Project 180 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
declsatkiller

New

Re: Project 180

Post by declsatkiller » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:37 pm

Lolschool wrote:OP: Did you take a diagnostic? It seems like you're getting through the bibles pretty quickly--are you planning on just practice tests until the actual test? Also, any specific plans for RC? You're on the right track, good luck!
Sort of. I took an ice cold DT a few months ago and missed around 35 questions i think..don't remember which PT it was, but i think it was like a 156ish. I remember I got killed by one of the LR sections. I think I was like -7 -7 -7 -13 or something.

I have the RCB and I'm going to start going through it in august sometime. I'll work with RC pretty much like I'm doing for LR; ill do sections at first and thoroughly review each question, etc. (ill also probably experiment with different marking methods too though for rc)

I am going to take a full out PT once im through the LGB though to see if at least on LR and LG i'm getting close to being where i want to be.

thanks for the encouragement!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Mon Jul 19, 2010 10:57 pm

July 19

Finished my review of the latest LR section. Will probably take another section either tomorrow or wednesday..

also did some pure sequencing game and will finish working through that section in the next day or two

vestedinterest

New

Post by vestedinterest » Tue Jul 20, 2010 5:09 pm

it's interesting that we're getting a play-by-play of your prep, and you can't recall what diagnostic you took, let alone what you scored. realistically, i'm giving you <2%chance at 180, with a more probable score range of 170-173. still good scores, but i don't see a (min) 25 point jump in your future.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Tue Jul 20, 2010 8:19 pm

vestedinterest wrote:it's interesting that we're getting a play-by-play of your prep, and you can't recall what diagnostic you took, let alone what you scored.
I took it in April I believe and I printed it off the internet somewhere. I really don't remember; it was 3 months ago, and I didn't really care at the time.
vestedinterest wrote:realistically, i'm giving you <2%chance at 180, with a more probable score range of 170-173. still good scores, but i don't see a (min) 25 point jump in your future.
Is your reason for thinking this simply the fact that i started in the mid-upper 150s? or do you see a problem in my prep? I hardly think a DT (and remembering the test and score) is a vital component to lsat prep.

regardless, thanks for the repsonse (and motivation).

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Tue Jul 20, 2010 11:55 pm

July 20

Been sick the last 24 hours and haven't done a whole lot in the way of lsat things..just a random game here and there. hopefully will feel better and can get back at it tomorrow.

cheers

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

dub

New

Post by dub » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:28 am

declsatkiller wrote:
vestedinterest wrote:realistically, i'm giving you <2%chance at 180, with a more probable score range of 170-173. still good scores, but i don't see a (min) 25 point jump in your future.
Is your reason for thinking this simply the fact that i started in the mid-upper 150s? or do you see a problem in my prep? I hardly think a DT (and remembering the test and score) is a vital component to lsat prep.

Considering 180 is 99.98 percentile, even 2% is extremelyyyyyyyyyy generous.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Wed Jul 21, 2010 12:41 am

dub wrote:
declsatkiller wrote:

I just fail to see how not remembering your dt/score exactly can even be a premise for the conclusion that you won't get X score. It seems irrelevant to me.

this is a good point though regarding the percentile and 2% chance. again, im not saying im certain or even a tenth of a percent certain ill get a 180. i just feel that if you want to get the highest score possible, you aim for the very top. this way when you fail you fail higher than you would have had you aimed at 17x

Any performance psychologist will advocate the same thing.

dub

New

Post by dub » Wed Jul 21, 2010 1:08 am

declsatkiller wrote:
dub wrote:
declsatkiller wrote:

I just fail to see how not remembering your dt/score exactly can even be a premise for the conclusion that you won't get X score. It seems irrelevant to me.

this is a good point though regarding the percentile and 2% chance. again, im not saying im certain or even a tenth of a percent certain ill get a 180. i just feel that if you want to get the highest score possible, you aim for the very top. this way when you fail you fail higher than you would have had you aimed at 17x

