I scored a 146. Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
AVBucks4239

Silver

Re: I scored a 146.

Post by AVBucks4239 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:56 pm

jhermiz wrote:But is a December retake too late in the year to be applying to law school if I plan to attend in the fall?
Probably not. The earlier the retake the better, but a December retake won't kill you. Hell, I just took a June retake to get off a waitlist to attend law school next fall.

fenway

Bronze

Post by fenway » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:30 am

billyez wrote:It'll hurt you, I'm sure. I was accepted to UVA after applying January with my December score, but I wouldn't advocate following in my footsteps on that one.

I didn't want to say anything but it keeps getting re-posted. billyez, attaching your story to progress on the LSAT is in a way slightly misleading. Implicitly suggesting the OP is only some few practice tests away from getting into a school like UVA is not accurately projective--if it was race blind admissions your 160/3.0 would have been instant trash can material. I don't mean that maliciously but that's the reality. However, the general advice and support from yourself and others for the OP to keep at it is commendable.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:44 am

jhermiz wrote:I scored a 146 on my LSAT and I have a 3.34 GPA. I would like to stay in-state in Arizona and attend Arizona State, but I realize that is a serious reach. I obviously will take the LSAT again in October, but is their any sound advice any of you would recommend?
By the way, I am currently an ASU undergrad and in-state tuition. Thanks!
Re-take. And if you are Mexican, AI or African-American, 10 points will probably get you in there with a little money.

PDaddy

Gold

Post by PDaddy » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:46 am

fenway wrote:
billyez wrote:It'll hurt you, I'm sure. I was accepted to UVA after applying January with my December score, but I wouldn't advocate following in my footsteps on that one.

I didn't want to say anything but it keeps getting re-posted. billyez, attaching your story to progress on the LSAT is in a way slightly misleading. Implicitly suggesting the OP is only some few practice tests away from getting into a school like UVA is not accurately projective--if it was race blind admissions your 160/3.0 would have been instant trash can material. I don't mean that maliciously but that's the reality. However, the general advice and support from yourself and others for the OP to keep at it is commendable.
If this were a race-blind society, the LSAT would be a different test and URM's would not confront the obstacles that prevent them from performing at their very best. Just keeping it real.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:47 am

PDaddy wrote:
fenway wrote:

If this were a race-blind society, the LSAT would be a different test and URM's would not confront the obstacles that prevent them from performing at their very best. Just keeping it real.
The LSAT is racist? Well I'll be damned.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:53 am

DonnyMost wrote:
PDaddy wrote:
fenway wrote:

The LSAT is racist? Well I'll be damned.
Racism is by definition anything that minorities perform worse at than the majority.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:57 am

MTal wrote:Under any type of rational admissions system, your score would prohibit you from attending bartending school, let alone law school.
So are you saying bartending schools need to raise their entrance standards?

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 12:59 am

DonnyMost wrote: The LSAT is racist? Well I'll be damned.
You are obviously not familiar with Pdaddy. If you can't accept correlation as proof of causation, then you probably will not agree with what he posts.

Gold

Post by 094320 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:04 am

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:06 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
You are obviously not familiar with Pdaddy. If you can't accept correlation as proof of causation, then you probably will not agree with what he posts.
Sarcastic post was sarcastic.

Stringer Bell

Gold

Post by Stringer Bell » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:15 am

DonnyMost wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
My sarcasm detector accurately identified your post. It just seemed like you were about to take the bait without knowing what you were getting into. Sorry if I misunderstood.

hotdog123

Bronze

Post by hotdog123 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:23 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
DonnyMost wrote:
Stringer Bell wrote:
My sarcasm detector accurately identified your post. It just seemed like you were about to take the bait without knowing what you were getting into. Sorry if I misunderstood.
I appreciate the concern, but I think anybody could smell that turd from a mile away. :?

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:28 am

richardfitzwell wrote:
billyez wrote:For crying out loud, I read it right the first time, dude. Since you asked, it was a problem with LG. But with enough practice I raised more score to a reasonable enough score to get into a t10, so I'm afraid I get a little annoyed when peoiple talk down to people about their score when I know through experience that it's entirely possible to do well on this test with enough practice.
im not talking down to anyone. but im telling you in LS you have to be able to think on your feet and be able to talk intelligently. A LOT of ppl cant do this.
Truth.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

MTal

Silver

Post by MTal » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:29 am

Stringer Bell wrote:
MTal wrote:Under any type of rational admissions system, your score would prohibit you from attending bartending school, let alone law school.
So are you saying bartending schools need to raise their entrance standards?
Yes, that is exactly what I am saying.

dresden doll

Platinum

Post by dresden doll » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:40 am

miamiman wrote:This test caters primarily to two strengths:

1) Dilligence

2) Raw test-taking ability/high IQ

They aren't mutually exclusive, either.
And the ability to tune out external distractions.

Those who can do it enjoy an immense advantage.

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:21 am

fenway wrote:

I'm highly aware of the circumstances. But I disagree with your analysis; in no way am I misleading anyone in regards to possible progress on the LSAT. I said that the OP would have to take a great deal of practice tests and buckle down if they wanted to increase their score, and that is the truth - it will take lots of practice tests no matter what skin color they are. No matter what the skin color of the OP is, it's clear that they need to do so.

