Prephrasing for LR

Unshake

Prephrasing for LR

Postby Unshake » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:30 pm

Just curious to see what the consensus is on prephrasing (forming your idea of what the answer is after reading the question). Powerscore seems to highly recommend it, but it seems that it slows me down quite a bit and I am almost more efficient just reading the answer choices and eliminating/picking the right one.

Obviously some questions have glaring errors in the reasoning and are easy to prephrase, but others often have more abstract answers and I find my prephrase answer doesn't help me select the correct answer anymore than just reading the choices would. Where are you testing/what was your score and do you prephrase for all/most of the logical reasoning questions?

blackwater88

Re: Prephrasing for LR

Postby blackwater88 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:43 pm

Unshake wrote:Just curious to see what the consensus is on prephrasing (forming your idea of what the answer is after reading the question). Powerscore seems to highly recommend it, but it seems that it slows me down quite a bit and I am almost more efficient just reading the answer choices and eliminating/picking the right one.

Obviously some questions have glaring errors in the reasoning and are easy to prephrase, but others often have more abstract answers and I find my prephrase answer doesn't help me select the correct answer anymore than just reading the choices would. Where are you testing/what was your score and do you prephrase for all/most of the logical reasoning questions?

It took me a while to get a hold of this LSAT thing, I took the LSAT twice, went from a 160 to 169 in the span of a year. At the beginning it'll feel unnatural to prephrase answers for the LR questions, but if you study hard for a few months (3-6) you'll start to notice that there is a pattern to the questions. Except for questions that ask to describe the function of particular parts of an argument, I would say that most answers can be prephrased. The more you study and the more familiar you get with the LSAT, the better you'll refine this technique.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:51 pm

ding ding ding. Once you start seeing a lot of LR sections, or even a handfull and go through each question and write out what its saying, what your prephrase should have been, and why each answer choice is wrong/right - it starts to click. LR transforms from reading the stimulus and the question stem and being like "damn, what the heck they looking for" to as you read the stimulus, all the parts flow and you have 1 or 2 pre phrases before you even hit the answers. If your prephrases bust you atleast get in the rythmn of eliminating the "stock" wrong answers.

I'm actually going to go take a LR section from a PT right now. Kind of excited to see where I'm at as about 2 months ago when I last picked up an LR section I went 0,-3 on PT 36.

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Wed Jun 30, 2010 11:07 pm

took June 09's second LR again and was def. rusty. missed 7 , most due to not picking up on a word or two. Hopefully it doesnt take long to get back in the swing of things.

Unshake

Postby Unshake » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:26 am

So basically it's not something I should actively practice rather something you just gain from doing and going over practice tests? I just started my prepping for the October LSAT and it's going eerily well (only about -2-3 a section, but my cold PT was 164). I just find that I'm hardly ever prephrasing answers, rather am able to pluck correct answers out of the choices fairly quickly.

Basically I just select an answer immediately if I am very confident and read through the rest knowing I likely have the right answer and see if anything jumps out or if I find an unsure contender early I don't eliminate it and read the rest.

I did some practice problems where I worked untimed (slowly) and would read each prompt then take time to physically write out what I thought the answer could be and didn't notice any notable difference, but maybe if I continue to this it will become quick/second nature. For reference I'm working through the LRB and my strategy is do a section then do those problems in the Kaplan Mastery record my results/time and read through each correct/incorrect explanation in that Kaplan provides.

Is the general consensus that you shouldn't write anything down? I generally don't write down unless I go through and am very unsure or if I cross off each answer choice as something I think is incorrect. At this point I diagram or underline what is being said and rework the answers. Is this unnecessary?

Sandro

Postby Sandro » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:51 pm

if you're down to 2-3 a section then you're on the right track. If not prephrasing works for you than go with it. I find it nearly impossible not to prephrase an answer because lets face it, with 2 LR sections X ~50 something PTs X ~25 questions each section, they are bound to repeat the same types of answers.

I'm at the same point now, around -2/-3 per section. The only time i write anything down might be formal logic questions or principle/method of reasoning if the question lends itself to a clear A -> B !=C or something like that.

I really need to stop procrastinating and take some PTs, got 25+ left in the tank for october.

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:27 pm

Depends on the question type. I've found it counterproductive on weaken, strengthen, harder flaws, necessary assumption, sufficient assumptions and a few other less common types. The problem with those being that, many times, there could be multiple flaws, and are thus multiple ways of fixing/tearing them. This doesn't mean you shouldn't try to prephrase it, but don't get overly wrapped up in it, as sometimes there are multiple flaws and you will get super frustrated if you correctly find one, but its not an answer choice. Also, you can waste a LOT of time trying to prephrase and the AC might obviously point it out to you.

I've found "prephrasing" an indispensable tool for main conclusion, parallel (though a generalized version of prephrasing) parallel the flaw and principle questions.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”