Retake for a chance at Berkeley?

gothamist01

Retake for a chance at Berkeley?

Postby gothamist01 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:46 am

I am a reverse splitter. I have a 3.75 GPA with great softs (undergrad grants/honors, 5 years work experience in a unique field, published writing, etc).

On my LSAT practice tests, which I've been doing since September 2009 (so much so that I have done many twice), I have been scoring in the 172 to 178 range. I was a philosophy major, which normally puts me at ease with logic and argumentation.

Thing is, I have had an extremely difficult time with LSAT anxiety. I attempted the December 2009 LSAT, to apply to school schools in the last cycle, but had to leave and cancel due to a severe panic attack.

Then, this June, I was finally able to sit through a test, but scored a 162. I was shocked at the score, mostly, because I could not for the life of me remember a single thing that occurred during the 5 hours of a test.

I have no history of problems with standardized tests (1460 on my SAT), but I'm feeling a lot of pressure here. I'm female, 27 years old, and feel as if now is basically it for me since I want to have a family, too. My anxiety may be eased by therapy, but the fact of the matter is I've been going at this for almost a year, it's hurting my performance at work, and I'm so utterly exhausted.

I'm wondering how, or if, to present this to admissions committees. I'm also wondering if a retake is worth it, given what's at stake. Berkeley is my top choice school and in theory I'll do absolutely anything to get in, but I wonder if they'll look fondly on a 162 and then, say, a 165 or 167 (I have to be realistic here, my performance on test days in the past have been awful). I've already signed up for an October retake. I can do better, but at this point I feel traumatized.

Help, please.

KMaine

Re: Retake for a chance at Berkeley?

Postby KMaine » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:20 am

First, I think that you need to retake. Maybe the therepy you mention will be of some help. You will need to find a way to come to grips with your test anxiety before LS, though. I don't recall exactly how stressed I was for the LSAT, but I know I was much more stressed for Law School exams. If your PT's are as high as you say, you should not give up on your dream school (though I don't think it is possible with your score, and I think it is a REALLY bad idea to write an letter to Berk about test anxiety). Find some way to relax or use your nervousness to your advantage (I know, easier said than done).

gothamist01

Postby gothamist01 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:18 pm

Thanks for that. I do tend to hear the 'you thought the LSAT was bad, just wait' reply from lawyers, though as I mentioned I had no problem with tests before the LSAT. My fear of the test, I believe, hinges on my feeling that I can't wait any longer to get into law school.

But who knows. As for my question about 'presenting' to Berkeley, I was thinking more on the lines of, how do I explain such a substantial gap between two LSAT scores? That is, of course, if I manage to go higher next time.
Last edited by gothamist01 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gothamist01

Postby gothamist01 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:20 pm

Oy, sorry, higher not hire. My mind is already 4 years ahead.

im_blue

Postby im_blue » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:53 pm

Your GPA is well below their median of 3.83, so I'd say you want to have a 168+ for a shot at Berkeley, especially if you have no game-changing softs.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”