I scored a 146. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
jhermiz

New

I scored a 146.

Post by jhermiz » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:51 am

I scored a 146 on my LSAT and I have a 3.34 GPA. I would like to stay in-state in Arizona and attend Arizona State, but I realize that is a serious reach. I obviously will take the LSAT again in October, but is their any sound advice any of you would recommend?
By the way, I am currently an ASU undergrad and in-state tuition. Thanks!

Moose Thompson

Bronze

Re: I scored a 146.

Post by Moose Thompson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:03 am

Flame.

daesonesb

Bronze

Post by daesonesb » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:03 am

This score will limit you to attending a third or fourth tier school, just FYI.

The retake will be key. Did it require you much studying to get your current score?

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:26 am

jhermiz wrote:I scored a 146 on my LSAT and I have a 3.34 GPA. I would like to stay in-state in Arizona and attend Arizona State, but I realize that is a serious reach. I obviously will take the LSAT again in October, but is their any sound advice any of you would recommend?
By the way, I am currently an ASU undergrad and in-state tuition. Thanks!

ModestExplosion

New

Post by ModestExplosion » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:11 am

I think that it is going to come down to the retake. If you feel as though you really studied hard for this test, than maybe you should try switching up your strategy for the next test. There have to be areas that you are just not understanding on the test. If you can figure them out there is no reason why you wouldn't be able to score 155+ at the very least.

If you do poorly on the retake I think you will need to really consider whether law school is an appropriate fit for you. If it is than try a 3rd or 4th tier school (Phoenix College of Law since you want to stay in AZ) and than try to transfer out. Keep in mind this is a very risky strategy as there is no guarantee that you will be able to transfer out. As a general rule of thumb, the school you attend should be one that you would be okay graduating with a degree from.

Best of luck fellow Sun Devil! :D

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:15 am

How many times have you participated in the special oplymics and lost?

Dont go to law school.

How the fuck do you score a 146? Is your undergrad the U of Pheniox online?

Seriously FLAME.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:20 am

^ Don't be a jerk. Nothing in the OP's posting history points to them being a flame.

I scored a 149 the first time I took it. I can honestly say, as someone who regularly scored in the mid 140's when I first started studying, that there's a strong possibility that you can easily hit 150 to 155 with a lot of studying. How did you study before? Either way, you need to buckle down, buy a bunch of PT's (or...urm, get them through other means, shall we say) and get a feel fo rthe test. You obviously don't have a great grasp of the material yet and the best way to fix that is through practice.
Last edited by billyez on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:22 am

billyez wrote:^Don't be a jerk

I scored a 149 the first time I took it. I can honestly say, as someone who regularly scored in the mid 140's when I first started studying, that there's a strong possibility that you can easily hit 150 to 155 with a lot of studying. How did you study before?

cool.............someday im gonna make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because your a special flower

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:27 am

I scored a 149 the first time I took it. I can honestly say, as someone who regularly scored in the mid 140's when I first started studying, that there's a strong possibility that you can easily hit 150 to 155 with a lot of studying. How did you study before?

Why? Do you have problems with RC? Thats a death sentence in law school. YOU need to be able to read at high level AND UNDERSTAND WHAT U READ.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

richardfitzwell

New

Why? Do you have problems with RC? Thats a death sentence in law school. YOU need to be able to read at high level AND UNDERSTAND WHAT U READ.

richardfitzwell

New

Why?

richardfitzwell

New

Why?

richardfitzwell

New

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

richardfitzwell

New

Why?

richardfitzwell

New

WTF i did not mean to post that many times. sorry i have a bad internet connection where i am.
Last edited by richardfitzwell on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:31 am

For crying out loud, I read it right the first time, dude. Since you asked, it was a problem with LG. But with enough practice I raised more score to a reasonable enough score to get into a t10, so I'm afraid I get a little annoyed when peoiple talk down to people about their score when I know through experience that it's entirely possible to do well on this test with enough practice.

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:34 am

billyez wrote:For crying out loud, I read it right the first time, dude. Since you asked, it was a problem with LG. But with enough practice I raised more score to a reasonable enough score to get into a t10, so I'm afraid I get a little annoyed when peoiple talk down to people about their score when I know through experience that it's entirely possible to do well on this test with enough practice.
im not talking down to anyone. but im telling you in LS you have to be able to think on your feet and be able to talk intelligently. A LOT of ppl cant do this.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:39 am

This is the last I'm going to say about this, because I feel this side conversation is detracting from any real, constructive advice that would aid the OP.

