Where Will You Be Applying With Your New Numbers

Dany

Re: Where Will You Be Applying With Your New Numbers

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:26 pm

ibdancin wrote:Wow, hopefully someone can tell me if I'm crazy for the schools I'm looking at. I'm starting to doubt myself since some of you have such great numbers and aren't applying to some of these schools:

Never doubt your preferences simply because somebody else isn't applying to a school. Law school is such a personal decision, and many people have completely different criteria for where they'll apply. Your list would never work for me, because I want to be in a big city more than anything, and do not care to be in Cali. Vice versa, you probably wouldn't think my list of schools is great. It's all relative to what you want. I think your list looks pretty good, but I'd try and solicit fee waivers from the rest of the T14, if possible. If you get some, it can't hurt to apply to places that you haven't considered yet, because $12 is worth it for a school that might a) be somewhere you end up loving and didn't realize it, or b) be useful to leverage scholarships out of one of your top choices. Good luck!

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:44 pm

164/3.3

Ohio State (it's pretty much this or nothing for me)

but, I'll probably apply to some others anyway...
Wisconsin
Indiana-Bloomington
UIUC
then maybe Case or Cinci

still may retake the LSAT in October, we'll see...

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:53 pm

lifestooquick wrote:164/3.3

Wisconsin
Indiana-Bloomington
UIUC
then maybe Case or Cinci

There aren't a whole lot of data points, but it looks like Ohio State may have a wall at 164+ ( http://osu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=0910 ) so I'd say you're looking good. If you wanted to secure it, why not apply ED?

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:56 pm

for ED with a 165 and 3.9 is michigain a HUGE reach or just a reach at that point? how about UVA?

WhatSarahSaid

Postby WhatSarahSaid » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:01 pm

crossingforHYS wrote:for ED with a 165 and 3.9 is michigain a HUGE reach or just a reach at that point? how about UVA?

I'd still call Michigan a pretty huge reach. Virginia is a little less of a reach, as 165 was right at their 25th percentile LSAT for the last cycle. You're a splitter, but the ED might give you the edge.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:10 pm

WhatSarahSaid wrote:
crossingforHYS wrote:for ED with a 165 and 3.9 is michigain a HUGE reach or just a reach at that point? how about UVA?

I'd still call Michigan a pretty huge reach. Virginia is a little less of a reach, as 165 was right at their 25th percentile LSAT for the last cycle. You're a splitter, but the ED might give you the edge.

Thanks for the reply! I might just do ED virginia then...you never know right? I'm retaking the exam but I want to go to a t-14 so this might be a good option no matter what...

cinefile 17

Postby cinefile 17 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:13 pm

ibdancin wrote:Wow, hopefully someone can tell me if I'm crazy for the schools I'm looking at. I'm starting to doubt myself since some of you have such great numbers and aren't applying to some of these schools:

171, 3.75
Stanford (super reach, but I wanna try)
Michigan
Virginia (I think this is my goal right now)
Georgetown
Duke
Vanderbilt
UCLA

Are these realistic/where I should be applying or not really? Of course I'll have my in-state safety schools (Arizona State, and U of Arizona), but I'm hoping for something in these 7 above....

Good list, but you should definitely add Berkeley to the list. I think you'd have a decent shot.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:15 pm

eskimo wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:164/3.3

Wisconsin
Indiana-Bloomington
UIUC
then maybe Case or Cinci

There aren't a whole lot of data points, but it looks like Ohio State may have a wall at 164+ ( http://osu.lawschoolnumbers.com/stats/?whichCycle=0910 ) so I'd say you're looking good. If you wanted to secure it, why not apply ED?

Yeah, I noticed that wall of green on LSN at 164. I'm definitely going to be applying ED to Ohio State, so hopefully that will work out for me. And I have every intention of getting my application in as soon as I possibly can once it's opened up :)

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:50 pm

161/3.77

NOWHERE! ABSOLUTELY NOWHERE!!!! STUPID!!!!!!!! I'M SO STUPID!!!!!!!

pjo

Postby pjo » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:03 pm

3.94, 162. I would love to hear ppls thoughts on my list. I know most of these schools I don't have a really good chance but I'd be so happy to go to any one of the first 8 on the list. Really, I only need one acceptance (hopefully GWU if I can't pull the UVA long shot)

UVA ED
GWU
ND
BC
BU
WUSTL
W&M
Wake Forest

Target/Safety
GMU
American
Pitt

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:06 pm

Cooley

paralegal

Postby paralegal » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:35 pm

rklafehn wrote:Does ED slightly or significantly improve your chances of being accepted?

