Retaking the free Kaplan proctored exam - good or bad?

Canarsie

Retaking the free Kaplan proctored exam - good or bad?

Postby Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:50 pm

There is a free proctored Kaplan test coming up soon in my area. I took it about a year and a half ago and got my diagnostic. I am at the beginning of my prep, and was wondering if I should take this exam again? I don't know if it's the exact same exam I took Feb/2009. I figured if it was it might be stupid to retake it since I've already seen the questions... but it's also been a very long time and I have some basic guidelines and tactics under my belt now.

Thanks for any feedback.
Last edited by Canarsie on Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

rx3r

Re: Retaking the free Kaplan proctored exam - good or bad?

Postby rx3r » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:54 pm

Does Kaplan even use real LSAT questions?

If not, why waste your time?

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:55 pm

at worst it's a mild waste of time. I say go for it.

Near

Postby Near » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:57 pm

It will likely be the same, but it will be a real LSAT (36 maybe). I say take it again. See what questions you still miss.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:57 pm

rx3r wrote:Does Kaplan even use real LSAT questions?

If not, why waste your time?

I don't know. I assumed the practice exam was a real past LSAT. If it's not then I definitely won't bother.

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 pm

In my area, I asked them, and they said that they only use PT 36 for free proctored tests (kind of a shame, because I was hoping to abuse their free tests a few times during the prepping process).

You don't really have anything to lose from taking it, and the experience with a proctored test is useful. Also, it's been 18 months, so I'm sure you've forgotten a ton of the test.

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:03 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:In my area, I asked them, and they said that they only use PT 36 for free proctored tests (kind of a shame, because I was hoping to abuse their free tests a few times during the prepping process).

You don't really have anything to lose from taking it, and the experience with a proctored test is useful. Also, it's been 18 months, so I'm sure you've forgotten a ton of the test.

credited

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:07 pm

Yes they do.

I think Kaplan just uses the same test for all of their free proctored practice LSATs. Had a friend take one with them last year and one this year and she says they were the same. Princeton Review does the same thing, I took one with them last year and one this year and they used the same test both times.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:09 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

Yes they do.

I think Kaplan just uses the same test for all of their free proctored practice LSATs. Had a friend take one with them last year and one this year and she says they were the same. Princeton Review does the same thing, I took one with them last year and one this year and they used the same test both times.

Yeah, everybody I know who gives free PT's uses one real one over and over. I think the experimental may be made up.

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:10 pm

My understanding is that Kaplan uses PT36 for all their free marketing proctored exams.

If you can, you should still go to several of these, though - just bring your own PT (and 5th section from another PT) and take that one instead.

Edit: If you tell them you've already done PT36, they might be able/willing to provide you with a different PT. Just request it in advance so they'll have it ready for you if they're able to accommodate.

blackwater88

Postby blackwater88 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:38 pm

Canarsie wrote:There is a free proctored Kaplan test coming up soon in my area. I took it about a year and a half ago and got my diagnostic. I am at the beginning of my prep, and was wondering if I should take this exam again? I don't know if it's the exact same exam I took Feb/2009. I figured if it was it might be stupid to retake it since I've already seen the questions... but it's also been a very long time and I have some basic guidelines and tactics under my belt now.

Thanks for any feedback.

Buy a real PT with experimental and take it to the proctored administration. It's not like you have to use their test.

EDIT: Goddamit, LSAT Blog beat me to it.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:44 pm

blackwater88 wrote:
Canarsie wrote:There is a free proctored Kaplan test coming up soon in my area. I took it about a year and a half ago and got my diagnostic. I am at the beginning of my prep, and was wondering if I should take this exam again? I don't know if it's the exact same exam I took Feb/2009. I figured if it was it might be stupid to retake it since I've already seen the questions... but it's also been a very long time and I have some basic guidelines and tactics under my belt now.

Thanks for any feedback.

Buy a real PT with experimental and take it to the proctored administration. It's not like you have to use their test.

EDIT: Goddamit, LSAT Blog beat me to it.

well, they could ask you to leave, depending on who is there. Also, it bears repeating that they do give real PT's. Not sure if you meant to imply they don't, but just want to be totally clear there, since there is a lot of confusion on that point.

katiem

Postby katiem » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:52 pm

It's worth calling ahead to ask what test they're using. One time they offered me 36 or 51. That wouldn't be good for you because you'd want to save 51 for the end of your prep, but they might have a different one. (Also, people brought their own PT to both of the ones I went to. It wasn't a big deal.)

BigA

Postby BigA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:59 pm

If you remember a single thing from 18 months ago, you have an unbelievable memory

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:11 pm

I did this. It's worthless. I got the same fucking score after retaking the class for free. If you keep doing what you've done, you'll keep getting what you've got. Buy some power score bibles, focus on your weak points, and start taking weekly PTs.

DO NOT, just retake the class.

BigA

Postby BigA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:15 pm

megaTTTron wrote:I did this. It's worthless. I got the same fucking score after retaking the class for free. If you keep doing what you've done, you'll keep getting what you've got. Buy some power score bibles, focus on your weak points, and start taking weekly PTs.

RC fail?

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:18 pm

BigA wrote:
megaTTTron wrote:I did this. It's worthless. I got the same fucking score after retaking the class for free. If you keep doing what you've done, you'll keep getting what you've got. Buy some power score bibles, focus on your weak points, and start taking weekly PTs.

RC fail?

ahahaha. dear god, I need to get off TLS. EPIC RC fail. Ironic, that RC was my worst section . . . fml.

BigA

Postby BigA » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:25 pm

not really ironic..... It's like RAA EEE AIIIIIIIN!

megaTTTron

Postby megaTTTron » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:06 pm

BigA wrote:not really ironic..... It's like RAA EEE AIIIIIIIN!

makes me think about dogma. man. remember when ben affleck didn't suck?

gdane

Postby gdane » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:44 pm

You guys are lame for using the words fail and epic...

Kaplans been using PT36 for about 2 years now and they have no plans to change it anytime soon. I asked about a month ago because I was considering doing the same thing OP wants to do. Im going to retake it anyway in a few weeks just for the hell of it. It can only help.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:30 am

gdane5 wrote:You guys are lame for using the words fail and epic...

Do you even know what it was referring to? Epic RC fail??

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”