If your original post had been saying something akin to what you're saying now - that you need to read critically in LS, talk intelligently, etc. - maybe I wouldn't have responded in the manner I did. But that's not what you said. You belittled the OP, their intelligence, the quality of whatever UG they're attending, and deliberately added nothing that could aid them in their desire to do better. So, I truly believe that you were talking down to them and doing so in a really rude manner. That is all.
Last edited by billyez on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 am

billyez wrote:This is the last I'm going to say about this, because I feel this side conversation is detracting from any real, constructive advice that would aid the OP.

If you're original post had been saying something akin to what you're saying now - that you need to read critically in LS, talk intelligently, etc. - maybe I would haven't responded in the manner I did. But that's not what you said. You belittled the OP, their intelligence, thee quality of whatever UG they're attending, and deliberately added nothing that could aid them in their desire to do better. So, I truly believe that you were talking down to them and doing so in a really rude manner. That is all.

I saved them $150 K what have you done today? What is 146? 30-40 % percentile? I wasnt meant to be a doctor dude Ive already excepted that..............

richardfitzwell

New

Post by richardfitzwell » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:47 am

billyez wrote:This is the last I'm going to say about this, because I feel this side conversation is detracting from any real, constructive advice that would aid the OP.

If you're original post had been saying something akin to what you're saying now - that you need to read critically in LS, talk intelligently, etc. - maybe I would haven't responded in the manner I did. But that's not what you said. You belittled the OP, their intelligence, thee quality of whatever UG they're attending, and deliberately added nothing that could aid them in their desire to do better. So, I truly believe that you were talking down to them and doing so in a really rude manner. That is all.

I saved them $150 K what have you done today? What is 146? 30-40 % percentile? I wasnt meant to be a doctor dude Ive already excepted that..............

pugalicious

Bronze

Re:

Post by pugalicious » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:04 am

Last edited by pugalicious on Tue Jun 29, 2010 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pugalicious

Bronze

Post by pugalicious » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:06 am

Real advice: retake - you have 2 more shots at the LSAT before applications, right? You'll need mid-160's to get into ASU, and even that may be cutting it a little close. Good luck.

RudeDudewithAttitude

New

Post by RudeDudewithAttitude » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:12 am

richardfitzwell wrote:

cool.............someday im gonna make $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ because your a special flower
YOU ARE an @sshole who can't properly use YOU'RE when trying to put others down.

Mickey Quicknumbers

Gold

Post by Mickey Quicknumbers » Sun Jun 27, 2010 5:21 am

ITT: Richardfitzwell does not improve his reputation

MURPH

Silver

Post by MURPH » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:44 am

OP, sorry about the jerks on TLS.
You can improve but it is hard and might take a long time. Pithypikes guide is very good so read that first.
Also try to look at the big picture. You don't need to retake in October or even go to law school right away. Getting a year or two of work experience after college is a good idea and may be a slight benefit in the application process. Another slight benefit will be getting your application in as early in the admission cycle as possible. You can't really do that this cycle if you retake and you have to retake.
So waiting a year or two to reapply will give you three benefits: a longer time to study, a bit of work experience and a chance to get your app in early. Other benefits are making some money, taking it easy for a while, hanging out with friends, etc.

If you are going to retake you should consider taking a prep course: Testmasters, Powerscore and Blueprint courses all have excellent reputations and cost around $1400. (Kaplan, Get Prepped and Princeton Review are not good) If you take these courses make sure you take full advantage of them. Do every homework assignment, go to every class, do all the practice tests and online extras, etc. Many people sign up for these classes and don't even go to all the classes. Very few take advantage of all that is offered. A private tutor is another option but less expensive and just as much work if you do it right. (I tutored students for a while. I don't do it anymore but PM me if you have questions).

If you are broke and highly motivated try to do a modified self study program. Get together with a few friends (your school's pre law club is a good place to start). Organize a study group that meets on a regular basis. The key word is organize. This isn't a time to get together and hang out. Each member should have an assigned area that they will teach the others. It could be a game or reading comp passage or a question type. They should go over the game (or whatever) in about 30 minutes. They should teach what tyoe of game it is, how to diagram it most efficently, how to spot hidden rules or valid inferences, explain why each answer choice is wrong and why one is correct, etc. With 4 people in your study group giving 30 minute mini lectures that should take about 2 hours. Maybe spend another hour helping each other with "homework." You can split the cost of photocopies. Plan to do all of the available PTs, in order with all of you doing the same PTs at the same time. Agree ahead of time to drop group members who slack off too much.

Keep your spirits up. Think of the LSATs as a game. Millions of people do crossword puzzles or sudoku every single morning. Watch the movie Wordplay (2006). You can improve drastically if you commit to it.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”