What does 172+ really show?

romothesavior

Re: What does 172+ really show?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 pm

HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
One of the key differences is that people view the LSAT as an indicator of intelligence and capability to succeed in law school, whereas people view grades on exams (like law exams) as evidence of both intelligence AND hard work. It is hard for schools to really use the LSAT as an equalizer to gauge an applicant's law school potential when some people are taking it cold and others spent thousands of dollars on tutors, classes, prep materials, etc. and put in tons of hours.

History, physics, music, philosophy, etc. are also indicators of your ability to do your job well; so they are also indicators of intelligence and capability to succeed in their job.

And what job would history, music, and philosophy majors be doing exactly?

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:44 pm

HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
One of the key differences is that people view the LSAT as an indicator of intelligence and capability to succeed in law school, whereas people view grades on exams (like law exams) as evidence of both intelligence AND hard work. It is hard for schools to really use the LSAT as an equalizer to gauge an applicant's law school potential when some people are taking it cold and others spent thousands of dollars on tutors, classes, prep materials, etc. and put in tons of hours.

Grades in history, physics, music, philosophy, etc. are also indicators of your ability to do your job well; so they are also indicators of intelligence and capability to succeed in their job.

Are they though? Got statistics to back that up?

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:45 pm

romothesavior wrote:
HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

History, physics, music, philosophy, etc. are also indicators of your ability to do your job well; so they are also indicators of intelligence and capability to succeed in their job.

Investment banking, public relations, army generals, national presidents etc.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:46 pm

HiLine wrote:Investment banking, public relations, army generals, national presidents etc.

As a philosophy major and history minor, I can tell you TCR is living at home with mom and dad.

Or going to law school. Which just means three years of hell, and then living at home with mom and dad.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:47 pm

HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Investment banking, public relations, army generals, national presidents etc.

The investment banks that recruit at my undergrad only take applied math-econ majors. O.o I think they would laugh at music majors.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:12 pm

romothesavior wrote:
HiLine wrote:Investment banking, public relations, army generals, national presidents etc.

As a philosophy major and history minor, I can tell you TCR is living at home with mom and dad.

Or going to law school. Which just means three years of hell, and then living at home with mom and dad.

Oh really?

http://isites.harvard.edu/fs/docs/icb.t ... istory.pdf

http://hpronline.org/hprgument/why-do-h ... thats-why/

Postby 09042014 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:26 pm

HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Oh really?

LOL at you think Harvard employment outcomes are representative.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:47 pm

Desert Fox wrote:
HiLine wrote:
romothesavior wrote:

Oh really?

Yeah dude, come on. I just said I'm a philosophy major. I eat that shit up... I love it. It is a great major if you don't care about getting a real job.

HiLine

Postby HiLine » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:20 am

Desert Fox wrote:

Whoever said that? I just provided you with a counter-example to refute a false generalization. There are tons of other examples that you can easily find, even among your relatives and friends, colleagues, whatever. My point is that, usually school grades are an indicator of a person's ability to do well in their job even though the job does not require any specific academic knowledge that he learns from school. Call it a signal - the concept applies similarly to the LSAT as an indicator of ability for law school candidates. If you reason that intense preparation for the LSAT reduces its validity as a signal, then the same argument applies to intense preparation for school exams.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:24 am

I personally think that all scores higher than the one I got are basically the same as what I got.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:26 am

Tautology wrote:I personally think that all scores higher than the one I got are basically the same as what I got.

For the first half of your sentence I thought you were going to say a tautological statement. Then you didn't and I was disappointed.

Tautology

Postby Tautology » Wed Jun 30, 2010 1:34 am

acrossthelake wrote:
Tautology wrote:I personally think that all scores higher than the one I got are basically the same as what I got.

For the first half of your sentence I thought you were going to say a tautological statement. Then you didn't and I was disappointed.

Sorry to disappoint you, since I regret disappointing you.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”