Princeton Prep Course Versus Self-Study (LG Bible/LR Bible)

Birdlaw

Princeton Prep Course Versus Self-Study (LG Bible/LR Bible)

Postby Birdlaw » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Took it in June, got a 159. I was expecting somewhere in the 160's. For Prep I took LSAT disclosed tests (the next 10...) for about 3-4 weeks. I didn't have a whole lot of time to study then, but I do now. So now that I've decided to retake, what should I do?

Princeton Prep Course for about 800-900 bucks.

or

Self-study, using either pithypikes study method or some variation of that. No idea what this would end up costing me. Probably around 150-250??

Basically what it comes down to is whether self-study is better than a structured course. Usually a classroom setting motivates me more, but I can't decide if its worth the money. Any advice on how to improve to the mid 160's and actually have money in my wallet?

tomwatts

Re: Princeton Prep Course Versus Self-Study (LG Bible/LR Bible)

Postby tomwatts » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:35 pm

Birdlaw wrote:Basically what it comes down to is whether self-study is better than a structured course. Usually a classroom setting motivates me more, but I can't decide if its worth the money.

(Bear in mind that I say this as a Princeton Review instructor.) No one can tell you for sure what the answer to this is. An LSAT score is worth a lot of money, but it's almost entirely a long-term investment. My personal answer would be that if you're likely to get a higher score taking the course than not, you should take the course. It's a few hundred dollars of difference, but you get a LOT more practice questions with the course, live instruction and individual help, and a study schedule that you're motivated to stick to. Is that worth it to you? No one can answer that but you.

If you have any questions about the course, feel free to ask.

ThePrincetonReview

Postby ThePrincetonReview » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:20 pm

Hi Birdlaw,

I'd like to provide you some information on The Princeton Review to help you in your decision making process. I see that you are concerned about breaking the bank. Well, because of The Princeton Review's partnership with Top Law Schools, you will receive $100 off any LSAT course you take with us. Furthermore, we are currently running a promotion for $300 off LSAT classroom and live online courses, but the offer ends today. I realize this is a difficult decision and will take some time. So, I am willing to extend this offer for you, if you are interested. Please give me a call at 949.863.6017. You can check out more discounts here http://www.top-law-schools.com/prlsat.html

Course or self-study? Of course my opinion will be biased, but I do believe a structured course will be more helpful than self-study (especially if the classroom setting is more motivating for you). I think you should utilize our free practice test http://theprincetonreview.com/free-onli ... tests.aspx and see how you do. It may strike realization of needing more help than you thought, or it may reassure your decision to self study. Either way, it is a good idea. If you do decide to self study, I have some book recommendations for you.

We produce many LSAT books, some wide-ranging and some more specific. I would suggest our Cracking the LSAT 2010-2011 edition; it is more all-inclusive. For a 10% discount and free shipping on Cracking the LSAT, go to this link: http://www.randomhouse.com/princetonrev ... 0375429293 and type in this code: PAD at checkout.

Again, I know you are worried about spending the money, but to reassure you The Princeton Review offers three types of guarantees: Satisfaction Guarantee, Money Back Guarantee, and a Readiness Guarantee. They all ensure that we will keep working with you until you feel ready for the big test or you can re-take the course or a refresher course (free of charge). In the end, if your score doesn't improve, we will give you your money back.
I hope that I have provided some insight and useful resources. Good luck on your test prep journey!

Best Regards,
Anthony Russomanno
The Princeton Review

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:36 pm

ha, seems as the big boss people are watching, though I'm guessing this guy is in marketing. :D

I agree, that generally the money is worth it for a class, and that most people will do substantially better in a classroom than trying to do self study. Sign up for a TPR Hyperlearning class if you can. It may move a bit slow at times, but if you put in the effort, you will see a gigantic increase and you don't have to worry about how to structure your practice, obtaining real prep tests, etc. And you have someone who has scored above a 171 (at the very least) teaching you and there to explain any questions you have. That may sound like marketing scholg, and to an extent it is, but its definitely true as well.

In my last class I had a student go from 132 to 157 and another go from 156 to 177. Sure, those results aren't typical, but I think it helps dispel the myth that TPR is aimed at some area of scorers.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:46 pm

Take a class and add to it with extra practice using old LSAT test questions ( you can purchase them from lsac or amazon.com) The class gives you a schedule and forces you to study and block in time for prep. IF this is a problem for you, then the class is worth the cost. If you havent allready, take a prep exam. Your score will help you make the decision as if the benefits of a class outweigh its cost ( a 165 or higher, and self study may be the best choice- all depends) Itemize the questions you got wrong to see what areas you need to focus on, but pay attention to all other types of questions.

