Project 180 Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
declsatkiller

New

Re: Project 180

Post by declsatkiller » Tue Jul 27, 2010 7:14 pm

jms1987 wrote:I just started grouping games and they seem quite a bit more challenging than linear. How long did it take you get these down?
I'm not really the guy to talk to yet on Logic Games; I've just slowly worked my way through the LGB. However, I can say I agree with the snake that they are MUUUCH easier after you've worked through a few. When I first got to the grouping section of the LGB I thought they were going to be really difficult, after working through just a few of them (well, the ones in the lgb) I don't think they're that bad.

July 27

Prep was much more limited today due to work obligations.

Got some review of the latest LR section done but not much else. Also, did an RC passage and questions just out of curiousity...5 or 6 of the questions were really easy but one took me a while and I ended up missing it anyway - tricky wording, but I get it now. Looking forward to starting work and improvment on RC in a few weeks, as I feel if I can get really good at RC (probably my weakness), I'll be much less likely to have a score ceiling (other than the one everyone has).

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Wed Jul 28, 2010 10:56 pm

July 28

I'm getting close to being done with all of the review from the latest two sections of LR that i've done (this has taken awhile! But I think I'm getting better). I will finish tomorrow, which would make taking another section friday likely.

As for LGB, I'm completly done (kinda). I'm now to the "advanced techniques" section. So I should be able to start doing full out LG sections, though the only tests I have with me are from 19 and under, and I've heard those are more difficult/different/not an accurate represenation of what lsac is testing on now.. so perhaps ill wait until i return from abroad and have more resources. I'm thinking of buying the bundle from cambridge with all the game types together and doing that. I plan by test day to have done every LG from 30 and up at least twice. Anyone want to give a quick review on this strategy for LGs?

All in all though I think I'm about right on pace for where I want to be; when I get home in the next ten days ill be ready to start working on full tests and RC.

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:02 pm

declsatkiller wrote: I'm thinking of buying the bundle from cambridge with all the game types together and doing that. I plan by test day to have done every LG from 30 and up at least twice. Anyone want to give a quick review on this strategy for LGs?
I've read somewhere that the cambridge .pdf downloads have view limits so if you do download the package of games, make sure to print multiple copies.

I also would recommend going over the older games. Yeah they might be a little "different", but a lot of the same concepts are still tested and it's more unused material you can go over. You never know what you'll get in December.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 12:45 am

July 29

I have finished my review from the last two LR sections I did. I should be able to complete a section or two tomorrow...it's been a while now! But the review is very thorough and I really do feel like my understanding is improving. Thus, I feel like the gap in taking tests is worth it.

I also went back and re-did some of the earlier games in the LGB. For all of them it was either my second or third time doing them and it showed: I completed most of them in about 6 minutes and either missed 0 or 1. (Though i dont feel particularly happy about these because they were, after all, repeats.)

thanks for the info/tip pkpop!

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Fri Jul 30, 2010 2:55 pm

pkpop wrote:
declsatkiller wrote: I'm thinking of buying the bundle from cambridge with all the game types together and doing that. I plan by test day to have done every LG from 30 and up at least twice. Anyone want to give a quick review on this strategy for LGs?
I've read somewhere that the cambridge .pdf downloads have view limits so if you do download the package of games, make sure to print multiple copies.
The cambridge .pdf have a three time view limit but the way around this is to "print" the document to pdf. On macs this is easy, just click print, and in the drop down menu select "to pdf". There is an easy way to do this for PCs too, I just dont know how. Remember, if you can print it, you can save it to PDF!

With this info, I highly recommend cambridge. I bought a bundle of every single practice test in existence. I have all of them saved to a jump drive and to both of my home computers. If there is a section I want to review, just print it out. No more annoying erase marks when reviewing logic games. Access to a duplex (print on both sides) printer is a must for printing out entire tests. Just staple them together and you have an LSAT booklet.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

pkpop

Bronze

Post by pkpop » Fri Jul 30, 2010 8:50 pm

nStiver wrote: The cambridge .pdf have a three time view limit but the way around this is to "print" the document to pdf. On macs this is easy, just click print, and in the drop down menu select "to pdf". There is an easy way to do this for PCs too, I just dont know how. Remember, if you can print it, you can save it to PDF!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=103922

According to another member, he tried this and said the access was denied.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:21 pm

July 30

All I did today was take test 12 section 1. It is a section with 26 questions, and disappointly time was a major issue; I was on the second to last question when time ran out. I didn't answer 18 and 19, the last two questions (i do 1-10 then 20-26), in time. (i continued after and got them right). Of the 24 I got done, I missed 2 (one because i simply just missed the word EXCEPT somehow, saw A was no doubt valid due to formal logic, answered, and moved on).

