Lowering Section Time/Pacing

rjh456
Posts: 71
Joined: Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:15 am

Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby rjh456 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:37 pm

I've read a lot about people working up to 30-32 minute sections. I think this is a great idea considering all the potential test day distractions - i.e. uncontrollable sobbing from the grown man sitting next to you - but I'm barely finishing the sections in 35 minutes as it is. Should I wait until I'm able to comfortably finish sections on time to try this strategy? Or does lowering your allotted time actually teach you to finish faster? I guess I just have trouble understanding how I will pick up speed just from shortening my time. Anyone who's used this technique successfully care to comment?

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby glucose101 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:30 pm

bump bc I/m curious

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:32 pm

I also would like some info on this

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

I like it as an occasional drill, but not a constant method. If using those extra 3-5 minutes can cause you to get another question or two right, it's pretty foolish to make yourself go faster. As a drill its useful so that if you find yourself unexpectedly behind, you can confidently speed up a bit. But training yourself to shortchange yourself is very counterproductive.

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12388
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby gdane » Wed Jun 30, 2010 8:08 pm

Dont worry about timing yet. Accuracy is what matters. Theres no use in trying to finish a section in 32-30 minutes if youre not doing well. If youre doing well then go for it, but if youre struggling then dont practice like that. Remember, dont sacrifice accuracy for timing.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby glucose101 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 10:01 pm

I don't think the OP necessarily said anything about exchanging accuracy for speed. The OP seems to be asking: how/can one lower time limits/section attribute to better overall pacing?

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12388
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby gdane » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:06 am

I know the poster didnt mention accuracy, but I mentioned it because a lot of times its sacrificed in an effort to improve speed. The poster said he can barely finish a section in 35 minutes so my guess is that if he tries to rush himself further he might end up sacrificing accuracy.

In any case I would recommend cutting down your time once you can finish a section comfortably. Dont cut your time if youre struggling to finish in 35 minutes.

User avatar
glucose101
Posts: 423
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 12:23 am

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby glucose101 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 2:10 am

gdane5 wrote:In any case I would recommend cutting down your time once you can finish a section comfortably. Dont cut your time if youre struggling to finish in 35 minutes.


I'm assuming the OP's interested, as I am as well, even if you're struggling to finish in 35 minutes, does making the limit 30 minutes somehow make one work faster (after much practice and time constraints)?

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:34 am

glucose101 wrote:
gdane5 wrote:In any case I would recommend cutting down your time once you can finish a section comfortably. Dont cut your time if youre struggling to finish in 35 minutes.


I'm assuming the OP's interested, as I am as well, even if you're struggling to finish in 35 minutes, does making the limit 30 minutes somehow make one work faster (after much practice and time constraints)?


Short answer, not really. Especially not when done over a full section.

Mostly because what people do is try to speed up on hard questions, which inevitably causes an accuracy fall. The best way to speed up is to get a feel for which questions you can speed up on and which ways you can cut time. Most people waste a ton of time on easy questions arguing for bad answers and vacillating between two answer choices endlessly (they do this on easy, med and hard questions).

User avatar
dominkay
Posts: 355
Joined: Fri Apr 02, 2010 4:41 pm

Re: Lowering Section Time/Pacing

Postby dominkay » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:41 am

rjh456 wrote:I've read a lot about people working up to 30-32 minute sections. I think this is a great idea considering all the potential test day distractions - i.e. uncontrollable sobbing from the grown man sitting next to you - but I'm barely finishing the sections in 35 minutes as it is. Should I wait until I'm able to comfortably finish sections on time to try this strategy? Or does lowering your allotted time actually teach you to finish faster? I guess I just have trouble understanding how I will pick up speed just from shortening my time. Anyone who's used this technique successfully care to comment?


Personally, I think it's worthless (and my LSAT tutor agreed). In practice, I was naturally finishing most sections in under 35 minutes, with about 10 minutes to spare in Logical Reasoning. On the actual exam, I went much slower, because I was second-guessing myself and reading the questions over and over, and barely finished in time. I think it's less important to build your pace up to lightening speed than to STICK TO YOUR PACING ROUTINE on test day.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BobBoblaw, greatspirit, Lexaholik, VMars and 6 guests