3 months to go

Nulli Secundus

3 months to go

Postby Nulli Secundus » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:19 am

So approximately 3 months remaining to October LSAT, my averages so far in 11 timed PTs are as follows,

LR: -6,18
LG: -1,45
RC: -2,27
Raw: 91,09
Scaled: 171,90 (2 x 178)

I gathered from another thread that my foreign GPA will not play a gigantic role, so I am left with LSAT score to impress AdComms with. My question is am I, according to above averages, capable of reasonably increasing my grade on exam day to over 175, which I assume is needed for creme de la creme, assuming no extraordinary conditions affecting exam performance and a good amount of studying time invested until the exam?

Nulli Secundus

Re: 3 months to go

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:24 am

Bumpenstein.

dub

Postby dub » Fri Jul 02, 2010 3:50 am

No.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:30 pm

Any serious answers? Preferably with pointers as to how I can do it, if I seem to have the potential, like how to get that LR under control etc?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:42 pm

nullisecundus wrote:So approximately 3 months remaining to October LSAT, my averages so far in 11 timed PTs are as follows,

LR: -6,18
LG: -1,45
RC: -2,27
Raw: 91,09
Scaled: 171,90 (2 x 178)

I gathered from another thread that my foreign GPA will not play a gigantic role, so I am left with LSAT score to impress AdComms with. My question is am I, according to above averages, capable of reasonably increasing my grade on exam day to over 175, which I assume is needed for creme de la creme, assuming no extraordinary conditions affecting exam performance and a good amount of studying time invested until the exam?

its harder to improve when ur that high in the percentiles. i would review my wrongs answers AND right answers thoroughly after each PT. i wouldnt change my method/strategies at all except for doing sections in less time (34, 33, 32, 31 or 30 minutes).

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:21 pm

I'm not sure exactly what the numbers you have listed above after the commas mean?

I've definitely seen a lot of people go up from a 171 to 175+ with a few months to really refine.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Those are numbers with decimal points, as in arithmetic mean of all aspects of 11 PTs. (Arithmetic mean of number of questions I got wrong in LG in all 11 is 1.45 e.g.)
Last edited by Nulli Secundus on Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

balzern

Postby balzern » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:25 pm

Hey Audio I know you are a teacher at a prep company, I scored pretty crappy on the last June test and want to improve by 7 points at least (I am in the 150s) and I am taking a prep class now. Advice?

am060459

Postby am060459 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:32 pm

Audio Technica Guy wrote:I'm not sure exactly what the numbers you have listed above after the commas mean?

I've definitely seen a lot of people go up from a 171 to 175+ with a few months to really refine.

you have 35 minutes to a section. it may be advisable for those scoring in the 170s to attempt to finish sections in less than the allotted time.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:40 pm

balzern wrote:Hey Audio I know you are a teacher at a prep company, I scored pretty crappy on the last June test and want to improve by 7 points at least (I am in the 150s) and I am taking a prep class now. Advice?

Biggest pieces of advice I can give you are:

1) Do your homework THOROUGHLY. A lot of time students will just race through the questions trying to get the right answers as fast as they can. Make sure you are doing the methods your teacher is giving you. While I like TPR's methods best, to be honest, most of the test companies have good methods. The big problem is students doing them half-heartedly, if at all. It's kind of like if you're practicing golf and you realize you're swinging poorly, it's better to stop than to keep practicing while swinging poorly, because all you do at that point is reinforce bad habits. Doing homework is all about reinforcing the right way. This will take a long time at first and can be frustrating, but it certainly pays off.

2) Review everything you do THOROUGHLY. This is a constant theme, though it's implementation varies throughout the sections. For RC and LR, mostly this has to do with making sure you understand the 4 questions for everything you miss:
1) What about the wrong answer that I chose made me chose it?
2) What about the wrong answer that I chose made it wrong that I missed?
3) What about the right answer made me eliminate it?
4) What about the right answer did I miss that made it right?

Students tend to focus on 2 and 4 (if they review their work at all) when I think 1 and 3 are just as important if not more important. This will take a really long time at first, but it will get faster as you get more used ot it and it will make your process of elimination much faster and confident on section you do later. And RC and LR are ALL about process of elimination.

For games this means making sure you understand:
1) how to setup the game
2) how you were supposed to know how to set the game up that way
3) how to symbolize the rules
4) how you knew to symbolize them that way
5) What all the deductions were
6) How to make those deductions
7) how you knew to look for that type of deduction in this game.
Some mediocre teachers will tend to gloss over points 2, 4 and 7. They will just show you the "right way" and leave it at that. Huge mistake. Make your teacher fully explain those points out on any games you had trouble with, because those are the keys to being able to apply what you learned in THIS game to ANOTHER game. Which is obviously the key to improvement.

There is obviously a lot more than that, but I think those are the areas that have separated the students who improved 10-20 points from the students who went up 5-10 points. All teachers teach the methods relatively decently and almost all the methods are basically okay. It's your ability to nail down those points that I outlined above that really separates the good from the great, in my experience.

balzern

Postby balzern » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:43 pm

Thanks so much! I will definitely review what I learn and strive to understand. This was my biggest problem when I went through the Bibles, I did them to do them and didn't fully understand everything. That being said I really like your golf analogy (partially because it is beautiful outside and I am stuck at work, and because it makes a lot of sence). Hopefully I can understand the test and methods a lot more by October!

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Fri Jul 02, 2010 2:44 pm

am060459 wrote:
Audio Technica Guy wrote:I'm not sure exactly what the numbers you have listed above after the commas mean?

you have 35 minutes to a section. it may be advisable for those scoring in the 170s to attempt to finish sections in less than the allotted time.

1) I was responding to the original post.

2) I think it's generally not advisable to finish in less than the allotted time, you should aim to be finishing up comfortably but not way ahead of time, using your last little bit of time on particularly difficult questions (especially on LR, sometimes its unavoidable to finish early on games and RC). It's good as an occasional drill, but I've generally found it a bad idea as a primary focus. This is where I've seen a lot of 170+ people get stuck. They're like "I finish in like 30 minutes, but I always make a few careless mistakes". "Um, are you making careless mistakes because you're trying to finish in 30 minutes when you have 35?" "yeah, but I heard it was a good idea to try to finish faster than 35 minutes on a message board."

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 5:22 pm

11 pt's already? I am taking the first one on wednesday with 22 planned. I guess I really wanted to get the basics down first. Is 22 enough?

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Fri Jul 02, 2010 6:05 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:11 pt's already? I am taking the first one on wednesday with 22 planned. I guess I really wanted to get the basics down first. Is 22 enough?

Don't feel bad, I've only taken one. Stepping up now though!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”