Concerns...

Azmatt

Concerns...

Postby Azmatt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:13 pm

Welp I just read some sick thread about some dude being obsessed with the LSAT/studying/blah blah/tears/no life.... :shock:

Sadly, I was kind of jealous. I've had to work about 60 hours a week this summer because of a) corporate panic b) they pay me overtime. Using that opportunity to pay off debt/truck etc etc... in preparation for LS. It's taken me a while, but I'm finishing my UG (did 3 years straight w/ a football scholly then.. injury/stupid decisions)... Anyway, after a 3 year break, I changed my major and got to work. I'm nearly finished. Changed my major and excelled. I'm at a 3.91 GPA and will graduate Summa Cum Laude blah blah vs. the 2.5 gpa I had previously. But, I'm taking an overloaded summer session to do it and 4 classes in fall.

However, after punching all the numbers into the LSAT predictor, I'll be at a 3.01 LSDAS Gpa or something of the sorts. sad panda.

I go to work.. 7-7 come home. study. pass out. repeat. I work weekends too and I live on my own. By the time I'm done taking care of my plce and everything. I have almost no time to study for the LSAT. Can't even really workout consistently. It's sickening.

TL;DR
I was planning on taking the test in October, but will it make that big of a difference if I push it to the December start? or will I need every boost I can get with that horrible GPA.

For what it's worth, I'm around a 160-165 range for my PTs. I'm in dire need of a 170, I just don't know how I'm going to find the time for that. In August, after summer session, things should slow down at work and I should be able to study more, but that would leave me just AUG-October while still taking 4 classes.

By the way, I understand I can't do shit about my previous GPA. But, I am trying to do what I can for Northwestern. LSPredictor says I'm fucked, but... I know what my abilities are. I know what my issues were then and where I am now (I'm 24, nearly 25). It'd be nice to find a t14-t20-t30? school that sees that too and give me a shot, but we'll see..

Hey-O

Re: Concerns...

Postby Hey-O » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:34 pm

Take the test when you feel most prepared. If you don't think you can do it in October then go for December. With a good application and good scores you can get into a good school with a December score.

Whatever you do, October or December, apply in the fall. Send in your applications whether or not you have an LSAT score.

Azmatt

Postby Azmatt » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 pm

Thanks. About 1/4 through the LG bible and I'll plan on picking up the reasoning one as well. So, we'll see...

:roll: I've spent enough time dicking around, so I'm hoping I wouldn't have to wait for the next cycle. I'm going to go ahead and get about 30-40 apps sent out before the Oct. LSAT.

Hey-O wrote:Take the test when you feel most prepared. If you don't think you can do it in October then go for December. With a good application and good scores you can get into a good school with a December score.

Whatever you do, October or December, apply in the fall. Send in your applications whether or not you have an LSAT score.

Claudius

Postby Claudius » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:31 pm

I was in a similar situation as you. I only officially work 40 hours a week, but I'm on call 24/7 and that policy is frequently abused to cater to the slightest executive whims. I'm also married and have a wife that wasn't really interested in being an LSAT widow.

I think that you have enough time to reach your goal. I studied for a year, but I didn't really go into 'lockdown' mode until March. I took this most recent June test. I was scoring similar to you this early and ended up with a 170 on the final test. I took one PT a week and spent roughly one hour a day the rest of the week going over my (primarily wrong) answers for that test. One month before the test I began doing 2 tests a week.

As already mentioned, take it when you feel most prepared, but commit to it in your head so you don't half ass it thinking that you can always push it off. I originally planned on December which quickly pushed to February and then finally June when I put my foot down.

goawaybee

Postby goawaybee » Sat Jun 26, 2010 4:59 pm

Well IMHO there are a few things to consider.

October helps you get in motion a bit earlier. I am not all up on the whole dates game but I would feel that due to feb. being almost too far out to help in regards to GPA/LSAT WL's at some schools it might not be totally logical depending on if you are shooting for 2011 or willing to wait a bit. Sitting for oct. exam you give yourself a chance to get things sorted out earlier and position yourself for a retest in Dec.

If you are cool under pressure def. wait until you are ready. Could register for oct. then push it back if you aren't feeling confident. But like others have said, feeling confident is key. I don't think now is the best time to pull that trigger. Maybe act/plan for oct. and then see how you feel in sept. push back if you feel the need. If you apply to much pressure I think many people seem to eat the poop come show time. I am one of those. At 31 yrs of age and the amt. of sh*t I have eaten in my life I didn't think i would fold. Lesson learned.

go with your gut but I def. feel having back ups for back ups is the way to approach life.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”