It's very disappointing that technically I got 22/26 correct. I guess the encouraging thing is that of the 26 questions I did, I got 25 right (24 but one was just a reading errors..). But still, I must find a way to go faster as that's really the issue here.

Anyone have any advice on this...?

and whether i should feel highly discouraged by this given my efforts?

be honest

Thanks!

dabbadon8

Silver

Post by dabbadon8 » Sat Jul 31, 2010 12:10 am

declsatkiller wrote:July 30

All I did today was take test 12 section 1. It is a section with 26 questions, and disappointly time was a major issue; I was on the second to last question when time ran out. I didn't answer 18 and 19, the last two questions (i do 1-10 then 20-26), in time. (i continued after and got them right). Of the 24 I got done, I missed 2 (one because i simply just missed the word EXCEPT somehow, saw A was no doubt valid due to formal logic, answered, and moved on).

It's very disappointing that technically I got 22/26 correct. I guess the encouraging thing is that of the 26 questions I did, I got 25 right (24 but one was just a reading errors..). But still, I must find a way to go faster as that's really the issue here.

be honest

Thanks!

When reading the stem, circle the word EXCEPT. I had a problem with missing it and circling it helped. I also circled the word in the stem that gave away what type of question it was. To go faster do more problems it will come.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sat Jul 31, 2010 9:36 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:

be honest

Thanks!

When reading the stem, circle the word EXCEPT. I had a problem with missing it and circling it helped. I also circled the word in the stem that gave away what type of question it was. To go faster do more problems it will come.

Thanks for the advice I appreciate it. I hate those 26 problem LR sections! Yeah I definitely should circle the word except...such a stupid mistake Anyone else think just doing enough of the sections will eventually make time a non-issue (or at least less of one)?

July 31

Put the lsat stuff down for a day.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

nStiver

Bronze

Post by nStiver » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:03 pm

Albatross wrote:25 pts improvement IS DEFINITELY possible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
1+ It never fails to amaze me when I hear some supposed authority figure say its not really possible to move up more than a few points. Nonsense. I was reading Vanderbilt's profile on this website and an admissions officer is quoted as saying something to the effect of "you cant really move up more than 2 or 3 points on the LSAT".

Screw the nay sayers.

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sun Aug 01, 2010 11:36 pm

nStiver wrote:
Albatross wrote:25 pts improvement IS DEFINITELY possible. Don't let anyone tell you otherwise.
1+ It never fails to amaze me when I hear some supposed authority figure say its not really possible to move up more than a few points. Nonsense. I was reading Vanderbilt's profile on this website and an admissions officer is quoted as saying something to the effect of "you cant really move up more than 2 or 3 points on the LSAT".

Screw the nay sayers.
love the encouragement. I'm confident I can get huge improvement too. Already seeing it really from an understanding standpoint, just need to get faster.

August 1

Began review of Test 12 section 1. This review process I'm doing takes forever for each section! I should have it done in a couple of days. I'm coming home from overseas soon, and upon doing so will do my first full out practice test since starting studying.

Average on LR per section at this point for last 7 sections completed: -3. Time is the biggest issue at this point, missing one or two due to time every other section it seems like. Will give updates on this average periodically..

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:02 am

declsatkiller wrote:
nStiver wrote:

Screw the nay sayers.
love the encouragement. I'm confident I can get huge improvement too. Already seeing it really from an understanding standpoint, just need to get faster.

August 1

Began review of Test 12 section 1. This review process I'm doing takes forever for each section! I should have it done in a couple of days. I'm coming home from overseas soon, and upon doing so will do my first full out practice test since starting studying.

Average on LR per section at this point for last 7 sections completed: -3. Time is the biggest issue at this point, missing one or two due to time every other section it seems like. Will give updates on this average periodically..

I'm with the LSAC Tool Brigade. You're under arrest for conspiring to murder the December 2010 LSAT.

