is score crucially important for law school application?

idoubtit

is score crucially important for law school application?

Postby idoubtit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:23 pm

I know a guy who got a 152 or 157 on his LSAT last year and got interview with Virginia law school, which is a pretty good one, actually number 1 in environmental law (which is this guy's interest).

just wondering why.

rman1201

Re: is score crucially important for law school application?

Postby rman1201 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:24 pm

Last edited by rman1201 on Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

idoubtit

Postby idoubtit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:25 pm

rman1201 wrote:Are you really going to make 20 different threads because of your low LSAT score?

if u can offer any helpful thoughts, I will stop.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:31 pm

You made 3 threads for generic/similar questions. Yes, lsat score is crucial...it's like 60+% of your app decision.

And what does an interview have to do with getting accepted?
Last edited by Anaconda on Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:31 pm

idoubtit wrote:
rman1201 wrote:Are you really going to make 20 different threads because of your low LSAT score?

You wont get into UVA with a 15x lsat unless you are a noble prize winner

idoubtit

Postby idoubtit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:33 pm

Teoeo wrote:
idoubtit wrote:

You wont get into UVA with a 15x lsat unless you are a noble prize winner

nobel prize winners usually are in their 80s. too old for law school anyway:)

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:34 pm

=D

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:42 pm

idoubtit wrote:I know a guy who got a 152 or 157 on his LSAT last year and got interview with Virginia law school, which is a pretty good one, actually number 1 in environmental law (which is this guy's interest).

just wondering why.

Wondering why what? Why the LSAT is important to admissions, or why the guy you know got an interview at UVA with mediocre LSAT scores?

And I think that UVA doesn't really conduct many interviews. You're sure this guy isn't bullshitting you?

tomwatts

Postby tomwatts » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:43 pm

By definition, a quarter of the students that a given law school accepts are below their 25th percentile LSAT score. Because law schools know that people pay attention to the quartiles (25th, 50th, and 75th percentiles), they design their quartiles very deliberately ("Okay, we're going to build a class of 100 students, and we want a median of 163, so let's accept 51 students with a 163 or above right now") and can screw around as much as they choose within those quartiles. With that bottom quarter of students, they'll accept some pretty low numbers if there are good stories to go along with them.

The problem is that there are far, far more applications to choose from when you look at the stack that is below the median than there are when you look at the stack that is above the median. Your softs have to be that much more compelling.

Teoeo

Postby Teoeo » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:44 pm

cubswin wrote:
idoubtit wrote:I know a guy who got a 152 or 157 on his LSAT last year and got interview with Virginia law school, which is a pretty good one, actually number 1 in environmental law (which is this guy's interest).

just wondering why.

Wondering why what? Why the LSAT is important to admissions, or why the guy you know got an interview at UVA with mediocre LSAT scores?

And I think that UVA doesn't really conduct many interviews. You're sure this guy isn't bullshitting you?

+1 I was thinking the same thing about the interview.

redsox

Postby redsox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:46 pm

idoubtit wrote:nobel prize winners usually are in their 80s. too old for law school anyway:)

That isn't even true. You made that up.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:47 pm

Anyone close to calling flame?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:49 pm

Anaconda wrote:Anyone close to calling flame?

I was getting more of the ESL vibe

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:50 pm

just wondering why.

I think OP probably means Vermont, not Virginia, since Vermont is ranked #1 in environmental law and accessible with a 157.

Vermont is TTT, OP, remember that. LSAT is critically important for admission to a worthwhile program (specialty rankings mean almost nothing).

pinkzeppelin

Postby pinkzeppelin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:04 pm

Don't worry OP I got your back. Don't let all these fools convince you that the admissions committee cares about the LSAT. It's just a test, right? Law School Numbers and other such sites show that they tend to admit applicants with higher LSAT scores, but they are mistaking correlation for causation. Admission committees don't even see your LSAT score, it's more of a formality than anything else. It just so happens that people who score high LSAT scores always lead more interesting lives and have higher GPAs. So don't let these fools push you down. Show them who's boss and get into Harvard with your 163!

idoubtit

Postby idoubtit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:08 pm

pinkzeppelin wrote:Don't worry OP I got your back. Don't let all these fools convince you that the admissions committee cares about the LSAT. It's just a test, right? Law School Numbers and other such sites show that they tend to admit applicants with higher LSAT scores, but they are mistaking correlation for causation. Admission committees don't even see your LSAT score, it's more of a formality than anything else. It just so happens that people who score high LSAT scores always lead more interesting lives and have higher GPAs. So don't let these fools push you down. Show them who's boss and get into Harvard with your 163!

u think u are funny?
I think you are mean and boring:)

idoubtit

Postby idoubtit » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:12 pm

redsox wrote:
idoubtit wrote:nobel prize winners usually are in their 80s. too old for law school anyway:)

That isn't even true. You made that up.

I had a chance to have a lunch with a nobel prize winner. someone asked him"how to become a nobel prize winner?"
he said:"first, curiosity is the key. you have to always be curious. secondly, u have to live longer than all your competitors."

redsox

Postby redsox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:18 pm

idoubtit wrote:I had a chance to have a lunch with a nobel prize winner. someone asked him"how to become a nobel prize winner?"
he said:"first, curiosity is the key. you have to always be curious. secondly, u have to live longer than all your competitors."

--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--
--LinkRemoved--

cubswin

Postby cubswin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:29 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:

just wondering why.

I think OP probably means Vermont, not Virginia, since Vermont is ranked #1 in environmental law and accessible with a 157.

Vermont is TTT, OP, remember that. LSAT is critically important for admission to a worthwhile program (specialty rankings mean almost nothing).

Nice. You resolved that paradox. The TLS article on that school made me laugh a few times.

Vermont Law’s rural location is sure to dissuade many applicants from applying.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”