I scored a 146.

User avatar
kaydish21
Posts: 300
Joined: Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby kaydish21 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:42 am

Above poster has it right, my favorite was the "I've already excepted that" line.

To the OP, we could help more if we had more information. How did you prepare for the test, how long did you study, urm candidate?

I would recommend a LSAT class in any case, but 1 low score does not condemn you to the depths of law school admissions.

miamiman
Posts: 1486
Joined: Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:55 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby miamiman » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:49 am

This test caters primarily to two strengths:

1) Dilligence

2) Raw test-taking ability/high IQ

They aren't mutually exclusive, either.

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:15 am

This thread makes me SICK. Its why I keep telling myself to just stop visiting TLS (yet I keep coming back for more).

OP: I started testing at 143. Its embarassing to admit, but its true. I scored a 155 on the lsat on test day. I am totaly ecstatic. I'm not a great test taker and I never even took the SAT so the lsat was really my frst time prepping for such a big test. As one of the above posters mentioned, use the Pithypike Guide. If you can't afford a prep class, use the Powerscore Bibles, they are great.

Don't get yourself down and don't let this keep you from achieivng your goals. You can do anything you want to do, it just takes a lot of hard work.

User avatar
daesonesb
Posts: 499
Joined: Thu Oct 15, 2009 2:18 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby daesonesb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:24 pm

angiej wrote:This thread makes me SICK. Its why I keep telling myself to just stop visiting TLS (yet I keep coming back for more).

OP: I started testing at 143. Its embarassing to admit, but its true. I scored a 155 on the lsat on test day. I am totaly ecstatic. I'm not a great test taker and I never even took the SAT so the lsat was really my frst time prepping for such a big test. As one of the above posters mentioned, use the Pithypike Guide. If you can't afford a prep class, use the Powerscore Bibles, they are great.

Don't get yourself down and don't let this keep you from achieivng your goals. You can do anything you want to do, it just takes a lot of hard work.


credited

More people on here had original diagnostics in the 140's than you will ever know.

I had one in the 150's and got my score up 10 points in a month with dedicated studying.... You should be able to do that at the least, with hard work, you could end up in the 160's.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:33 pm

To quote GI Joe "knowing is half the battle." The other half in my experience is handling stress and anxiety. The first time I took the test I didn't do very good preparation for the LSAT material but was rather carefree about the test. I got a 161. The second time I studied like crazy and PT'd in the high 160s. However this was in the midst of a lot of tumult and stress in my life and I depended on this test as some sort of glimmer of hope. I put too much pressure on myself and got another 161.

In short I would suggest not only a study program for the test itself, but to make sure your mind is clear so you can execute on test day. Improvement can be done.

User avatar
Merr
Posts: 180
Joined: Wed Apr 21, 2010 11:55 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby Merr » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:35 pm

angiej wrote:This thread makes me SICK. Its why I keep telling myself to just stop visiting TLS (yet I keep coming back for more).

OP: I started testing at 143. Its embarassing to admit, but its true. I scored a 155 on the lsat on test day. I am totaly ecstatic. I'm not a great test taker and I never even took the SAT so the lsat was really my frst time prepping for such a big test. As one of the above posters mentioned, use the Pithypike Guide. If you can't afford a prep class, use the Powerscore Bibles, they are great.

Don't get yourself down and don't let this keep you from achieivng your goals. You can do anything you want to do, it just takes a lot of hard work.


+1 and emphasis on the bold part.

FWIW I started testing at 148 and ended up working up to a 163. It took over a year and a lot of work, but it is doable.

honestabe84
Posts: 491
Joined: Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:47 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby honestabe84 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:36 pm

amyLAchemist wrote:Ok now, no need to be mean about this. I scored a 142 on my diagnostic, doesn't make me an idiot.

OP, retake the LSAT and study hard. Follow the advice that you can find on this forum. It will take a lot of time and effort to bring up that score, trust me.


You went from a 142 to a 168. That's almost unheard of. Well done.

OP - I don't think you should realistically expect this kind of a jump, but it does show that you can boost your score significantly.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:41 pm

billyez wrote:This is the last I'm going to say about this, because I feel this side conversation is detracting from any real, constructive advice that would aid the OP.

