Official June 27 2010 LSAT Waiting Thread (overseas takers)

FutureApplicant

Re: Official June 27 2010 LSAT Waiting Thread (overseas takers)

Postby FutureApplicant » Tue Jun 29, 2010 2:13 am

PLATONiC wrote:Also, I'm very suspicious of LSAC being less lenient with their curves when it comes to undisclosed tests. They could easily get away with it. But this is just an irrational suspicion:D

What I'm curious about is how LSAC takes into account the large portion of non-native speakers on overseas tests. At least at my test center, well over 90% of the test takers were not native English speakers. While I have the utmost respect and admiration for anyone with the guts to tackle the LSAT in a second language (I can't imagine attempting a graduate-level exam in Mandarin) one would nevertheless have to assume that the LSAT would be harder for non-native speakers. Therefore, it seems likely the average score would tend to be lower on a test given in China/Korea/Japan than one given in the US.

mottainai

Postby mottainai » Tue Jun 29, 2010 3:26 am

FutureApplicant wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:Also, I'm very suspicious of LSAC being less lenient with their curves when it comes to undisclosed tests. They could easily get away with it. But this is just an irrational suspicion:D

What I'm curious about is how LSAC takes into account the large portion of non-native speakers on overseas tests. At least at my test center, well over 90% of the test takers were not native English speakers. While I have the utmost respect and admiration for anyone with the guts to tackle the LSAT in a second language (I can't imagine attempting a graduate-level exam in Mandarin) one would nevertheless have to assume that the LSAT would be harder for non-native speakers. Therefore, it seems likely the average score would tend to be lower on a test given in China/Korea/Japan than one given in the US.

I seriously doubt that LSAC would adjust the curves for test takers outside of North America, considering how many native speakers do take the test. At my test center in Tokyo, most of the test takers seemed to be native speakers. It would be difficult to create a curve that would simultaneously adjust to non-native speakers and yet be tough enough for native speakers not to take advantage. Otherwise, if I were a taking the exam, I would flock outside the US to take advantage of this system.

I could be wrong though.

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:21 am

mottainai wrote:
FutureApplicant wrote:

I seriously doubt that LSAC would adjust the curves for test takers outside of North America, considering how many native speakers do take the test. At my test center in Tokyo, most of the test takers seemed to be native speakers. It would be difficult to create a curve that would simultaneously adjust to non-native speakers and yet be tough enough for native speakers not to take advantage. Otherwise, if I were a taking the exam, I would flock outside the US to take advantage of this system.

I could be wrong though.

I have to agree, it would be too impractical to adjust on the basis of native speaking ability

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:40 am

Just curious - did anyone have a non-floodplains test??
mottainai wrote: It would be difficult to create a curve that would simultaneously adjust to non-native speakers and yet be tough enough for native speakers not to take advantage.

+1

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:43 am

Those RC passages would be impossible as a non-native speaker lol

FutureApplicant

Postby FutureApplicant » Tue Jun 29, 2010 11:05 pm

neptunestar wrote:Those RC passages would be impossible as a non-native speaker lol

Agreed.

There was a kid at my test center--native Chinese speaker and college English major--who was taking for his second time. The first time he'd gotten a 160. He wanted a 165 so that he could go to a "top 30" law school. I was impressed.

It was also funny to hear so many people fretting about RC, when it seems like for many native speakers the dragon in the closet is always LG.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jun 30, 2010 12:06 am

I find it hard to believe that this test will actually end up with a generous curve.

Although the RC passage was difficult, I don't think that it was that much more difficult than the usual RC. But if LSAC decides to offer a -14 curve, I'm sure that I'd end up with a 170s score. :( :( :(

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:38 am

These days are going by so slowly. Ugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:42 am

PLATONiC wrote:I find it hard to believe that this test will actually end up with a generous curve.

Although the RC passage was difficult, I don't think that it was that much more difficult than the usual RC. But if LSAC decides to offer a -14 curve, I'm sure that I'd end up with a 170s score. :( :( :(

Nothing is hard to believe. Everything is possible.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 3:59 am

yurishima wrote:These days are going by so slowly. Ugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

I know :cry:

However, there is also a significant lack of neurotic obsession in this thread. I feel like this contributes to time feeling even slower.

Last night I had a nightmare that I misbubbled a whole section. I woke up at 1am and couldn't sleep again until 5... and then had to wake up at 6:30 to go to work :(

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:37 am

I'd be neurotically obsessed if I didn't screw up that logic games section, because that means that I would have a chance at getting a really high score. I've pretty much given up on this possibility.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:50 am

FutureApplicant wrote:
neptunestar wrote:Those RC passages would be impossible as a non-native speaker lol

Agreed.

