Using Bibles vs. "saving" Qs

donnie

Using Bibles vs. "saving" Qs

Postby donnie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:36 am

Looking for some perspective on the following issue: I started studying LGs a few weeks ago and have gone through the Powerscore LG Bible. Specifically with LGs, I feel that if an LG I've seen before comes up when I do a timed, full Preptest, I won't remember it enough for my score to be positively skewed. I'd like to move on to the Powerscore LR Bible (and RC as well), but am concerned that I will "taint" too many full length Preptests that I would want to take timed closer to the test, because the LR Bible (and RC Bible) samples from so many different Preptests. I feel that were I to encounter in a timed Preptest an LR or RC question that I've seen before, I would likely recall the correct answer and thus skew the results.

Thoughts on this?

Thanks

Unshake

Re: Using Bibles vs. "saving" Qs

Postby Unshake » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:12 am

Relative to the amount of questions out there, I feel like the LRB (all I have gone through) doesn't really have that many questions. I am doing some of the Kaplan mastery as well and I still feel like I will have plenty of new questions. Furthermore, sometimes encountering old questions isn't all bad. You get a better feel for why the answers are right. It might throw your score off slightly on practice tests, but I feel like that is unimportant. Furthermore, if questions are a month old, I doubt you'll really remember the answer entirely, especially if it wasn't a notably hard question.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:19 am

Ultimately, learning the correct methods for approaching the questions is far more important than your PT scores, so you should definitely read the Bibles. And like above poster said, you probably won't have anything but a vague recollection a month after you see a question anyway. If you're worried about it, you could try to get the older versions of the PS Bibles which came out in 2003. Then you can take PTs 42 and on "untainted." I unknowingly did this. Worked out kind of nice :)

katiem

Postby katiem » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:53 pm

I didn't remember any of the LR questions from the LRB. Plus there are so many LR questions with very similar topics that after a while they ALL start to seem familiar. I did remember the games, but the last several PTs were completely "untainted" so it wasn't a big deal.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Jul 03, 2010 10:35 pm

katiem wrote:I didn't remember any of the LR questions from the LRB. Plus there are so many LR questions with very similar topics that after a while they ALL start to seem familiar. I did remember the games, but the last several PTs were completely "untainted" so it wasn't a big deal.

I think after a certain time, you might remember the "story of the game" but not the inferences or any ways to help solve it. I'd guess that time period is about 30 days to totally forget how to solve it/recognize it.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”