TonyStark's October Re-Take Study Diary (Canadian)

TonyStark123

TonyStark's October Re-Take Study Diary (Canadian)

Postby TonyStark123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:56 pm

Well, all I can say is I wish I knew about this forum two months ago. After reading few just a few posts here I am beginning to understand why, after scoring 167s on my PT's, my actual LSAT score for the June 2010 test was only 160. The simple answer is that I didn't review my tests, I simply rushed into them one after another, and I did not accurately simulate timing conditions. If there is one piece of advice I can give to people studying now, it is that when those 35 minutes are up, you have to STOP and move to the next section. On my PTs when time was up I consistently allowed myself an extra 30 seconds to bubble or even gave myself an extra minute thinking, "on the real test I'll move faster." This was my fatal error, timing destroyed my scores. I know I have the reading skills to do well on the test, I have a 3.92 GPA and my essays have been published in my school's history magazine, but timing was something I failed to pay enough attention to.

Fortunately for me, Canadian law schools only look at your top LSAT score, and I am already within the range for many of the schools I am interested in. Unfortunately, I am significantly out of the acceptable range for the University of Toronto and Osgoode Hall, the two top common law schools in Canada which both have median LSAT ranges of around 167-168. In addition, I would very much like to attend UBC, and their median range is 164. I would probably be accepted on the strength of my GPA, but it is far from certain. For any Canadians out there, I know that McGill is arguably the best law school out there, however, my French is too weak for me to consider that option.

Anyways, I am now studying for the October 2010 LSAT with a goal of 174. I know that this is extremely ambitious, but I'd like to quote JFK on this one: "Once you say you're going to settle for second that's what happens to you in life, I find." I look forward to any advice you have and I promise to help others as much as I am able to. Unfortunately, as a Canadian I do not know much about your schools, other than those in the Top Ten, but I will contribute where able. Anyways, here we go.

June 2010 LSAT:
Total Score:160
-8 LR
-8 LG
-6 RC
-4 LR

Chimica

Re: TonyStark's October Re-Take Study Diary (Canadian)

Postby Chimica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:14 am

Here is some other info on Canadian law schools.
(Fellow canadian here-I'll be likely retaking my 166, but I'm going to talk to the admissions to see if there is an benefit to upping my LSAT score -other than pride. I think I can squeak it-I actually need to determine my GPA still.)
http://www.oxfordseminars.ca/LSAT/lsat_profiles.php

navi786

Postby navi786 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:25 am

That link was really helpful !! thnx
some how TLS canadian school rating page shows a super low tution fee for Osgoode ! and for months i believed it was only near 4 digits..

Anyways.. i think my score wont be higher than 160 , i just wrote it yesterday on 27th... Will be def. writing it again in OCT....

Do you think while evaluating my application a 5 year program in BA(hons) LLB from a good recognized Indian Uni. will be an asset or wont make any dif. ? especially when the focus of uni's like osgoode has been multiple JD degree from dif. countries(US/Canada)... any thoughts ?

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:41 am

Hey dude,

Fellow Canadian here. I did pretty well on the last LSAT administration (175), and I can tell you that strict timing is essential. I would even say that by the end of your studying you should do a few with 32 or 33 minutes on each section, as that's closer to how you feel on the real test. I think I might have responded to your chances thread but I'll say again you still have a solid shot at some good schools with your numbers. Seems like you need a bit of work in all your sections. You have plenty of time and you will get there for sure.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:44 am

navi - the number quoted was probably domestic tuition, it can get quite a bit higher for international students (guess would be 20-30,00 range) still cheaper than the states though.

TonyStark123

Postby TonyStark123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:23 am

Saltqjibo, yes you did post in my chances thread, thanks for the feedback and congratulations on your excellent score! I know that I have a good chance with all of my schools, with the exception of Toronto. However, I would like to really lock those down and expand my options, and since Canadian schools only look at your top scores, there is nothing to lose and everything to gain by re-taking. As for my score, timing was the big issue, I only got a solid chance at 3/4 LG and on the last RC section I guessed on every question, every other question I got right. So, I know I can do the questions accurately, it is definitely a timing issue.

Today I have an essay due and some other projects to attend to. But I am going to start making some holistic changes that will make writing the test easier. First change: getting up at 9 AM everyday. Going into the LSAT sleep deprived and not used to getting up that early definitely hurt my performance.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:50 am

One more tidbit for Canadians.

I was at dinner a couple days ago with a guy who had done his law degree in the US, but had moved back to Canada before taking the bar. He then took a couple courses back in Canada and took the Canadian bar.

So it seems pretty easy to switch countries between the US and Canada. It may be useful to apply to some US schools as well for scholarship options (Based on comments here-I think the scholarship options in the USare a bit better). However, US schools vary WIDELY in terms of education recieved. (Something I didn't realise until I spent sometime down there-Canadian universities are all good, but none are crazy good)

hotdog123

Postby hotdog123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:53 am

Best of luck Tony. UBC is one of my dream schools.

navi786

Postby navi786 » Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:14 am

[quote="Saltqjibo"]navi - the number quoted was probably domestic tuition, it can get quite a bit higher for international students (guess would be 20-30,00 range) still cheaper than the states though.[/]

Hey Saltqjibo, I am aware of the tution difference, i should have been clearer in my post.. I am a Canadian citizen ...and the dif. qouted for both was in terms of domestic fee only..
:)

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”