Retake Advice Por Favor!

freddie

Retake Advice Por Favor!

Postby freddie » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:04 pm

First of all, congrats to all the June test takers!

I am considering retaking, and would appreciate advice from the TLS experts. My situation: I got a 170 this June. My PT average was around 174, with a high of 178. I was very sick the day of the exam (virus) and almost all of my mistakes were on my best section (games). I was so busy blowing my nose between sections, I mistakenly did not reset my watch and was totally discombobulated during that section. By my standards, I rocked the other sections. I obtained a doctor's note after the exam, and will offer it to schools should I decide to retake. A 170 is not a bad score by any means, but I do feel I was not testing at my full potential, as a result of being sick.

Part of why I am considering retaking is because I think the other components of my application could help me get into some good schools. My UG GPA is a 4.1 from a tough school. I have a graduate degree from an Ivy, with a 3.9 GPA. I have been working in politics since graduate school, on some interesting projects. I experienced a family tragedy (criminal law related) growing up, which I will highlight in my statements.

I fear that if I retake, I might only get a few points higher. Would this be worth it? Of course, there is also the possibility that my score will go down.

Thanks so much in advance!

WhatSarahSaid

Re: Retake Advice Por Favor!

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Retake. Drink lots of orange juice during the first week of October.

You probably won't need to bother with the doctor's note.

GordonCole

Postby GordonCole » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:13 pm

Re-take it. I think it's a no-brainer. If you're locked-in and not sick you have a great shot at getting a fantastic score. Another 4 points or so is going to open some doors and it's money in the bank. Go for it.

freddie

Postby freddie » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:12 pm

Thanks for the advice, guys.

Could others please weigh in? Another 3 months studying for the LSAT w/ full-time work is a big decision, and I am hoping for more advice.

THANK YOU!

TonyStark123

Postby TonyStark123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:15 pm

If you know you can score more than three points higher than definitely re-take. With your other stats a higher LSAT score could ensure admission to at least some T-6 schools. That being said, I would check school policies on multiple LSAT scores, I actually just started a thread asking if one bad LSAT score would ruin your chances to get into HYS.

northwood

Postby northwood » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:18 pm

since you got a 170. you definately know the material and the test. I would take a break and enjoy some of your time off. When to start prepping depends on the amount of material that you have not used yet. I would say you only need about a month or so to get in gear. If you're worried about losing the info, read the bibles over the summer and do some practice problems. Other than that congrats, stay healthy ( keep up the exercise and a healthy ( or as healthy as you can stand) diet over the summer

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”