Should I retake?!?

nolegirl22
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Should I retake?!?

Postby nolegirl22 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:53 pm

So I have been on this site for a while..always reading, but never posting..but now I am in a situation and I would like to know what you all think.

I currently go to FSU for undergrad with a 3.125UGPA and a 163 LSAT. I plan on applying to FSU, UF, Stetson, Miami(maybe), Loyola LA, and Pepperdine. My LSAT score was the highest I ever got, with reading comprehension being my weakest section. I am happy with my score, but think that if I could get just 2 or 3 points higher, I would be in a better place.

Please let me know what you think!! I really need some advice :)

njgal
Posts: 44
Joined: Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby njgal » Tue Jun 29, 2010 4:58 pm

If that is the highest you have gotten you need to seriously consider whether or not you could actually get higher. You would hate to retake it and not break 160. If you are confident and your PTs suggest you can constantly get above a 165, otherwise I would not advise.

User avatar
jackalope11
Posts: 265
Joined: Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:00 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby jackalope11 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:03 pm

njgal wrote:If that is the highest you have gotten you need to seriously consider whether or not you could actually get higher. You would hate to retake it and not break 160. If you are confident and your PTs suggest you can constantly get above a 165, otherwise I would not advise.



I think njgal has a point... I feel like I could possibly go back, retake, and get a few more points too. However, I could just as easily go back, have a bad day, and slide a little. I don't know that the risk is worth the reward.

If you take the test and score lower, you'll certainly be explaining that in your applications.

Also, I would heartily encourage a retake if you were consistently scoring significantly higher on your PT's than you did on test day, under testing conditions, and had some lapse... but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

defrutamadre
Posts: 43
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:48 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby defrutamadre » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:32 pm

I also agree with the above comments. Unless you anticipate enrolling in a test prep course or studying for the test intensively and differently, I think you should really weigh the risks of taking the LSAT again. If you say that your score is the highest you've ever gotten, really think about how you will perform the second time around. A person who takes it twice and gets a higher score the second time is viewed favorably in some way but a person who takes it twice and scores lower the second time only inspires a neutral or negative impression, I believe.

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:33 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:So I have been on this site for a while..always reading, but never posting..but now I am in a situation and I would like to know what you all think.

I currently go to FSU for undergrad with a 3.125UGPA and a 163 LSAT. I plan on applying to FSU, UF, Stetson, Miami(maybe), Loyola LA, and Pepperdine. My LSAT score was the highest I ever got, with reading comprehension being my weakest section. I am happy with my score, but think that if I could get just 2 or 3 points higher, I would be in a better place.

Please let me know what you think!! I really need some advice :)


Describe your LSAT preparation.

User avatar
Jeffort
Posts: 1896
Joined: Wed Jun 18, 2008 4:43 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby Jeffort » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:22 pm

romothesavior wrote:
Describe your LSAT preparation.


This ^

Including:
- most recent practice test scores from fresh tests you took under rigid conditions to simulate test day conditions when it counts.
- how long did you prep?
- how did you prep? {details please}
- is the 163 the only reported score you have and have you only taken the real thing that once?
- anything else seemingly relevant, etc.

On first blush I would say stick with that score and don't take the chance of adding mud (a lower score) to your LSAC candidate report. 163 is a very respectable score.

However, the others factors are relevant to the question, especially given your GPA.

nolegirl22
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby nolegirl22 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:17 pm

Jeffort wrote:
romothesavior wrote:
Describe your LSAT preparation.


This ^

Including:
- most recent practice test scores from fresh tests you took under rigid conditions to simulate test day conditions when it counts.
- how long did you prep?
- how did you prep? {details please}
- is the 163 the only reported score you have and have you only taken the real thing that once?
- anything else seemingly relevant, etc.

On first blush I would say stick with that score and don't take the chance of adding mud (a lower score) to your LSAC candidate report. 163 is a very respectable score.

However, the others factors are relevant to the question, especially given your GPA.



I started off at a 149 cold diagnostic in January. I self studied up until the test. In the first few months I used the Princeton Review book to go through the basics and try to get some strategies. Once March started, I didn't feel that I was improving, got discouraged and didn't study too much. Starting in April I got the Logic Games Bible and my Games sections were close to perfect. A few weeks later I also got the Arguments Bible. I was also taking PTs. I took about 12 PTs total. My last PTs were 156, 157, 158. I took the last two of them the week before the LSAT and the first one about two weeks before the test. I took one of the PTs in the library, where there were some distractions, and the others in my room where it was dead silent.

