how do i prep for the big one

detroit one

how do i prep for the big one

Postby detroit one » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:06 am

i just got done reading a number of books on logic. i also have bought all 3 powerscore books, the 4 lsat prep books, and a so duko for dummies. i take the test in feb. and i am just a bit cautious where to start. i dont want to start something and have it be the wrong subject. power score comes in reading comprehension, logic games, and logic reasoning. i am taknig logic this fall along with ethics and business writing. please give some input on how to handle this monster. chris

Geat27

Re: how do i prep for the big one

Postby Geat27 » Sat Jul 03, 2010 1:15 am

Hi Chris, I'll let you know what worked for me. First, take a few practice tests (with a timer, in a quiet spot, like a library -- try to simulate the real conditions of test-taking). See if you can find the time to take three practice tests. Then, score the tests. See whether there is any area (Logic Games, Logical Reasoning, Reading Comprehension) in which you are particularly weak.

Make sure to spend the most time studying in the areas in which you are the weakest -- the biggest gains can probably be found there.

Study using the books you bought, and taking practice questions. I used a PowerScore book for logic games, and thought it was great.

Once you have studied the different question types and feel more comfortable with them, take a practice test -- under timed conditions. Make sure to record your score.

Keep studying and take occasional practice tests (under timed conditions), always recording your score.

The scores you get on the last couple practice tests you take before taking the actual LSAT will very probably be very close to your LSAT score.

The LSAT is a hard test, and the potential for improvement through studying and practice is enormous. The test is also given huge weight by law schools in the admissions process (it may be the predominant factor). It might not be unwise to spend 50 or 100 hours studying and taking practice tests.

And one more thing -- You might consider taking an LSAT course, but they are expensive. If you are disciplined about setting aside time to study, I think you can do without a course.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”