Another "how much can I improve" question..

Is is likely!?!

Yes, you can do anything if you put your mind to it
83%
No, you are a loser and will have to suffer going to a T-2 school!
17%

Total votes: 6

jdhopeful11

Another "how much can I improve" question..

Postby jdhopeful11 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 3:41 pm

I decided last month that I wasn't going to retake the LSAT in June. Instead, I decided ti take it in October instead. I took the test in February and got a 148 without ideal time for proper preparation - I spent more time taking older PTs than I should have because I didnt know the test had transformed through the years, and I didnt emphasize studying and preparing under timed conditions nearly as much as i should have. Anyway, I have read through articles on this site, and I am ready to make the necessary adjustments for the October LSAT. As of now, I am consistently scoring in the 155-159 range on the newer PTs. I have read both bibles and plan to do a brush up once again, and have kaplan LG & LR mastery, along with PTs 40-58. My original preparation included many more older PTs than newer ones, LR mastery practice with going over my wrong answers with the "tests explained." But, like I said earlier, I did not emphasize too strongly on time. I did not waste much time on RC either, and had less than 2 months to study. With that said, is it unrealistic to shoot for a score in the 170s for the October test?

Oh and my weakest section is RC. I think im so weak at it because I used to ace them when taking the older PTs. I did not anticipate the level of difficulty that the newer tests have for that section. I know that its the hardest section to improve on, but is the best way to improve by continuing to do PTs? I tried reading articles on how to be a better RC test taker, but I am too stubborn to give my technique a makeover. If this rant warrants any tips then please share.

dabbadon8

Re: Another "how much can I improve" question..

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:55 pm

andyman wrote:I decided last month that I wasn't going to retake the LSAT in June. Instead, I decided ti take it in October instead. I took the test in February and got a 148 without ideal time for proper preparation - I spent more time taking older PTs than I should have because I didnt know the test had transformed through the years, and I didnt emphasize studying and preparing under timed conditions nearly as much as i should have. Anyway, I have read through articles on this site, and I am ready to make the necessary adjustments for the October LSAT. As of now, I am consistently scoring in the 155-159 range on the newer PTs. I have read both bibles and plan to do a brush up once again, and have kaplan LG & LR mastery, along with PTs 40-58. My original preparation included many more older PTs than newer ones, LR mastery practice with going over my wrong answers with the "tests explained." But, like I said earlier, I did not emphasize too strongly on time. I did not waste much time on RC either, and had less than 2 months to study. With that said, is it unrealistic to shoot for a score in the 170s for the October test?

Oh and my weakest section is RC. I think im so weak at it because I used to ace them when taking the older PTs. I did not anticipate the level of difficulty that the newer tests have for that section. I know that its the hardest section to improve on, but is the best way to improve by continuing to do PTs? I tried reading articles on how to be a better RC test taker, but I am too stubborn to give my technique a makeover. If this rant warrants any tips then please share.

I moved up 21 pts over a month or so of intense studying from 152 diagnostic to 173. There are a lot of good tips on TLS, a couple people wrote guides that are very useful. I feel there is a definitive point, at least there was with me, when things clicked. This came from seeing as many questions as I could. One thing that I felt helped my RC was reading dense material in my free time. I think scoring 170 is very plausible but it will take a lot of devotion and some luck (I know it took both for me).

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:59 pm

I also moved up 21 points so yeah it's doable.

fenway

Postby fenway » Sat Jul 03, 2010 5:05 pm

you guys mind sharing some of your methods/tips on the thread?

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 8:46 pm

fenway wrote:you guys mind sharing some of your methods/tips on the thread?

The best tip I could give is to forget about timing until you are consistently getting the significant majority of the questions right. Focus on getting comfortable with the material. If you can't get it right with unlimited time, practicing with timing is only going to make your studying less productive. Once you get enough practice under your belt your timing with correct it's self and then you can can just fine tune it. Also a lot of people get hung up because of what the courses tell them (at least my experience with Kaplan). They spend their time trying to learn to identify the type of question. I mainly did individual sections and then a full timed test once a week. Basically just do as many questions as possible (redoing them over again is good to) and eventually things should click.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”