The 163 is the only score I have had reported. I have never taken the LSAT before. I would be really happy getting into FSU law, and they weigh the LSAT higher than the GPA, and they also take the highest LSAT. I only got -2 on the LG section and they were 2 I guessed. My worst section was RC, which I got -9. I got -3 and -7 on LR. I think that if I go through the test in detail and see what kinds of questions I got wrong I should be able to correct them.

Thanks for all your advice. I really need it. Do you think I could get in to the schools I am looking at with my numbers? I am worried I can't. :?

User avatar
northwood
Posts: 4872
Joined: Fri May 14, 2010 7:29 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby northwood » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:36 pm

I think FSU's minimum LSAT is a 161, so you're on the bubble ( but on the good side of it)

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby romothesavior » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:34 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:I only got -2 on the LG section and they were 2 I guessed. My worst section was RC, which I got -9. I got -3 and -7 on LR. I think that if I go through the test in detail and see what kinds of questions I got wrong I should be able to correct them.


If you really believe that you can correct those mistakes with hard work and studying, then a retake would be the best move you could make.

nolegirl22
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby nolegirl22 » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:27 pm

Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much

User avatar
Nikrall
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby Nikrall » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:37 pm

nolegirl22 wrote:Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much


Its mediocre, at best. Nowhere near as good as the other two.

User avatar
NU_Jet55
Posts: 977
Joined: Fri Dec 11, 2009 6:54 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby NU_Jet55 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:38 pm

Nikrall wrote:
nolegirl22 wrote:Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much


Its mediocre, at best. Nowhere near as good as the other two.


TITCR

User avatar
Perch
Posts: 517
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:36 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby Perch » Thu Jul 01, 2010 1:57 pm

Nikrall wrote:
nolegirl22 wrote:Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much


Its mediocre, at best. Nowhere near as good as the other two.


any suggestions for RC self-study?

User avatar
romothesavior
Posts: 14772
Joined: Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby romothesavior » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:21 pm

Perch wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
nolegirl22 wrote:Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much


Its mediocre, at best. Nowhere near as good as the other two.


any suggestions for RC self-study?


Get a tutor, preferably this guy:

Image

User avatar
djjf39
Posts: 182
Joined: Tue May 25, 2010 4:32 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby djjf39 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:33 pm

romothesavior wrote:Get a tutor, preferably this guy:


I am forced to agree, but I would also consider whether you believe your RC strategy was savvy. If so, then I would stay with a 163. If not, then I would develop a good strategy that works for you and take some more PTs and timed RC sections. Would you mind posting your misses for the 163? (-LG, -LR, -RC)

Good luck.

nolegirl22
Posts: 14
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 11:28 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby nolegirl22 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:05 pm

I honestly didn't have a strategy. i just read the questions first and then went through reading the passage with those questions in mind---underlining and starring as necessary.

Here's what I got
-2 on the LG section and they were 2 I guessed
RC: -9.
LR: -3 and -7

User avatar
Nikrall
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby Nikrall » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:14 pm

Perch wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
nolegirl22 wrote:Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much


Its mediocre, at best. Nowhere near as good as the other two.


any suggestions for RC self-study?


Read philosophy books/the economist and other complicated articles.

Also do a ton of RC passages.

Sorry...theres a limited amount you can do for RC.

TheOcho
Posts: 394
Joined: Wed Jun 09, 2010 9:46 pm

Re: Should I retake?!?

Postby TheOcho » Fri Jul 02, 2010 8:19 pm

Nikrall wrote:
Perch wrote:
Nikrall wrote:
nolegirl22 wrote:Has anyone used the RC Bible? I am thinking about getting it because the other 2 Bibles helped my scores so much


Its mediocre, at best. Nowhere near as good as the other two.


any suggestions for RC self-study?


Read philosophy books/the economist and other complicated articles.

Also do a ton of RC passages.

Sorry...theres a limited amount you can do for RC.


If you don't already "mark-up" the reading comprehension passages, this helps for some people. Marking important words and conclusions within the passage can help. This can also help you grab the main points of the passage and direct you to answers if need be. But don't go overboard, it doesn't do any good to molest the whole passage with a highlighter (don't use a highlighter on the LSAT, ever, IMO).

EDIT: Appears you already do that. RC fail.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: ladymew, lmnope and 12 guests