Any performance psychologist will advocate the same thing.
100% agree, especially since I'm aiming for 180. But note the poster's use of "realistically," 25 point jumps almost never happen.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:32 am

dub wrote: 100% agree, especially since I'm aiming for 180. But note the poster's use of "realistically," 25 point jumps almost never happen.
touche. good point.

although i think that prepping for five months this thoroughly probably also almost never happens.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:36 am

declsatkiller wrote:
dub wrote: 100% agree, especially since I'm aiming for 180. But note the poster's use of "realistically," 25 point jumps almost never happen.
touche. good point.

although i think that prepping for five months this thoroughly probably also almost never happens.
Maybe not often, but for TLSers, I think the rate of improvement it higher. I scored a 147 on my diag and got a 162 on June test. Was consistently PTing in the 170's and choked on game day. 25 pts improvement IS DEFINITELY possible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.

bleu

New

Post by bleu » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:44 am

dt, are completely pointless, just study. Your method is beautiful :lol: keep aiming for 180, and even if you get a 179 your golden, minus well work towards perfection.

Albatross

Bronze

Post by Albatross » Wed Jul 21, 2010 3:46 am

bleu wrote:dt, are completely pointless, just study. Your method is beautiful :lol: keep aiming for 180, and even if you get a 179 your golden, minus well work towards perfection.
Well said.

F458JE

New

Post by F458JE » Wed Jul 21, 2010 2:40 pm

Good luck on getting a 180!

I have a similar goal myself, +175. For me it has almost nothing to do with getting into a T-14 school. I see it as the ultimate intellectual challenge. I want to prove to myself that I have what it takes to put my head down and study day in and day out. I can ace most LG and RC sections. I am still missing anywhere from 2-6 per LR section.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:00 pm

Thanks for the encouragement guys.

July 21

Interesting day of LSAT stuff for me.

First, the uninteresting: I finished pure sequencing in the LGB and have moved on to the forgotton few I think it is called. I should have the LGB complete within the next 2 weeks, and that's when itll be on to a full test.

The interesting: I took section 2 of PT 13 this morningand got absolutely destroyed. I'm pretty congested/not feeling that well, but still! I only finished 25 of the 26 questions and missed 6 of those 25! I was really pissed. 19/25 (actually 19/26!).

So I relaxed for a little while (took work off today due to sickness) and came back a couple of hours later and took the next LR section of PT 13 (section 4). I got all of the questions correct and had enough time to double check a couple of answers. What the hell lol.
-7 (ran out of time) to -0 with decent amount of time left over on the same day...just seems odd. Granted, I felt like shit this morning and maybe a little better this afternoon.

Does anyone know if the first LR section of PT 13 is particularly difficult? It didn't seem like it was as I was taking it (I was expecting most of them to be correct aside from the one I didn't complete), but that seems like a large difference in results for there to be no inherent difference in difficulty in the two sections.

will review these two sections thoroughly over the next few days.

cheers

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:34 pm

Very quick glance at the Q ratings, they seem to be about the same in terms of difficulty, lots of 1 stars and 2 stars for both, but more 4 stars in the 1st.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Wed Jul 21, 2010 11:54 pm

Anaconda wrote:Very quick glance at the Q ratings, they seem to be about the same in terms of difficulty, lots of 1 stars and 2 stars for both, but more 4 stars in the 1st.
hey thanks a lot for that...

where do you find those? And does that mean they're both pretty typical relative to all other LR sections?

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:54 pm

July 22

Beginning review of the latest practice sections taken.
I'm starting with the questions that I missed first. I'm doing a review of the entire question type category for the ones I missed. For instance, I missed a point at issue question so I'm reviewing that section of the LRB as I review the missed problem. Needless to say this takes a great deal of time. Going through the misses I have on the first PT 13 LR section, I'm wondering how the hell I missed some of these..in more than one case it was a matter of not seeing the word "not" or "no". oh well, Im gonna use the sickness as an excuse.

