How getting a 145 on my LSAT is going to change my life.

swc65

Re: How getting a 145 on my LSAT is going to change my life.

Postby swc65 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:39 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Thank you for all that. I hope one day you find someone as great as me to get your coffee for you every morning. Pretty much proves my point about you assholes and how you need someone to get you your coffee when you can just stand up and do it yourself. Anyway. I'm going to delete this thread, i'm sick of hearing you people. When I get my October results..and if they are in the 160's hopefully I won't become an asshole like most of you, but hopefully that will propel me into the law schools of my choice.

OMG, most of these people were just messing with you. However, you may have proved their point about maturity level by getting so upset.

You're going to have to grow some thicker skin if you're going to be a lawyer.

RockabillyForums

Postby RockabillyForums » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:43 pm

Oblivion_08,

I also did not score as high as I would have liked on my first LSAT, which I took last year. I am retaking in October and what I found helpful to improve my score was the Knewton online class, it's cheaper and guarantees a 5 point increase or your money back, the powerscore bibles, and a lot of practice tests. I try to work on LSAT material Mon-Sat and take Sunday off. I hope this helps, good luck on your retake!

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:44 pm

Thank you everyone. I appreciate all of the advice and clearly I have a lot of work to do.

AdamatUCF

Postby AdamatUCF » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:49 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Anyway. I'm going to delete this thread, i'm sick of hearing you people.

Everyone says this, but they just keep coming back and replying.

You're a cliche.

romothesavior

Postby romothesavior » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:51 pm

You really should re-think law school if 145 is the best you can do. Or even if 155 is the best you can do. Hell, even if 160 is the best you can do, I'd re-think it.

I know people are being really hard on you, and that sucks. TLS is a rough place sometimes. But you really are in big trouble with that 145, and it is a really atrocious score. With the way the legal economy is, I don't think going to any school with a ~150ish median LSAT is worth it. You'll need to crack the 1st tier with $$$, or get huge $$$$ at a lower score. You need at least a 160+ to even start thinking about going to a law school that is worth the investment.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:58 pm

AdamatUCF wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:Anyway. I'm going to delete this thread, i'm sick of hearing you people.

Everyone says this, but they just keep coming back and replying.

You're a cliche.

I have no idea how to delete it, that is why it is still here. Teach me Sensai.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:03 pm

I read this title thread as "How having below average intelligence made me not smart enough to give up on law school"

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:I read this title thread as "How having below average intelligence made me not smart enough to give up on law school"

Thanks bud. Glad you read it like that.

paratactical

Postby paratactical » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:09 pm

Last edited by paratactical on Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:11 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:After scoring in the low 150's I went into the June 7 LSAT wanting a 153 or 154 to squeak me into Southwestern Law. Today I signed up for a Testmasters course(80 hours) compared to my 30 hour Kaplan class(never take Kaplan..I beg you people). I am now aiming for a 167 to get into USC/Pepperdine/UCLA/Loyola. This is going to change my life...I got a 145 and I was in utter shock. I scored 47/99. I NEVER got that before. I usually hit 58-62...this score might look bad..but a much better score will look even better. The improvement should hopefully turn schools on and let me in.

Thanks for reading my story! GET MOTIVATED PEOPLE!

You'll find that most people around TLS are very pessimistic. While not an actual LSAT, I originally scored a 146 on my diagnostic and was also pretty shocked. However, instead of letting the nay-sayers discourage me, I turned that "oh no you can't" speak into a positive motivator. There's few things better than doing something that someone said couldn't be done. Good luck with studying a second time around and even a third time if need be. A 20+ point improve is definitely within reach... I know because I did it.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:13 pm

lawduder wrote:
Oblivion_08 wrote:After scoring in the low 150's I went into the June 7 LSAT wanting a 153 or 154 to squeak me into Southwestern Law. Today I signed up for a Testmasters course(80 hours) compared to my 30 hour Kaplan class(never take Kaplan..I beg you people). I am now aiming for a 167 to get into USC/Pepperdine/UCLA/Loyola. This is going to change my life...I got a 145 and I was in utter shock. I scored 47/99. I NEVER got that before. I usually hit 58-62...this score might look bad..but a much better score will look even better. The improvement should hopefully turn schools on and let me in.

You'll find that most people around TLS are very pessimistic. While not an actual LSAT, I originally scored a 146 on my diagnostic and was also pretty shocked. However, instead of letting the nay-sayers discourage me, I turned that "oh no you can't" speak into a positive motivator. There's few things better than doing something that someone said couldn't be done. Good luck with studying a second time around and even a third time if need be. A 20+ point improve is definitely within reach... I know because I did it.

twenty points after a cold diagnostic happens a lot. 20 points after studying and taking the real thing, statistically, doesn't happen.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:14 pm

lawduder wrote:

Thank you so much I appreciate that a lot. I was also wondering..should I maybe take the test in February to give myself more time? Keer in mind I want to apply for fall of 2011, will that be too late?

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:22 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:
lawduder wrote:

Thank you so much I appreciate that a lot. I was also wondering..should I maybe take the test in February to give myself more time? Keer in mind I want to apply for fall of 2011, will that be too late?

