Is Economist sold in bookstores? Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
wjun15

Bronze

Is Economist sold in bookstores?

Post by wjun15 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:11 pm

Can you find The Economist at a bookstore like Barnes and nobles? Or do you have to subscribe online?

thanks

Sorry for making a new thread, I keep forgetting where I posted, lol...

eandy

Gold

Re: Is Economist sold in bookstores?

Post by eandy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:15 pm

Yes, but don't buy it there. You will pay about six dollars for one issue. Buy it at a website like studentmags to get a good price.

Edit: The Economist sometimes has a 12 issues for 12 dollars deal on their website, slate.com pop ups, or other sites.

wjun15

Bronze

Post by wjun15 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:45 pm

ah thanks..i think ill just buy at bookstore since ill only get max of 2 issues since Im not gonna read it after my LSAT

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:46 pm

I subscribed for a year with some airline miles that were getting ready to expire. Also got the Wall Street Journal, Time, and a bunch of others. (I only had about 30% of the miles I would have needed for an upgrade so not worth using...

blackmamba76

Bronze

Post by blackmamba76 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:49 pm

Just for clarity, I've been seeing on here people talking about reading The Economist for the LSAT, does it really help, and how does it?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Gold

Post by 03121202698008 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 11:56 pm

It doesn't help in the same way the Powerscore bibles do. It's complex and dry material very similar to the LSAT. Many people find that they can become used to reading this kind of stuff and that makes then a little better at RC.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:00 am

blackmamba76 wrote:Just for clarity, I've been seeing on here people talking about reading The Economist for the LSAT, does it really help, and how does it?
IMO, it doesn't help that much at all. Reading two issues is not going to make any meaningful impact. I can see how reading it every week for months could help, but a couple of issues means nothing.
People on TLS like to throw around "wisdom" like "read the economist OMG it helped me like SOOOO MUCH !!!!111!"

It doesn't do anything special. Reading anything written at a decent reading level will work exactly the same.

blackmamba76

Bronze

Post by blackmamba76 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:01 am

blowhard wrote:It doesn't help in the same way the Powerscore bibles do. It's complex and dry material very similar to the LSAT. Many people find that they can become used to reading this kind of stuff and that makes then a little better at RC.
I see what you are saying, 'cause I'm an Economics major and I've found the magazine dry too the few times I've read it. So, would Time and Business Week serve the same purpose, because we get free subscription to Business Week from my undergrad school?

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:21 am

You can get recent, past issues on eBay for cheap.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:25 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:You can get recent, past issues on eBay for cheap.
You can get them at the library for free.

Leeroy Jenkins

Silver

Post by Leeroy Jenkins » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 am

I find the Economist very interesting

redsox

Silver

Post by redsox » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:29 am

wjun15 wrote:ah thanks..i think ill just buy at bookstore since ill only get max of 2 issues since Im not gonna read it after my LSAT
Why only two issues? It's weekly.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:32 am

Leeroy Jenkins wrote:I find the Economist very interesting
This. Sometimes the Special Report is a little long, but it usually has enough headers that I can read what I want of it without missing anything.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

StrictlyLiable

Bronze

Post by StrictlyLiable » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:44 am

eandy wrote:

True, seemed OP wanted to own issues.

glucose101

Bronze

Post by glucose101 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:10 am

StrictlyLiable wrote:
eandy wrote:

I think eandy, based on everything else he also said, was just trying to imply that it's pointless to own 2 issues when you can just go to the library and get the source(s) for free.

eandy

Gold

Post by eandy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:36 am

glucose101 wrote:
StrictlyLiable wrote:
eandy wrote:

I think eandy, based on everything else he also said, was just trying to imply that it's pointless to own 2 issues when you can just go to the library and get the source(s) for free.
Yeah, there is no reason to pay twelve dollars for the privilege of reading two issues(you can get 12 issues for that price!).

3|ink

Platinum

Post by 3|ink » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:02 am

eandy wrote:
blackmamba76 wrote:Just for clarity, I've been seeing on here people talking about reading The Economist for the LSAT, does it really help, and how does it?
IMO, it doesn't help that much at all. Reading two issues is not going to make any meaningful impact. I can see how reading it every week for months could help, but a couple of issues means nothing.
People on TLS like to throw around "wisdom" like "read the economist OMG it helped me like SOOOO MUCH !!!!111!"

It doesn't do anything special. Reading anything written at a decent reading level will work exactly the same.
I think it depends on experience. After I graduated from college with a BA in English, I was sick of reading. I stopped reading extensive passages almost entirely for three years. My job only required skimming because the important information was typically in the same place. Thus, by the time I decided to take the LSAT, my mental discipline was practically zero. Obviously, this would pose a serious problem for anyone trying to take the LSAT (or going to law school for that matter). The best way to overcome this is to read difficult material. I'm not sure about the economist, but reading Adam Smith helped a bit. Now I'm reading Marx, Keynes and Friedman. I'm almost back to my college reading pace.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”