Will continue this new review and start working through the forgotton few (LGB) tomorrow.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

beachbum

Gold

Post by beachbum » Thu Jul 22, 2010 11:02 pm

Good luck man. The LSAT has the potential to be a life-changing 4 hours, and it looks like you're taking the right approach to it. I'm pullin for ya.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Fri Jul 23, 2010 10:40 pm

beachbum wrote:Good luck man. The LSAT has the potential to be a life-changing 4 hours, and it looks like you're taking the right approach to it. I'm pullin for ya.
Thanks for the encouragement bb. I appreciate it. Have you already taken the lsat?

July 23

Today I reviewed all of my misses from the last two practice sections I've taken. This actually takes a lot of time when you are reviewing them with this much detail. I found that I missed three "flaw in the reasoning" questions in one section, so I'm definitely going to review those heavily. Overall though, the section on which I tanked was full of stupid mistakes on my part, and I've decided with reasonable certainty that it was in no way inherently more difficult than most sections. I just sucked it up lol.

Tomorrow I will begin reviewing all of the questions I got right from the last two sections I've done (this should take awhile!). I'm looking forward to seeing if the section on which I got 24/24 with time left over (PT 13 - section 4) looks definitively easier than other sections or if I can truly feel good about this.

I know I said I'd start the forgotton few in the LGB today, but I decided instead to go back and do some of the linear/advanced linear/grouping games from earlier in the LGB, just stay somewhat fresh on those. I timed them for the first time and found that I was doing them anywhere from 7:00-10:30, and usually getting -1. This is a litttle frustrating, but, and this may be wrong of me, I'm really not concerned with logic games. (not yet anyway)

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sat Jul 24, 2010 11:49 pm

July 24

Began reviewing my correct answers for LR; spent a lot of time doing that. I also went back and did some more LGs from early in the LGB. Accuracy was pretty good: -0 on a couple, -1 on one. However, speed isn't up to par on all of them yet. Will continue correct answer LR review tomorrow. Hopefully will finally get going on the forgotten few section of the LGB tomorrow also. Anyone have any advice for that section of the LGB?

Balthy

Silver

Post by Balthy » Sun Jul 25, 2010 12:15 am

OP, I don't think diagnostic matters at all. You are obviously determined and it will definitely pay off. Good luck, and keep posting.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sun Jul 25, 2010 10:46 pm

superdingle2000 wrote:OP, I don't think diagnostic matters at all. You are obviously determined and it will definitely pay off. Good luck, and keep posting.
hey thanks a lot. the encouragement really does help...guess that's why im on here in the first place haha

July 25

Today I continued review of latest LR sections. I should have this done in a 2-3 more days. At that point I’ll probably take another section (hopefully will figure out which of the last two was a fluke – the minus seven or the minus 0).

I also started the Forgotten Few section of the LGB today. Only really went through a small part so far – pattern games. They didn’t seem too bad. They’re a little abstract and open-ended, but I don’t think they’ll be too much of a problem. How hard did you guys study the non-grouping/linear (forgotten few, if you will) games?

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:55 pm

July 26

I finished my review of section 2 PT 13 and have started review for section 4 PT 13. My aim is to have that completed on Wednesday and take a new LR section or 2 (maybe back to back? depends on how much time I have..) on Thursday.

I didn't do much for games today as I spent most of my time doing LR stuff, just went over pattern games again one more time and did a game. (<8 minutes and got all questions right woohoo lol...though there were only five questions....i have a long way to go on games and i realize this..) I'm getting close to being done with the LGB.

*Just FYI, the reason I haven't really started doing full length PTs yet is that im doing an internship abroad and don't really have time or a good place to do PTs right now. I'll be able to start studying a little better/doing more sections/tests once I get home (~2 weeks)

jms1987

Bronze

Post by jms1987 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:37 am

I just started grouping games and they seem quite a bit more challenging than linear. How long did it take you get these down?
Last edited by jms1987 on Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Anaconda

Silver

Post by Anaconda » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:50 am

jms1987 wrote:I just started grouping games and they seem quite a bit more challenging than linear. HOw long did it take you get these down?
From my own experience they are much harder to learn at first than linear games but become much, much easier the more you do.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”