STUDY HELP PLEASE!

GoGetIt

STUDY HELP PLEASE!

Postby GoGetIt » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:19 pm

I'm taking a Kaplan course right now and I'm aiming on taking the February LSAT(if I don't feel ready, ill push the date back to June). Here it is. I have a very good work ethic and I'm willing to put in the amount of hours/practice necessary,aside from the course, for me to score my goal of 170. From what I've heard from friends who've scored in the 170s, they worked on about 30+ tests each. With this being said, would it be a good idea to start taking tests on my own now or should I focus on this course for the time being and start taking the tests on my own after it ends? Also, my friends have also told me that the LG and RC bibles are superb. I definitely plan on incorporating these into my study, however, the same question arises. Should I start working from the bibles now, on top of the course, or should I use these afterwards? Please excuse my naivety, but some have told me that if February comes and I'm not ready, that I will be in a bad situation due to limited study resources available. So, from all of you who have had solid performance(165+), should I go all out with the course, bibles, and separate practice tests or should I use these non-course related materials in my study now?? YOUR HELP WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thank you.

acrossthelake

Re: STUDY HELP PLEASE!

Postby acrossthelake » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:16 am

Set your goal for 180, not 170.

Take a full practice diagnostic(have an idea of what to expect though, not totally cold) and see what sections you need work in. Focus on that first, since it is rather early. I'd take maybe one full practice test every other week or so for now, and then increase that once you get to like..December. No idea what to do re: course. Didn't take one. Don't know what they're like.

Nikrall

Postby Nikrall » Mon Jun 28, 2010 2:44 am

GoGetIt wrote:I'm taking a Kaplan course right now and I'm aiming on taking the February LSAT(if I don't feel ready, ill push the date back to June). Here it is. I have a very good work ethic and I'm willing to put in the amount of hours/practice necessary,aside from the course, for me to score my goal of 170. From what I've heard from friends who've scored in the 170s, they worked on about 30+ tests each. With this being said, would it be a good idea to start taking tests on my own now or should I focus on this course for the time being and start taking the tests on my own after it ends? Also, my friends have also told me that the LG and RC bibles are superb. I definitely plan on incorporating these into my study, however, the same question arises. Should I start working from the bibles now, on top of the course, or should I use these afterwards? Please excuse my naivety, but some have told me that if February comes and I'm not ready, that I will be in a bad situation due to limited study resources available. So, from all of you who have had solid performance(165+), should I go all out with the course, bibles, and separate practice tests or should I use these non-course related materials in my study now?? YOUR HELP WILL BE VERY MUCH APPRECIATED!! Thank you.

Don't take Kaplan and don't take a preptest each week. You need to have untimed practice. A lot of it. But you do need a diagnostic now to see where you are scoring.

If you must take Kaplan, focus on the course until it ends.

GoGetIt

Postby GoGetIt » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:06 pm

acrossthelake wrote:Set your goal for 180, not 170.

Take a full practice diagnostic(have an idea of what to expect though, not totally cold) and see what sections you need work in. Focus on that first, since it is rather early. I'd take maybe one full practice test every other week or so for now, and then increase that once you get to like..December. No idea what to do re: course. Didn't take one. Don't know what they're like.

This sounds pretty good. What did you score? If you don't my asking of course. I took a diagnostic about a week ago, COMPLETELY cold, and scored a dismal 143. However, I REALLY tanked out pretty bad on the LG section, getting 4 of them right(literally). As far as the LG and RC bibles are concerned, how should I incorporate these into my study without "burning all my material too early," and how much material do each of these books have have?

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”