Downside to retaking?

cccZillo

Downside to retaking?

Postby cccZillo » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:26 pm

I got a 169 on the June LSAT, a score with which I was generally happy (after bombing the infamous last logic game), though upset I didn’t reach the 170 plateau. It was about 3 points below my PT average.

So I thought I would retake in October, and hopefully tack on a couple more points. I figured there was no real downside, as I can’t even imagine dropping below, say, a 167, and the schools I’m applying to aren’t supposed to average the scores anyway.

But now I wonder about how this affects the timing of my applications. If I don’t retake, all my apps will be in on October 1st. Retaking would push that back about a month. I know that getting the applications in early helps, and with my low GPA I’m looking for whatever advantages I can get. Is November 1 still considered “early” per se? This is the only downside I can imagine in my situation, and I was wondering how significant it actually would be.

Thanks for the help.

stratocophic

Re: Downside to retaking?

Postby stratocophic » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:35 pm

cccZillo wrote:I got a 169 on the June LSAT, a score with which I was generally happy (after bombing the infamous last logic game), though upset I didn’t reach the 170 plateau. It was about 3 points below my PT average.

So I thought I would retake in October, and hopefully tack on a couple more points. I figured there was no real downside, as I can’t even imagine dropping below, say, a 167, and the schools I’m applying to aren’t supposed to average the scores anyway.

But now I wonder about how this affects the timing of my applications. If I don’t retake, all my apps will be in on October 1st. Retaking would push that back about a month. I know that getting the applications in early helps, and with my low GPA I’m looking for whatever advantages I can get. Is November 1 still considered “early” per se? This is the only downside I can imagine in my situation, and I was wondering how significant it actually would be.

Thanks for the help.
If you're relatively sure you can improve, swing for the fences. I retook a September 169 in December (PT average was probably 172-173 but increased towards the end, ended up 175) and it probably netted me an extra 25-50k or so in scholarship money at WashU and an acceptance + small scholarship from Vandy. Scoring lower likely won't hurt much, the later app would be the biggest drawback. As long as your app is in only a few days after getting your score, I'd retake.

Perch

Re: Downside to retaking?

Postby Perch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 3:15 pm

I've taken it twice now (without the reasons/excuses) 155 - 159. PT average 163 so I expect to be able to go up a few more points or perhaps more after focused study plan for October. On the chance that I go down or stay the same, what is the negative? Don't want to live my life in fear, especially with a score as low as 159 as my current high, but also realistic that maybe I won't hit 160 and it could hurt my apps.

Appreciate all responses.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”