Official June 27 2010 LSAT Waiting Thread (overseas takers)

kazu

Re: Official June 27 2010 LSAT Waiting Thread (overseas takers)

Postby kazu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:01 am

PLATONiC wrote:Do you think that the candidate referral service might have had an impact on you getting a Cooley brochure? I haven't signed up for the service yet.

Maybe? I honestly don't remember if I signed up for the service or not. But why Cooley?? WHY????

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Tue Jul 06, 2010 6:16 am

I guess the only worse thing would be if your score e-mail had a Cooley ad movie that you cannot skip embedded to it. (Until the movie is over, you cannot view your score and movie ends with "WE ARE YOUR ONLY CHOICE, ANYWAY")

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:24 pm

I remember when trying to register for the LSAT, one of the options was to sign up for the CRS, but I declined, since I can technically apply for it later.

But am I going to have to check my email every single day from now on just in case LSAC decides to send me my score prior to the official release date?? I'm like dying now, because I honestly don't remember a thing about the test.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 9:28 pm

Well, what I've done is download the Firefox app that automatically f5-s the page for you, set that to the LSAT status page on lsac.org, and then just kept it on all day............

Yes I know this is bad for my mental health. With this and waiting for answers from schools later, I'll probably be in the psychotic ward before I set foot in a law school.

hemm

Postby hemm » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:31 pm

I'm trying to start on my PS but all I can think about is my LSAT

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:32 pm

hemm wrote:I'm trying to start on my PS but all I can think about is my LSAT

I think the contents of my PS depends on my LSAT score. You should probably wait a couple of weeks and see how you feel first.

kazu

Postby kazu » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:42 pm

Is anyone writing a diversity statement as well?
PLATONiC wrote:I think the contents of my PS depends on my LSAT score.

Yeah.. me too

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Tue Jul 06, 2010 11:04 pm

kazu wrote:Is anyone writing a diversity statement as well?

Yeah.. me too

The thing about me is that my personal statement will probably read like a diversity statement. I can't include some of the presumably awesome things that I've done because they were outright illegal; awesome, or at least impressive, nonetheless.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:45 am

PLATONiC wrote:The thing about me is that my personal statement will probably read like a diversity statement. I can't include some of the presumably awesome things that I've done because they were outright illegal; awesome, or at least impressive, nonetheless.

That's my problem as well. I think my personal statement will probably read like a diversity statement, but if I use it as a DS I'm not sure how to differentiate my actual PS.

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:57 am

kazu wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:The thing about me is that my personal statement will probably read like a diversity statement. I can't include some of the presumably awesome things that I've done because they were outright illegal; awesome, or at least impressive, nonetheless.

That's my problem as well. I think my personal statement will probably read like a diversity statement, but if I use it as a DS I'm not sure how to differentiate my actual PS.

I'm in the same boat as you guys... maybe it has something to do with us being in Asia lol (it does for me)

To way that I was going to approach it was to use the PS to be more creative in showing my diversity (I'm telling a story with hints of my diversity/what is unique about me) and then, to my understanding, the DS could/should be a little more literal and in the DS you can "tell" them why you add diversity as opposed to the PS where you "show" them.

Thoughts?

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:08 am

neptunestar wrote:
kazu wrote:

I'm in the same boat as you guys... maybe it has something to do with us being in Asia lol (it does for me)

To way that I was going to approach it was to use the PS to be more creative in showing my diversity (I'm telling a story with hints of my diversity/what is unique about me) and then, to my understanding, the DS could/should be a little more literal and in the DS you can "tell" them why you add diversity as opposed to the PS where you "show" them.

Thoughts?

I've spent months exploring something similar to what you presented, but I couldn't overcome the challenge of not appearing redundant. If I present my 'diversity' in a subtle manner, the actual contents of the PS will pretty much be all that matters, so the diversity element of the PS won't have much of an impact, whereas if I allude to my diversity in a direct way, it'll just be straight out reptitive when reading the diversity. But I don't know.. I just need to think more!

I am also worried about trying to diversify my PS given the fact that one of the most challenging life experiences I've had can't be disclosed.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 07, 2010 8:56 am

Christ, WHEN WILL THIS TORTURE STOP??? HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE TO SCORE FREAKING SCANTRONS????

I just want to know already.

Nulli Secundus

Postby Nulli Secundus » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:01 am

Your avatar fits you perfectly. Less hysteria plx.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jul 07, 2010 9:04 am

nullisecundus wrote:Your avatar fits you perfectly. Less hysteria plx.

Waiting threads exist so that people waiting for their scores can share their hysteria, while keeping it confined to one thread.

If you don't want to see it, stay out.