If your original post had been saying something akin to what you're saying now - that you need to read critically in LS, talk intelligently, etc. - maybe I wouldn't have responded in the manner I did. But that's not what you said. You belittled the OP, their intelligence, the quality of whatever UG they're attending, and deliberately added nothing that could aid them in their desire to do better. So, I truly believe that you were talking down to them and doing so in a really rude manner. That is all.


Wow, you got into a T-10 with a 160, just wow.

OP, retake. ASU is NOT worth it W/O? Basicaly only the top 1/2 get jobs even in a legit econ. You def won't be top half if that is the best you can do on the LSAT. You need like a 160 for going to make sense, otherwise you may want to consider another career.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:03 pm

I scored a 146 on my LSAT in February. I absolutely froze on LG, knew it, and then bombed the next two sections.

I retook in June and got a 158.

Study hard, relax, and you will be okay.

User avatar
Mickey Quicknumbers
Posts: 2177
Joined: Tue Apr 28, 2009 1:22 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:19 pm

honestabe84 wrote:
amyLAchemist wrote:Ok now, no need to be mean about this. I scored a 142 on my diagnostic, doesn't make me an idiot.

OP, retake the LSAT and study hard. Follow the advice that you can find on this forum. It will take a lot of time and effort to bring up that score, trust me.


You went from a 142 to a 168. That's almost unheard of. Well done.

OP - I don't think you should realistically expect this kind of a jump, but it does show that you can boost your score significantly.


I went from 143 to 168. Ridiculous jumps aren't uncommon with ridiculous amounts of studying.

jhermiz
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby jhermiz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:41 pm

Thanks for all the help! I actually didn't do any studying leading up the exam other than a few practice tests which I scored in the mid-140s. I feel I can do a lot better, but I believe logical reasoning is what is really holding me back. Thanks for all the help!

CanadianWolf
Posts: 10439
Joined: Wed Mar 24, 2010 4:54 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby CanadianWolf » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:05 pm

You might want to consider taking an LSAT prep review course from Princeton Review, Testmasters, PowerScore or Kaplan to help get your score into the high 150s or better. If you cannot afford the full fee ask if that review company offers discounts for those receiving LSAC waivers or in a financial hardship situation.

renee88
Posts: 104
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby renee88 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:28 pm

jhermiz wrote:Thanks for all the help! I actually didn't do any studying leading up the exam other than a few practice tests which I scored in the mid-140s. I feel I can do a lot better, but I believe logical reasoning is what is really holding me back. Thanks for all the help!


If that's all the studying you did, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to do great if you study a lot and retake. I scored a 151 on my diagnostic after a minimal amount of studying, and ended up with a 160. I'm still retaking, but like many others, I made a big jump. And frankly, I didn't study as much as I should have in the first place. Good luck!!

washed out
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:40 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby washed out » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:24 pm

149 first (sept 09)
160 second (dec 09)

User avatar
angiej
Posts: 796
Joined: Wed Oct 29, 2008 8:25 am

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby angiej » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:27 pm

washed out wrote:149 first (sept 09)
160 second (dec 09)


That's fantastic! Please share your prep method - it would help the OP out plus some of us who may be considering a retake. Did you prep before the 149?

User avatar
hotdog123
Posts: 400
Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 11:15 am

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby hotdog123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:28 pm

Best of luck to the OP.

Fuck the retard on the 1st page.

cubswin
Posts: 618
Joined: Mon May 25, 2009 4:40 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby cubswin » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:29 pm

richardfitzwell wrote:
billyez wrote:For crying out loud, I read it right the first time, dude. Since you asked, it was a problem with LG. But with enough practice I raised more score to a reasonable enough score to get into a t10, so I'm afraid I get a little annoyed when peoiple talk down to people about their score when I know through experience that it's entirely possible to do well on this test with enough practice.


im not talking down to anyone. but im telling you in LS you have to be able to think on your feet and be able to talk intelligently. A LOT of ppl cant do this.


Ha.

User avatar
pugalicious
Posts: 190
Joined: Thu Mar 25, 2010 10:52 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby pugalicious » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:31 pm

Veyron wrote:Wow, you got into a T-10 with a 160, just wow.