Peronally, I am taking an online prep course over the summer, doing the homework 3 times, and adding in extra prep for each area to make sure I am getting the concept down. I am working full time as well, so I needd a prep course to force me to schedule in time for lsat review.

Keep in mind there is only 3 months and 1 week from today until the october exam.

northwood

Postby northwood » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:49 pm

also keep in mind pithypikes method will end up costing you around the same amount of money as a course.. and you need a lot of time and dedication to do it. If you found yourself fighting to study, then outside motivation ( ie dropping a grand on a course) might force you to study, especially during the nice summer months.

good luck

Audio Technica Guy

Postby Audio Technica Guy » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:54 pm

northwood wrote:Take a class and add to it with extra practice using old LSAT test questions ( you can purchase them from lsac or amazon.com) The class gives you a schedule and forces you to study and block in time for prep. IF this is a problem for you, then the class is worth the cost. If you havent allready, take a prep exam. Your score will help you make the decision as if the benefits of a class outweigh its cost ( a 165 or higher, and self study may be the best choice- all depends) Itemize the questions you got wrong to see what areas you need to focus on, but pay attention to all other types of questions.

Peronally, I am taking an online prep course over the summer, doing the homework 3 times, and adding in extra prep for each area to make sure I am getting the concept down. I am working full time as well, so I needd a prep course to force me to schedule in time for lsat review.

Keep in mind there is only 3 months and 1 week from today until the october exam.

If he purchases a TPR class, he has access to every single question ever released by LSAC and doesn't need to buy extra tests.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:58 pm

Depends on the course instructor as well as the student. Some students are very capable & self motivated and want to proceed at their own pace while other students need the structure of a formal class. Some Princeton Review instructors are more effective at teaching than others. Get a great instructor & the class is well worth the cost, get an average instructor & the material may seem more difficult to comprehend than necessary.
The short version is to ask friends & other students about the particular instructor who will be teaching the class that you plan to take. Princeton Review is unlikely to share instructor info. until about two weeks before the class begins, but that may vary from region to region.
Students in a current PR LSAT prep course find their super high scoring instructor to be mediocre, but recently had a substitute instructor who made the material very clear.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Perch

Postby Perch » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:01 pm

I'm in a similar situation. I took the exam in June 09 after doing a Kaplan course and got a 155. Took it again in February 10 with self-study and got a 159. I realize that I might need something different to get the 160+ and am debating either Princeton Review, Testmasters, private tutor or self study if I choose to take round 3 in October.

How big are the classes for PR?

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:08 pm

Are PowerScore courses available in your area? If so, that may be a safer option as PR really varies with the quality of the instructor.
Class size probably varies based upon the time of the year & the number of seats available in the classroom. The teaching ability of the instructor is far more important than class size in my opinion.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:09 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:Are PowerScore courses available in your area? If so, that may be a safer option as PR really varies with the quality of the instructor.

Can't shitty instructors work for Powerscore too?

If you do take a TPR course, take the Hyperlearning one and not the Accelerated version. Even if it's a couple hundred more, you'll probably get a lot more out of it.

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:13 pm

Of course instructor quality varies with all teaching institutions, but the poster seemed comfortable with self study & PowerScore materials, and the PowerScore LG & LR Bibles seem to get the best reviews on this website of any written resource.
Another option to consider is a private LSAT tutor. Princeton Review offers a variety of options that typically consist of a package deal averaging $150 per hour. Many private tutors advertise on Craigslist & hourly cost varies from $50 to $180 per hour with most charging $75 per hour. Ask for references, resume & a free meeting or consultation. Often there is no minimum number of required hours. PowerScore offers both classes & private tutoring, and, according to what PowerScore told me, if you take a PowerScore course & PowerScore private tutoring, the student receives a 30% discount on both.
Last edited by CanadianWolf on Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:22 pm

Perch wrote:How big are the classes for PR?

Not very. It's anywhere from 10-25 most of the time, depending on the location, time of year, etc.

ThePrincetonReview

Postby ThePrincetonReview » Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:14 pm

Hello Perch, Birdlaw, and everyone else,

Like Tom mentioned, TPR generally has smaller classroom sizes than other prep companies. Our LSAT classes average 10-14 students.

Also, I see some students discussing teacher quality; as previously mentioned, that will vary with all prep companies and you should ask other students and even the company about the teachers' background, etc. If you want more control over the quality of the teacher, you can consider private tutoring. You can prep with a TPR standard, master, or premier private tutor. The rates vary by location, so I suggest going here: http://testprep.princetonreview.com/Cou ... temCode=18 to find tutors and rates in your area.

I hope this helps! If you have any other questions, please email me at anthonyr@review.com or give me a call at 949.863.6017.

Best Regards,
Anthony Russomanno
The Princeton Review
National Director of Educational Partnerships

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”