tooswolle wrote:I'd like to first of all thank everybody for their help. Right now I've been working on mastering the questions and improving my overall understanding of the test. I normally take the prep tests and then go over the problems that I missed and try to understand why I missed it. Logical Reasoning has always been my weakness ( I started at a very atrocious 10-12 questions right), any advice on getting to the point where I miss 1 or 2 questions at the most. Right now I tend to average 18-19 questions right on logical reasoning and the worst part is I know i can do better but its pretty hard. Finally i'd like to ask, how likely is it for someone scoring in the 160's (untimed) to move up to the 170's. I know time is going to be a factor but since its really early in the game I want to gain as much mastery of the questions as possible, before time becomes an issue.


Taking the tests and going over them is the best way to study imo so I'd definitely suggest that you keep doing that. If you look at the questions you miss on LR is there any sort of pattern? Do you miss a lot of parallel reasoning questions (or anything other type) or is it pretty random? Do you miss more of later questions than early questions? If you can find a specific weakness you can try and drill that problem type.

If you're scoring in the 160's untimed it's going to be difficult to get into the 170's timed. However, you have a lot of time and the only thing you have to conquer is yourself. If you continue to practice and review mistakes you should keep seeing improvement.

User avatar
tooswolle
Posts: 491
Joined: Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:48 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby tooswolle » Sun Jul 04, 2010 4:51 pm

Right now I tend to be missing parallel reasoning questions, the questions that ask what something in the argument is doing for the argument I.e it is a subsidiary conclusion. After that the questions seem to get random and they're normally the questions in the back of the section. What I've learned from my mistakes so far is to be really careful when reading the stimulus looking for inferences and in general having a literal understanding of it, most importantly I have learned to try to dodge unwarranted assumptions and to focus on answers that I prephrased or contain support in the stimulus. Is there anything else, I should be doing, to help me improve?

dabbadon8
Posts: 767
Joined: Tue May 11, 2010 2:17 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby dabbadon8 » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:29 pm

tooswolle wrote:Right now I tend to be missing parallel reasoning questions, the questions that ask what something in the argument is doing for the argument I.e it is a subsidiary conclusion. After that the questions seem to get random and they're normally the questions in the back of the section. What I've learned from my mistakes so far is to be really careful when reading the stimulus looking for inferences and in general having a literal understanding of it, most importantly I have learned to try to dodge unwarranted assumptions and to focus on answers that I prephrased or contain support in the stimulus. Is there anything else, I should be doing, to help me improve?


One problem I had was making careless errors. I found circling the word(s) that tells you what kind of question (ex: assumption, most closely follows, etc.) and also "except." I would often in a rush skim over the except, then obviously find a right answer and move on.

User avatar
Lokomani
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:54 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby Lokomani » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:42 pm

I think you should go back over both the LR and LG bible and stop wasting your time (and material) doing full untimed PT's until you can get the most use out of them. First, I recommend just trying a few problems of EVERY question type, and going back over the PT's you've finished to check what type of problems that seem to consistently stump you. I cannot stress enough that you have to make the MOST of your PT's, and if after reading both the LG and LR Bibles you aren't consistently recognizing and attacking the questions based on type you may not have absorbed the material fully. This is especially true if under lax conditions you're still missing lots of questions. You can do it, you just have some major legwork ahead of you.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: LSAT Timing

Postby angiej » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:50 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:I honestly wouldn't start worrying about timing for a while. I think you'd be better off practicing till your at least getting the score you want or higher on the untimed tests then adding in timing. Practicing with timing is important but if you are getting the majority of the questions right chance are your timing won't be a big issue because you will be efficiently handling the questions. I would only worry about timing after you are getting a comfortable percentage of the questions right consistently.


+1,000,000! I jumped into taking timed PT's too early and really short-changed myself. I became so absorbed with rushing that I no longer made upward progress on answering correctly or perfected my skills. Its really the number 1 thing I wish I had done differently.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Instrumental and 4 guests