FutureApplicant

Postby FutureApplicant » Wed Jul 07, 2010 10:18 am

kazu wrote:Christ, WHEN WILL THIS TORTURE STOP??? HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE TO SCORE FREAKING SCANTRONS????

I know the feeling.

After all the days of debating whether or not to cancel, it's just starting to hit me that I really am going to find out how I actually did--no more guessing and speculating about missed bubbles and missed guesses.

Justiceinbrothel

Postby Justiceinbrothel » Thu Jul 08, 2010 12:36 am

FutureApplicant wrote:
PLATONiC wrote:There were nearly 200 people at my test center in Seoul, Korea.

I think there were about 100 in Shanghai.

what the fuck is going on in Shanghai?? Winston Churchill once said; "If we ever left Hong Kong it will be run by the goons" And my god it is run by Xiang Xi, Xiang XII, Xiang XIII, Xiang XIV and Jhujutsu Nguyen.

hemm

Postby hemm » Thu Jul 08, 2010 5:50 am

kazu wrote:Christ, WHEN WILL THIS TORTURE STOP??? HOW LONG CAN IT TAKE TO SCORE FREAKING SCANTRONS????

It's not even an hysteria for me, it's more of just a daze....it's hard to concentrate on stuff like what to have for dinner. I need to relax.

applepiecrust

Postby applepiecrust » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:00 am

PLATONiC wrote: I am also worried about trying to diversify my PS given the fact that one of the most challenging life experiences I've had can't be disclosed.

I can't think of what kind of experience you could've possibly had that can't be disclosed - committing a crime because you were in a tough position? I know someone who wrote about their experiences as an undocumented immigrant (so techincally, breaking the law) and they actually got into much better places than their numbers might've indicated. Also, would not disclosing it also make taking the bar exam more difficult?

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Thu Jul 08, 2010 8:00 pm

applepiecrust wrote:
PLATONiC wrote: I am also worried about trying to diversify my PS given the fact that one of the most challenging life experiences I've had can't be disclosed.

I can't think of what kind of experience you could've possibly had that can't be disclosed - committing a crime because you were in a tough position? I know someone who wrote about their experiences as an undocumented immigrant (so techincally, breaking the law) and they actually got into much better places than their numbers might've indicated. Also, would not disclosing it also make taking the bar exam more difficult?

I have a feeling that the C&F committee will kick my ass for working full-time under the table throughout my undergraduate education. I literally worked 43+ hours a week during the semester, and 70 hours during the summer just to get by. I went from waiting tables, cooking Chinese food, to even managing a Chinese restaurant. There was so much fucking drama within the workplace; the physical labor was nothing in comparison to the psychological stress that the people put me through. The saddest thing of it all was that I had no choice but to go through with it instead of trying to find a job that would also give me that much hours as soon as I came on board - or else, I wouldn't be able to make ends meet.

neptunestar

Postby neptunestar » Fri Jul 09, 2010 12:46 am

Yeah.. me too

Why would your PS depend on your LSAT score...

edinbourgh

Postby edinbourgh » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:16 am

Hi guys, I've been meaning to join the thread for a while.
I looked at the calendar and realized that we've got a week or so left now before scores are out. What's everyone doing to try to stay sane? I haven't looked at any law school or lsat material since the test, and I don't think I can work on anything for applications until I know where I stand score-wise.

PLATONiC

Postby PLATONiC » Fri Jul 09, 2010 2:51 am

neptunestar wrote:

Yeah.. me too

I don't think I'd be psychologically equipped to brag about myself as an individual on my PS if I had a subpar LSAT score that I know for a fact that I was able to beat many many times during perfectly simulated PTs.

kazu

Postby kazu » Fri Jul 09, 2010 5:05 am

neptunestar wrote:

Yeah.. me too

I need to know what my target/reach/safety schools are first, so I can figure out if I want to tailor any of my PSs specifically, see if they accept a DS, decide whether or not the DS, etc...

yurishima

Postby yurishima » Sat Jul 10, 2010 5:01 am

We're nearing the home stretch, right?!?! I can't focus on anything except for the impending moment of truth!

FutureApplicant

Postby FutureApplicant » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:05 am

yurishima wrote:We're nearing the home stretch, right?!?! I can't focus on anything except for the impending moment of truth!

Honestly, I wish no one had mentioned that scores can sometimes be sent out early. I'd be in better shape if I just knew I had to wait until some time during the day of July 16th. Now I don't even know which day to count down to.

In terms of staying sane: new job for the summer, no apartment for the summer, personal statement worries, and as much Mandarin studying as I can squeeze in are all helping to pass the time.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”