Don't know what to do about LSAT score, advice?

Neo

Don't know what to do about LSAT score, advice?

Postby Neo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:35 pm

Hello,
I am quite torn about my LSAT score and I was wondering if I could get some advice about retaking it or not. I took the June test and scored a 159. I have an LSAC GPA of 3.9, so I am a reverse splitter.
I considered retaking the test but I am not sure how much better I could score.

Here was how I studied/prepared for the exam:
I studied for 6 months before the exam total. I took the 2 month TestMasters prepcourse and I studied 4 months before that on my own going through the bibles. I spent approximately 15 hours a week studying before taking the TestMasters course. Then during the course I did virtually ALL the homework and went over the bibles after almost every lesson as a refresher. Also, I even went over ALL my wrong answers and worked out why they were wrong and why the correct answer was correct.

My diagnostics/preptests:

My first diagnostic with TestMasters was a 147. My tests after that were as follows: 149, 149, 155, 149, 153, and then my very last prep-test I scored a 159. Since it is the highest I ever scored, I am not sure I could do better. Especially since I did everything I possibly could the first time around so I am not too sure what I could improve.

I have a history of bad standardized testing, I only got an 1100 on the SAT and a 26 on the ACT; so, I plan on writing an addendum explaining this history.

Anyway, I would like to go to the best school I can get into but I am also applying to Florida State University and University of Florida. Florida State told me that they take the highest score and that I should retake since they plan on their average being a 162.

Sorry for the long post, but I thought I would give all the information so I could get some accurate feedback. What do you guys think my chances are? Should I retake or just take my numbers, apply, and hope for the best? Does anyone have experience with this? What would be my best course of action? Thanks for the advice, it is appreciated!

traehekat

Re: Don't know what to do about LSAT score, advice?

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:39 pm

Sounds like you did everything but the most important thing - taking a lot of prep tests and reviewing them! Why do you think you can't improve? You have shown improvement through 7 tests. I'm sure you can keep raising your average up if you keep taking more tests.

The fact is a lot of people take like, 30 practice tests over 3 months. You took 7 over 6 months. Up your game and I guarantee you see improvment.

Neo

Postby Neo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:45 pm

traehekat wrote:Sounds like you did everything but the most important thing - taking a lot of prep tests and reviewing them! Why do you think you can't improve? You have shown improvement through 7 tests. I'm sure you can keep raising your average up if you keep taking more tests.

The fact is a lot of people take like, 30 practice tests over 3 months. You took 7 over 6 months. Up your game and I guarantee you see improvment.

Thanks for the input! I agree about the point that many people take more preptests; however, the reason I didn't take more than I did is because of the TestMasters homework. They rip apart all the tests in existence and create homework sections out of them to drill the question types. Then they leave some sections for pacing and they leave a few prep-tests intact.

Essentially, I have seen every single question out there. Do you think trying again and retaking only practice tests will help even though I have probably seen the questions before?? I dunno, I feel like whenever I see a question I have seen before there is always a little bit of bias there....

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:49 pm

Neo wrote:
traehekat wrote:Sounds like you did everything but the most important thing - taking a lot of prep tests and reviewing them! Why do you think you can't improve? You have shown improvement through 7 tests. I'm sure you can keep raising your average up if you keep taking more tests.

Thanks for the input! I agree about the point that many people take more preptests; however, the reason I didn't take more than I did is because of the TestMasters homework. They rip apart all the tests in existence and create homework sections out of them to drill the question types. Then they leave some sections for pacing and they leave a few prep-tests intact.

Essentially, I have seen every single question out there. Do you think trying again and retaking only practice tests will help even though I have probably seen the questions before?? I dunno, I feel like whenever I see a question I have seen before there is always a little bit of bias there....

Man, TestMasters sucks. Obviously it is not ideal, but I think it would certainly help. Chances are you will probably remember less than you would think. I would redo games all the time and not remember the diagrams/answer choices.

Neo

Postby Neo » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:52 pm

traehekat wrote:
Neo wrote:

Man, TestMasters sucks. Obviously it is not ideal, but I think it would certainly help. Chances are you will probably remember less than you would think. I would redo games all the time and not remember the diagrams/answer choices.

That's good advice, especially since games is my weakest section....

traehekat

Postby traehekat » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:54 pm

Yeah, the biggest thing you can do for games is just make photo copies of a bunch of them and do 4-6 almost every day. Eventually they become second nature. Be able to kill the easy ones in around 5 minutes, then figure out which types you are struggling with and focus on those.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:55 am

Neo wrote:Do you think trying again and retaking only practice tests will help even though I have probably seen the questions before?? I dunno, I feel like whenever I see a question I have seen before there is always a little bit of bias there....

This may be a weird point of comparison, but I noticed a very, very strong difference between when I took the LSAT for the first time in December '07 and when I re-took it in February of this year, and the practice that I had done between the two was teaching LSAT class over and over and over again. I had done essentially zero timed practice, but I'd redone a bunch of LSAT questions maybe a dozen times. This dramatically improved my LSAT skill.

Ever since then, I've been a big fan of re-doing questions two, three, maybe even four or five times. Get to the point where, when someone says, "Oh, that logic game about the two mannequins with the skirts and the tie," you think, "Oh yeah, with Mannequin 2 wearing the navy skirt, so Mannequin 1 wears either the yellow or the red." Once you do that, you'll kill new questions that you see.

Neo

Postby Neo » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:49 pm

Thanks for all the input. I would still appreciate more responses/advice! Anyone else?

balzern

Postby balzern » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:58 pm

It sounds like you prepped pretty hard with the class you took but as traehekat said, more PTs now could mean significant improvement. Fact is, your GPA is dope and if you could even raise your score 3 more points you would look pretty golden at many more places than now. But hey, if you are satisfied going somewhere with your score and confident that it is good enough then don't. I am just saying that if you did 10 more PTs from now until the test under test conditions and reviewed the wrong answers you would be amazed at how much you could possibly improve. If the schools you are interested in don't avg. LSATs you really don't have much to lose. Jump back into the LSAT boat and take some PTs dude!

Good luck in your cycle.

"If you don't know, now you know."

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”