Good Books to Read for LSAT (retaking in Oct)

nillumin

Good Books to Read for LSAT (retaking in Oct)

Postby nillumin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:54 am

I wasn't satisfied with June score, and have decided to retake in October. I believe improving my reading speed of the logical reasoning/reading comprehension would really help my score. I'm fine with time on the games.

Does anyone have suggestions for any books that would be good to read through to do this? Admitdly I hadn't really read much at all during my last semester, I took all accounting courses and will be working full-time in accounting unitl september.

Thanks

fenway

Re: Good Books to Read for LSAT (retaking in Oct)

Postby fenway » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:01 am

bump

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:08 am

With 65 released exams, there are 260 Reading Comp passages available to you. Start with the very oldest and work your way forward. Once you do enough of them, you'll see that they have a specific format just like LG do. You may want to simply read several of them untimed to get a sense of how they're constructed.

For LR, LR stimuli are best (again, start with the older ones and work your way forward), but reading in general on the side may help also.

I like A Rulebook for Arguments in particular. Aside from that, making reading a part of your life in general should help with your reading comprehension overall.

I find that popular academic/science books (like Freakonomics by Levitt/Dubner and The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker) are chock-full of arguments addressing with correlation/causation issues, alternative causes/explanations, etc. and can increase your comfort level and familiarity with the types of arguments you typically see on the LSAT.

Greater comfort level and familiarity can help you achieve increased speed of comprehension.

nillumin

Postby nillumin » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:12 am

LSAT Blog wrote:With 65 released exams, there are 260 Reading Comp passages available to you. Start with the very oldest and work your way forward. Once you do enough of them, you'll see that they have a specific format just like LG do. You may want to simply read several of them untimed to get a sense of how they're constructed.

For LR, LR stimuli are best (again, start with the older ones and work your way forward), but reading in general on the side may help also.

I like A Rulebook for Arguments in particular. Aside from that, making reading a part of your life in general should help with your reading comprehension overall.

I find that popular academic/science books (like Freakonomics by Levitt/Dubner and The Blank Slate by Steven Pinker) are chock-full of arguments addressing with correlation/causation issues, alternative causes/explanations, etc. and can increase your comfort level and familiarity with the types of arguments you typically see on the LSAT.

Greater comfort level and familiarity can help you achieve increased speed of comprehension.

Now that I think about it.......repitition is probably the key haha. I agree. I only went through about 8 of the 10 practice tests in the most recent compiled booklet. I'll probably buy the most recent 20 or so, and see if I can get through a good portion of them.

Thanks for your advice.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”