Anyway, the question asked didn't have to do with the school I was accepted to - it dealt with whether or not sending their application after December would have an effect. It will. I'm also aware of the belief that schools hold URM applications and only beginning accepting them later in the application season that's why I warned the inquirer in this case not to follow my footsteps.
Last edited by billyez on Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

tttlllsss

Bronze

Post by tttlllsss » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:10 am

PDaddy wrote:
Say more about these obstacles.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

billyez

Silver

Post by billyez » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:21 am

For goodness sake, please don't. We all know where such a conversation would lead and it won't be helpful to anyone. Neither is it a relevant point to the the OP's original question.

witorres89

New

Post by witorres89 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:55 am

[Racism is by definition anything that minorities perform worse at than the majority.
no its not http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/racism

For the OP you need to retake the lsat. Study very hard to increase your score but if you can't improve past at least 150 going to law school is a huge mistake. Ultimately to become a lawyer you will have to pass your law school exams and then the bar to even have a chance at employment and if you don't you will have no ability to repay your debt. Studying hard will almost certainly improve your score but if it doesn't law school is out of the question.

washed out

New

Post by washed out » Mon Jun 28, 2010 11:50 am

angiej wrote:
washed out wrote:149 first (sept 09)
160 second (dec 09)
That's fantastic! Please share your prep method - it would help the OP out plus some of us who may be considering a retake. Did you prep before the 149?
Prior to the 149:

I took 1 practice test from start to finish (157), most of the timed practice runs were individual sections, they were more of a struggle
I studied while sitting on my bed, late at night at the end of the day
Didn't get the timing down
Sped through the reviews

Prior to the 160:

I took 4 practice tests from start to finish (154, 158, 159, 165)
I studied in the mornings
Got the timing down
I reviewed better (not really slower, just smarter at picking up patterns and red herrings, natural stuff just by doing it the second time through)
The light came on a little for both RC and LG, this is a part I can't explain well

I had a headache the night before the 149 that affected me on the drive to the test center in the morning but dissolved during the middle of the first section. Take that into consideration. It also was during my last semester when I took 15 hours and worked part-time. But lots of folks have that problem.

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Mon Jun 28, 2010 1:07 pm

TCScrutinizer wrote:
jhermiz wrote:I scored a 146 on my LSAT and I have a 3.34 GPA. I would like to stay in-state in Arizona and attend Arizona State, but I realize that is a serious reach. I obviously will take the LSAT again in October, but is their any sound advice any of you would recommend?

That's terrible.

Just retake the test. It's not the end of the world.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

studebaker07

Bronze

Post by studebaker07 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 12:44 am

Diagnostic: 138

First LSAT attempt in October 2007 - 142
Second LSAT attempt in October 2008 - 158

Highest diagnstic: 164

School attended: T4 with $$$
School that I am transferring into (as of today): Top 40

Don't, I repeat DON'T, let anyone tell you that you cannot get into law school if you have a rough time with the LSAT. Look at the above numbers and I think they speak for themselves: hard work and perserverence pay. I started out wanting to go a particular school (from the very beginning when I first took the LSAT) and had my dreams dashed temporarily. I applied to that school in 2008 with a higher LSAT but was still waitlisted.

Today, nearly 3 years after I started my journey to attain my dream, I have finally achieved it.

Will having a lower LSAT score initially be hard to deal with? Yes and no. Many people think that it is easier to improve on a lower score. It gets harder as you increase your score because the margin for error is so much more slimmer and there are less obvious things you can do to increase your score. All I say is PRACTICE, PRACTICE, PRACTICE. No kidding you, that summer before I took the LSAT for the second time, I lived, eat, slept, and breathed the LSAT. Take a prep-class, by the powerscore bibles, do whatever you have to do. Just don't give up. If you want to go to law school, the hard work will propel you even when you and others feel like you can't go any further.

isaiah6v8

Bronze

Re:

Post by isaiah6v8 » Fri Jul 02, 2010 1:53 am

richardfitzwell wrote:
billyez wrote:This is the last I'm going to say about this, because I feel this side conversation is detracting from any real, constructive advice that would aid the OP.

If you're original post had been saying something akin to what you're saying now - that you need to read critically in LS, talk intelligently, etc. - maybe I would haven't responded in the manner I did. But that's not what you said. You belittled the OP, their intelligence, thee quality of whatever UG they're attending, and deliberately added nothing that could aid them in their desire to do better. So, I truly believe that you were talking down to them and doing so in a really rude manner. That is all.

I saved them $150 K what have you done today? What is 146? 30-40 % percentile? I wasnt meant to be a doctor dude Ive already excepted that..............
I am sorry, i know we got rid of this jackass already, but really? He is going to attack the OP and others when he can't spell Olympics(okay, typo) says your, when he means you're, and then as he finishes attacking someone's RC ability tells us he has excepted his fate, rather than accepted it? Nice work richard, oh yeah, we get your nickname, oh see, that is how you use "your" correctly.

TCScrutinizer

Bronze

Post by TCScrutinizer » Fri Jul 02, 2010 4:13 am

3|ink wrote:
TCScrutinizer wrote:

That's terrible.

Just retake the test. It's not the end of the world.
What's so terrible about our brave men and women in uniform? Are you some sort of communist? Terrorist? French?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”