I'd definitely try to take it in the fall but December should probably be a last resort. For what it's worth, I took it in December and applied in the beginning of January and ended up getting into my first choice with $$.

Merr

Postby Merr » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:33 pm

I might get attacked for saying this, but the Kaplan course did help me to get where I wanted to go. On top of that, it is only a 30 hour class if that is all you do. Working independently and using the additional materials from the course and other sources was 90% of the work/time investment in my case.

It is possible that your prep method, rather then a prep course, could have played the larger role in your score.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 pm

Honestly, this result is my fault..not Kaplan's. I didn't put enough time into it. There were some problems I was having the last month into the test, and I never really put too much effort into studying. This time around I will be more motivated. The biggest mistake I made was coming on this site before the test and asking people's advice...completely killed my confidence. I'm gonna start studying for the October test in August..and hopefully I get the result I want.

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:01 pm

Honest advice, you better start studying before august.

Thirteen

Postby Thirteen » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:05 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:Honestly, this result is my fault..not Kaplan's. I didn't put enough time into it. There were some problems I was having the last month into the test, and I never really put too much effort into studying. This time around I will be more motivated. The biggest mistake I made was coming on this site before the test and asking people's advice...completely killed my confidence. I'm gonna start studying for the October test in August..and hopefully I get the result I want.

If you have the time, begin your test prep immediately. Try to work through the Powerscore Bibles by August, then begin taking practice tests. It's going to take a significant investment in time and energy to raise your score ~20 points, so you need to drop everything and start prepping now if you plan to score in the 160's. The LSAT becomes easier when you get used to the timing and pacing of working through the questions, and this is accomplished through practice and repetition. Many of the posters on TLS can bullshit for a month and get a score in the 160's, and I'm sure that is motivating some of the negative responses you have received. Unfortunately, your score suggests that you are not in the same boat. If you want to go to a good law school, you will need to raise your score. If you are willing to put in a significant amount of work, raising your score is possible. Look up Pithypike's LSAT prep plan, and start working through the Bibles asap.

Edit: I'm not trying to offend you or suggest that you aren't as smart as other posters, but merely trying to give you a realistic assesment of the work you'll have to do in the next few months. Good luck with the prep.
Last edited by Thirteen on Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawduder

Postby lawduder » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:06 pm

Patriot1208 wrote:Honest advice, you better start studying before august.

+1, I'd start studying July 1st or maybe after a fun July 4th weekend. Don't wait until August because you need a lot of work.

acdisagod

Postby acdisagod » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:07 pm

Kaplan courses suck
Their materials on the other hand are incredible. the explanations of each answer for every practice test were very helpful.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:14 pm

Don't take the jerks personally. I don't know why, but there are a lot of smart people on this site who have lots of posts and they get their kicks by being cruel to complete strangers who are new to the site. My first post I was called a c*** for no reason.

I like your post. Your just saying that you're motivated by a 145 to score in the 160s. It is definitely possible. In between shitting on you people have offered great advice. Read the LG and LR bibles. Use Pithypikes guide. Do Kaplan if you want, but don't count on the class to do all the work for you. Study on your own as well. Good luck.

luckycurl84

Postby luckycurl84 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:18 pm

Meme anyone??

I thought I'd find some in here but was sadly, disappointed. :(

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:27 pm

I'm not offended by anything any of you say, trust me. Annoyed, maybe, but never offended. If I let you people offend me I wouldn't want to be go into law. I will start studying next week then. I have already signed up for Testmasters and I am waiting for a refund from Kaplan(already submitted in my paper to get a refund). Should I still get the bibles for the month of july before my classes start in August..or just use the testmasters books?

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:30 pm

Oblivion_08 wrote:I'm not offended by anything any of you say, trust me. Annoyed, maybe, but never offended. If I let you people offend me I wouldn't want to be go into law. I will start studying next week then. I have already signed up for Testmasters and I am waiting for a refund from Kaplan(already submitted in my paper to get a refund). Should I still get the bibles for the month of july before my classes start in August..or just use the testmasters books?

Definitely get the bibles and start studying right now.

estevanrey

Postby estevanrey » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:32 pm

You have a lot to do and it will but not be easy. i think what everyone is trying to point out is that lawschool is an invesment that you only make if you will have a net profit from and in todays legal market a 145 won't cut it. You should definatly keep trying though especialy if you didn't put any effort in when you first took the class. How do you pay over a thousand dollars for a class and then not try, thats a little troubling. Just keep working and you will get a 160, the lsat is all about learning question types.

Oblivion_08

Postby Oblivion_08 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:37 pm

estevanrey wrote:You have a lot to do and it will but not be easy. i think what everyone is trying to point out is that lawschool is an invesment that you only make if you will have a net profit from and in todays legal market a 145 won't cut it. You should definatly keep trying though especialy if you didn't put any effort in when you first took the class. How do you pay over a thousand dollars for a class and then not try, thats a little troubling. Just keep working and you will get a 160, the lsat is all about learning question types.

I had some health problems, family moved in to my place and lost a lot of concentration. I also lost a family member. Too much went on. Don't know why I took the test in the first place...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”