You have the right to be pissed off...

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Mon Aug 02, 2010 11:16 pm

haha ^

August 2

All I really did today was bust through some more of the latest section's review. I will finish it tomorrow and do a new section wednesday..
In the mean time I should probably go through the Advanced Techniques section of the LGB and continue to do old games (from earlier in the LGB, which i haven't done in a few days..).

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:16 am

August 3-4

I finished review of last section of LR I did. I also took a new practice test section - test 14 section 2. I was going along just fine until I got to question 12 - about "basic words" and distinctions that can be drawn because of them. I spent waaaaaay too much time on this question, got incredibly frustrated by it, and proceeded to absolutely tank on the rest of the section. (for what it's worth i got 12 right....but only because the other four seemed more wrong than it. least favorite question i've ran in to so far...)
I took another section - section 4 of that same test after and while i did better on this one, it still wasn't good. really frustrated.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Thu Aug 05, 2010 6:36 am

pkpop wrote:
nStiver wrote: The cambridge .pdf have a three time view limit but the way around this is to "print" the document to pdf. On macs this is easy, just click print, and in the drop down menu select "to pdf". There is an easy way to do this for PCs too, I just dont know how. Remember, if you can print it, you can save it to PDF!

http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 6&t=103922

According to another member, he tried this and said the access was denied.
there's a program called cutepdf that'll let you do it.

http://www.cutepdf.com/

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:14 pm

how do you get cutepdf to work?

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Fri Aug 06, 2010 11:58 pm

Sandro777 wrote:how do you get cutepdf to work?
it turns into a digital printer that you select instead of your actual, physical computer. you select cutepdf as your printer and then click print.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Aug 07, 2010 12:44 am

skip james wrote:
Sandro777 wrote:how do you get cutepdf to work?
it turns into a digital printer that you select instead of your actual, physical computer. you select cutepdf as your printer and then click print.
I downloaded the trial of cutepdf and it isnt showing as a printer... :(

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:00 am

nvm. downloaded another program to let me save them.

skip james

Bronze

Post by skip james » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:07 am

Sandro777 wrote:nvm. downloaded another program to let me save them.
printtopdf?

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:38 am

bullzip. works easy enough.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:23 am

Aug 5 to now

Been traveling around/coming home from abroad. Just got back. JETLAG. Will try to start back up again tomorrow.

Good to be home!

LSU Undergrad

New

Post by LSU Undergrad » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:42 am

be honest

Thanks!
Part of the challenge of the LSAT is keeping your mind sharp and avoiding petty mistakes. The key is to develop habits that keep these miscues to a minimum. Technically, most questions you miss on RC would be because you "misread" the passage. Reading comprehension is a major testing point of the test. Misinterpreting one word in a RC question can lead to multiple wrong answers. LR and RC have many similarities.

Really, your individual score on each practice section you do is not something that should make you feel too high or too low. The key is to learn from your correct answers and learn from your incorrect answers. If it's your one of your final full length preptests before the real thing, then it would be more disconcerting.

I was at a point where I was getting -3 or less on all my RC sections and I bombed a -10 out of nowhere. Instead of beating myself up over it, I thought about what went wrong. I realized I was letting my mind wander about what I had to do afterwards. Now I know I have to be at peak concentration on RC or I'm in trouble.

Sandro

Gold

Post by Sandro » Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:55 am

Dead on. I rocked out a -1 RC on my last PT, todays RC was section 1 and I bombed it with -8. Definitely need to learn from my mistakes on this one, and find what caused me to miss so many - because it can't entirely be blamed on not knowing how to do RC..

declsatkiller

New

Post by declsatkiller » Mon Aug 09, 2010 11:09 pm

Just getting back into studying.

Thanks a lot to the above posters for the encouragement. Yeah today I went back to the last two sections I did and went through all of the missed questions. I definitely was just having a really bad day mentally as the questions, while one or two of them may have been exceptionally difficult, were not really any different than other sections. I think I let one question really bother me early on, spent too much time on it, and then was just done for the rest of the two sections.

Did some Logic Games today and was completing them in 6-8 minutes missing 0 on most of them and 1 on some.

also: discovered zenof180.com today for the first time..seemed like some good stuff. anyone have a review on it?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”