Testmasters Online

wehman
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am

Testmasters Online

Postby wehman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 6:26 pm

Hello,

I am curious if anyone here on TLS has taken Testmasters online course. There is not a Testmasters classrom based course near my University. The closest would be 45 minutes away.

I am planning on following pithypikes and others tips and studying suggestions but I know myself well enough to know that the structure of a course would force me to incorporate studying for my LSATS. I need to treat it something like a 6th course this semester.

Would I be better off just taking the Kaplan course? I am not a fan of the fact they don't require a percentile for their teachers.

I'm primarily looking for testimonials for the Testmasters online course. I know many people will say just self study, but unless you took the course, just save yourself the time because I understand that's the majority opinion which I may end up following but as of right now, I'd like to hear from anyone who took Testmasters online.

Thanks.

Audio Technica Guy
Posts: 317
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 pm

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:00 pm

wehman wrote:Hello,

I am curious if anyone here on TLS has taken Testmasters online course. There is not a Testmasters classrom based course near my University. The closest would be 45 minutes away.

I am planning on following pithypikes and others tips and studying suggestions but I know myself well enough to know that the structure of a course would force me to incorporate studying for my LSATS. I need to treat it something like a 6th course this semester.

Would I be better off just taking the Kaplan course? I am not a fan of the fact they don't require a percentile for their teachers.

I'm primarily looking for testimonials for the Testmasters online course. I know many people will say just self study, but unless you took the course, just save yourself the time because I understand that's the majority opinion which I may end up following but as of right now, I'd like to hear from anyone who took Testmasters online.

Thanks.


I think a real Kaplan course (shudders) is better than TM online (double shudders). I didn't take TM online, but I've seen it in action. The thing that separates high scoring teachers from lower ones is mostly ability to answer questions, and you can't really do that with TM online, which is the biggest drawback. You can email Q's, but that is definitely not the same as asking Q's and doing socratic method in class.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:08 pm

I think you might be confusing the well known Testmasters company (main office in California) headed by LSAT guru Robin Singh with the Test Masters (notice the space between the two words!) company out of Texas.

The well known Testmasters that offers live classroom courses all over the country that has been around since the early '90's does not offer a dedicated 'online class'. It offers live classroom courses and students also get access to the student online resource center that has lots of supplementary stuff to go along with the classroom lessons.

The Texas Test Masters company hasn't been around nearly as long and typically is not the one people are talking about when they ask or say things about Testmasters.

Robins company is http://www.testmasters.net NOT DOT.com

User avatar
HiLine
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:57 am

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby HiLine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:12 pm

Jeffort wrote:
The Texas Test Masters company hasn't been around nearly as long



I remember someone saying this company started much earlier than the other.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:26 pm

HiLine wrote:
Jeffort wrote:
The Texas Test Masters company hasn't been around nearly as long



I remember someone saying this company started much earlier than the other.


Off hand I don't remember the particular year they actually started, but they did not start offering LSAT classes until many years after Testmasters started. I'm pretty sure Test - Masters started as a small regional company offering SAT prep or something and then sometime in the '90s they started offering LSAT classes after Testmasters expanded nationwide and became a well known brand for providing quality LSAT prep classes.

Robins Testmasters began solely as an LSAT prep provider before expanding into other tests.

There was a bunch of litigation years ago over the name. One of the big issues of that revolved around allegations that once the small Texas company noticed that the Testmasters name was well regarded as the best LSAT prep class provider (due to Robins company and how he pioneered a revolution in the LSAT prep world) they decided to take advantage of the goodwill/reputation of the name for LSAT prep and started offering LSAT prep services, allegedly counting on suckering people into signing up thinking they were signing up for a class with Robins company.

Some students that signed up for LSAT classes with the Texas company sued it once they realized they had been duped because they thought they were signing up for Robins Testmasters course. You can find lots of stuff about all that with some good googling.

Here is just one tiny lingering piece of the confusion that battle has caused people http://www.lawschooldiscussion.org/stud ... stmasters/

User avatar
LSAT Blog
Posts: 1262
Joined: Mon Dec 07, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby LSAT Blog » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:54 pm

+1 on what Jeffort said.

Robin Singh's TestMasters recently set up a website with information about prospective TestMasters students signing up with Test [space] Masters by mistake:

It's --LinkRemoved--

wehman
Posts: 38
Joined: Fri Nov 27, 2009 12:08 am

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby wehman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:15 pm

Thanks so much for the insight guys! It's helpful but sad reality that the great Testmasters doesn't offer an online virtual classroom.

Has anyone used the Atlas online virtual classroom? That one has graphs and instructors in the 99th percentile and you are allowed to ask questions if you have a mic.

User avatar
Atlas LSAT Teacher
Posts: 283
Joined: Tue May 12, 2009 10:18 am

Re: Testmasters Online

Postby Atlas LSAT Teacher » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:27 pm

wehman wrote:Thanks so much for the insight guys! It's helpful but sad reality that the great Testmasters doesn't offer an online virtual classroom.

Has anyone used the Atlas online virtual classroom? That one has graphs and instructors in the 99th percentile and you are allowed to ask questions if you have a mic.

I won't tell you what I think of them :), but, as long as there are some free seats you can attend the first session as a trial student to see if it's a good fit and we'd fed ex you the books once you sign up. Note that the trial class is not limited to 25 like the rest of the course, as we open it up to more folks to sit in to see if it's what they're looking for. Sounds like you want testimonials here, but if you have questions, reach out...




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: 34iplaw, Baidu [Spider], Deardevil, Hi-So - ArshavinFan, Walliums, Zoidberg747 and 9 guests