Where to go from here

TruHoosier

Where to go from here

Postby TruHoosier » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:09 am

So I bombed the LSAT. Somehow, I managed to get a 149, which is my second-worst score of all time among my PTs. This is very embarrassing for me, and I spent all weekend being depressed as hell about it. I really expected to score in the mid-150s - maybe even around 160. Maybe you guys can help me figure out what the hell happened and how I can improve my situation.

I studied for about two months for 25 hours a week and read both Powerscore Bibles front to back (the Logic Games and Logical Reasoning ones). I took four PTs in all. My first one, after studying for only about three weeks, I landed a 150. I read both books and did all the study problems, took two PTs and scored a 156 and 162. After this, I had only about a week and a half left before the test so I took a week off of work and concentrated on my worst section (Logic Games). I studied the hell out of the Logic Games Bible and did LG problems that I found online. I took another PT the weekend before the test and got a 146. I bombed every section - even the LG section that I had just spent the past week studying like hell for. You can imagine how frustrated and confused I was.

I went into the actual test with my confidence and spirits pretty low. Regardless, I still walked out feeling like I did decent, at least significantly better than a 146. You can imagine how crappy I felt when I opened up my score on Friday and saw the 149. I wish I could pinpoint one section that I did bad on, but I literally bombed all of them. The crazy thing is, I actually felt pretty confident about my LG and LR sections.

I realize I didn't study enough and didn't do nearly enough PTs. Unfortunately, I didn't know any better - I didn't have much of a guide or plan for studying. I found this forum only a couple days after I took the actual test. I really wish that I had found it about four months ago when I decided I wanted to go to law school.

What's most troubling is that I left the test center feeling like I got a decent score. I must have done something in that final week and a half of studying to really screw up my head. It is pretty troubling to me – especially since I took a week and a half off of work to dedicate myself to my studies. I have a feeling that I might have just burnt my subconscious out and wasn’t reading as closely as I normally do.

The only other thing that I could attribute my shitty score to was the fact that I never took any of my PTs around other people. I’m very good under pressure and I am a good reader/writer, but I am the kind of person who is distracted very easily. I felt pretty distracted and had a hard time focusing a few times during the test. But that only happened a FEW times. So it wouldn’t account for my all-around horrid performance.

I obviously plan on retaking in October. I’m trying to decide how I want to prepare for it. I’m really leaning toward taking a TestMasters course. But if I do take it, I will have to miss the first class because of a travel commitment. This would be the only class that I have to miss. That shouldn’t be a big deal right?

If I do take this class, I want to significantly pull my score up – like into the 160s. Given my past PTs and my study history, do you guys think this is possible? I'm willing to throw myself into this class and really dedicate myself to it. I plan on attending every class - with the exception of the first one. And I plan on doing every homework assignment I am given.

stintez

Re: Where to go from here

Postby stintez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:14 am

You need to study for at least three months and take way way more practice test. Also maybe think about taking an LSAT class or get a tutor. Unless it was a retake 2.5 months is not going to get it done. While I did not bomb my June LSAT, I am going to retake it in October and I am going to study for 6-8 weeks for that. Keep in mind that I started studying at the end of January.

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:21 am

stintez wrote:You need to study for at least three months and take way way more practice test. Also maybe think about taking an LSAT class or get a tutor. Unless it was a retake 2.5 months is not going to get it done. While I did not bomb my June LSAT, I am going to retake it in October and I am going to study for 6-8 weeks for that. Keep in mind that I started studying at the end of January.

Yeah, I realize that I didn't study nearly enough now. I'm kicking myself for not doing more research into setting up a proper study plan and preparing adequately. Hindsight is always 20/20.

You think that if I take this TestMasters course, which starts on the 19th, that I will be ready for an October retake? I am willing to really dedicate myself to this class. I'm willing to give up drinking/partying, and I will even blow off work to get all my homework assignments done.

Am I going to do myself a big disservice by missing the first class of my TestMaster course? Anyone know?

stintez

Postby stintez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:27 am

Why would you miss the first class? Also how long is it?

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:53 am

The class goes all the way through to the October LSAT.

I'm going to miss the first class because of a travel engagement that is work related. It looks like the first class is just a diagnostic PT, probably to see where everyone is at score-wise. I think this is something I might be able to do on my own time and bring with me to the second class. I am going to call them later today and get this figured out.

slax

Postby slax » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:10 pm

The first class is just a diagnostic. You'll be fine if you miss it. I did no prep prior to the TestMasters course and only used TM materials to study, including PTs they provide. I went from 154 to 176 on game day. Put in the work and you should improve. Make sure you analyze which question types you are getting wrong and practice them until they are second nature. Also, add a fifth section to PTs. Even a sixth if you have endurance issues. Time PTs and additional sections from the getgo. Use this site while you take PTs to help with distractions: http://padawanlaw.com/?p=57

TruHoosier

Postby TruHoosier » Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:43 am

Sounds good. Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to sign up for the TM course by the end of the week. I think there's a discount or some sort of a fee that gets waived if I sign up early enough. I have a couple of friends, in person and on this forum, try to talk me out of taking this class because I've scored decent on PTs in the past. But I think it's a good idea. It seems to me that it's a good investment to drop a little bit of cash on this course and potentially get a great score as opposed to just a good score. A score well into the 160s could get me some scholarship money and admission into a better school, which would be worth more than the cost of this course.

Has anyone ever taken a TestMasters course in the Indianapolis area? Are a lot of people usually in these classes?

shock259

Postby shock259 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:51 am

Practice tests are the key. I can't emphasize that enough. I took 30 practice tests and raised my score during PTs to about 20 points higher than where I started. I ended up banking 15 points higher than my diagnostic on test day, but I attribute it mostly to my 30+ practice tests.

The courses can be good, but you need to supplement them with a LOT of practice tests. I don't think many people can do 30 PT's + an LSAT class at the same time without burning out, so I'd recommend spacing them out if you want to do both.

Good luck

CanadianWolf

Postby CanadianWolf » Tue Jun 29, 2010 8:59 am

You should take a prep course for several obvious reasons including the opportunity to take multiple practice tests with other students to simulate a real test day environment.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”