There was a kid at my test center--native Chinese speaker and college English major--who was taking for his second time. The first time he'd gotten a 160. He wanted a 165 so that he could go to a "top 30" law school. I was impressed.

It was also funny to hear so many people fretting about RC, when it seems like for many native speakers the dragon in the closet is always LG.

True, non-native speakers may sometimes be at a disadvantage, but in many cases, knowing multiple languages could mean one can handle different languages with (almost) equal ease. I say this as a non-native speaker who had reverse scores on the SAT at least: much higher writing and verbal scores (99 percentile) than math(94 percentile).

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Thu Jul 01, 2010 4:53 am

Does anyone have numbers on how many people take the LSAT in Asia every year and what % of that is the total number of LSAT takers worldwide or even compared to the US?

Random question but just curious....

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 5:18 am

PLATONiC wrote:I'd be neurotically obsessed if I didn't screw up that logic games section, because that means that I would have a chance at getting a really high score. I've pretty much given up on this possibility.

I'm neurotically obsessed because I really really think now that I've misbubbled.
:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

hemm

Postby hemm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 7:16 am

I'm getting more and more worried that I completely bombed the test and there's nothing I can do about it, this is bad, bad, bad. UGH.

FutureApplicant

Postby FutureApplicant » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:50 am

hemm wrote:I'm getting more and more worried that I completely bombed the test and there's nothing I can do about it, this is bad, bad, bad. UGH.

Haha, I've been having the same feelings. Did I screw up the bubbling? Did I misread this question? Did I miss something on that question? Did I zone out for a few questions without really realizing it?

Hopefully we're all just panicking needlessly. Hopefully.

kazu

Postby kazu » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:45 am

hemm wrote:I'm getting more and more worried that I completely bombed the test and there's nothing I can do about it, this is bad, bad, bad. UGH.

Well, we still have a couple of days left to cancel..........................

Looks like I won't be able to sleep tonight either :evil:

beachbum

Postby beachbum » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:20 am

I had the exact same feeling. I almost canceled on the spot, then debated canceling for several days after the test. I was convinced I had gotten something in the range of 163-165 (after a PT average of 170), but decided to let it ride on the off-chance that I did better than expected (and wouldn't have to retake). My actual score: 170.

As far as the curve... it'll probably be more generous than you think. If I recall from the June 7 LSAT thread, just about everyone was predicting a curve around -10. Some of the crazier among us seemed to think it would be -11. The actual curve: -12. And it was only out of 99 questions (one was removed). (For what it's worth, I had a different screen name then, but decided to change it to better protect my identity).

And if you go back to the December 09 test thread, the curve predictions were about the same... until they got hit with that -14. Just sayin. It seems that a lot of us jump to negative conclusions about our test experience, but I wouldn't worry too much until you have your score in hand.

pjuls123

Postby pjuls123 » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:05 pm

Last edited by pjuls123 on Fri May 18, 2012 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:44 pm

-14 Curve = 170+

SentinelsOfEvil

Postby SentinelsOfEvil » Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:55 pm

neptunestar wrote:Does anyone have numbers on how many people take the LSAT in Asia every year and what % of that is the total number of LSAT takers worldwide or even compared to the US?

Random question but just curious....

I'd love to know that too... The only info I can give you is that around 20 ppl took it in Singapore

hemm

Postby hemm » Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:14 pm

Yeah I hope we're all freaking out for no reason. I felt good after the test, but now I'm remembering how little diagramming I did in the LR sections and how I changed a few answers before time ran out and thinking I could've made some big mistakes.

gschlabach

Postby gschlabach » Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:19 pm

SentinelsOfEvil wrote:The only info I can give you is that around 20 ppl took it in Singapore

There were 8 people taking it in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Thu Jul 01, 2010 11:28 pm

There were nearly 200 people at my test center in Seoul, Korea.

FutureApplicant

Postby FutureApplicant » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:07 am

kazu wrote:
yurishima wrote:These days are going by so slowly. Ugggggghhhhhhhhhh.

I know :cry:

However, there is also a significant lack of neurotic obsession in this thread. I feel like this contributes to time feeling even slower.

Last night I had a nightmare that I misbubbled a whole section. I woke up at 1am and couldn't sleep again until 5... and then had to wake up at 6:30 to go to work :(

Last night I had a nightmare about the LSAT as well, specifically the LG section. After that I had a dream about an ex-girlfriend. On balance, right now I'd rather be thinking about the ex-girlfriend.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”