OP, retake. ASU is NOT worth it W/O? Basicaly only the top 1/2 get jobs even in a legit econ. You def won't be top half if that is the best you can do on the LSAT. You need like a 160 for going to make sense, otherwise you may want to consider another career.


Huh? Why would a 160 make "sense" at ASU? With a 3.3, a 160 MIGHT, just MIGHT get an acceptance - no money, though.

User avatar
FuManChusco
Posts: 1217
Joined: Tue Jan 26, 2010 8:56 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby FuManChusco » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:33 pm

2 pages of the same post. sweet.

User avatar
Veyron
Posts: 3598
Joined: Fri Jan 08, 2010 3:50 am

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby Veyron » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:38 pm

pugalicious wrote:
Veyron wrote:Wow, you got into a T-10 with a 160, just wow.

OP, retake. ASU is NOT worth it W/O? Basicaly only the top 1/2 get jobs even in a legit econ. You def won't be top half if that is the best you can do on the LSAT. You need like a 160 for going to make sense, otherwise you may want to consider another career.


Huh? Why would a 160 make "sense" at ASU? With a 3.3, a 160 MIGHT, just MIGHT get an acceptance - no money, though.


Yah, you are right, 165 more like. Forgot how much it had tightened up. Median used to be like 155. Point about prob not being able to skor top 1/2 if you can't break the 160 mark is intensified.

yo!
Posts: 653
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:11 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby yo! » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:52 pm

Big jumps are definitely doable. I had a 150 diagnostic, and after a few months of studying (not nearly enough since I was working a LOT), I was prep-testing in the high 160s. I took the real thing, freaked the hell out, and only ended up with a 163. I thought long and hard about a retake because I know I could hit 170+ with some serious studying, but I just wasn't willing to wait another year. Okay, I'm rambling, but my point is that the LSAT is definitely learnable with some ahrd work.

User avatar
AVBucks4239
Posts: 870
Joined: Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:37 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby AVBucks4239 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:26 pm

angiej wrote:
washed out wrote:149 first (sept 09)
160 second (dec 09)


That's fantastic! Please share your prep method - it would help the OP out plus some of us who may be considering a retake. Did you prep before the 149?

My first test was a 146. I was studying for probably 30 hours a week and it consumed all my time and energy. I did all of the Bibles twice and did a ton of LG sections. However, I didn't do that many full length PT's, just a lot of practice sections. Also, I didn't go out and drink for 5 weeks before the test.

When I decided to retake, I made a commitment to myself that I would only study 10-12 hours per week so I could go out on the weekends. The LSAT had consumed my academic and social life, and I just didn't feel right on test day.

Other than reduced hours, my biggest study change was lasering in on my weakest section (LG). I was -12 in LG (completely collapsed, long story) so I decided to attack that. I grouped the games from PT's 7-38, organized them by type, then did most of them in about a two week period. My next step was to take full length PT's, and I only did two of them. I got a 158 both times.

On test day, I got a 158. I was only -4 on games, while staying steady in RC and LR1, but really did poorly in LR2. If I had performed like I usually do, my score would be in the low 160's.

I think the biggest key more than anything is to be relaxed. If you think that this test is the end of the world, you are setting yourself up for a huge mental battle come test day. So, between now and October, go out and have some beer, smoke some pot, and keep the LSAT far from your thoughts when you aren't actually studying.
Last edited by AVBucks4239 on Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
MTal
Posts: 854
Joined: Tue Dec 11, 2007 6:47 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby MTal » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:30 pm

Under any type of rational admissions system, your score would prohibit you from attending bartending school, let alone law school.

jhermiz
Posts: 11
Joined: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:28 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby jhermiz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:41 pm

But is a December retake too late in the year to be applying to law school if I plan to attend in the fall?

User avatar
billyez
Posts: 868
Joined: Sun Jun 14, 2009 6:19 pm

Re: I scored a 146.

Postby billyez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:55 pm

It'll hurt you, I'm sure. I was accepted to UVA after applying January with my December score, but I wouldn't advocate following in my footsteps on that one.




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alexandros, berkeleynick, cianchetta0, dontsaywhatyoumean, xtremenite, Yahoo [Bot] and 14 guests