For example, if I ED to Penn or NYU would my chances of being accepted increase?

(168 3.92)

EDIT: This cycle 168 LSAT and 3.9 GPA were typically "in" at NYU applying ED. With these numbers applying ED to NYU will be your best shot at an acceptance.

Penn - ED (best shot) RD (maybe)

Yes, your chances of an acceptance to either of these schools applying ED increases....

remember, however, that applying ED usually decreases your odds at a scholarship.....not always....but typically...
Last edited by paralegal on Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kretzy

Postby Kretzy » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:39 pm

paralegal wrote:
rklafehn wrote:Does ED slightly or significantly improve your chances of being accepted?

For example, if I ED to Penn or NYU would my chances of being accepted increase?

(168 3.92)

This cycle 168 LSAT and 3.9 GPA were typically "in" at NYU applying ED. With these numbers you absolutely have to apply ED to NYU.

Penn - ED (best shot) RD (maybe)

Yes, your chances of an acceptance to either of these schools applying ED increases....

remember though applying ED usually decreases your odds at a scholarship.....not always....but typically...

The bolded isn't right. 3.9/168 is actually on the low-end of a "possible" acceptance to NYU RD. Ask folks like Tintin.

169/3.9 is almost always In or a WL.

I'll agree that ED is a good call here if the poster REALLY wants NYU, but it's not required.

Badger

Postby Badger » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:46 pm

Hey Guys,
I just got my score back and I'm looking at a 163 (2nd test..was in the mid 150's..1st time). My GPA is 3.61 from a big UG. Decent softs...nothing incredible. I just graduated and plan on staying in the Midwest. My last cycle I applied to...

Minn
Iowa
WUSTL
UW-Madison
UI-B
Illinois
Marquette

- No luck except from Marquette and being waitlisted at Iowa and WUSTL (I expected a rough cycle). I'm just wondering what people's thoughts are on my chances at these schools for cycle #2? I'm hoping to get in to UW or Minn (save some cash), b/c I doubt I'll be seeing money from anyone. Also, is there any other reaches in the Midwest worth considering? All I see are Mich, Chicago, Northwestern and as much as I would like a Michigan or Northwestern, I don't think they are worth applying to.

All in all, I just hope someone will tell me I'll get in to one of these schools so I can burn all of my LSAT prep books :D

Thanks

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:07 am

3.5ish, 177. I am not interested in going to law school in NYC, Chicago, or California.

My list:

Penn
Michigan
UVA
Cornell
Vanderbilt
Wash U
Minnesota
Notre Dame
BC

Possibly a few others -- Duke, GULC, GW, W&M if I decide I need an additional safety, BU? All possibilities.

At this point, Michigan looks like my first choice, although UVA might give it a run for its money. I would be excited to attend any of the ones above, though.

mahalo109

Postby mahalo109 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:08 am

Badger wrote:All in all, I just hope someone will tell me I'll get in to one of these schools so I can burn all of my LSAT prep books :D

Thanks

I'd say you can burn them all. 160s is a whole different world than 150s and if your score went up that much in the retake, there's a chance that if you took it again it'd stay the same or even go down.
Good luck with your apps, I think you'll do just fine with those schools and the new score.

mahalo109

Postby mahalo109 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:11 am

I don't think I have a numbers twin, but I'd be really excited if they were out there:
3.09/174.....don't really know what to do with that spread.

I'm in chicago, applying to:
DePaul
Loyola
Kent (PT)
Northwestern (reach)

Also for fun:
UMichigan

maxm2764

Postby maxm2764 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:26 am

Alright I'll throw my hat in. I'd put this in the "What are my chances?" thread but I don't want to hear "retake" and "go to LSP" the whole time. My numbers are 3.5/158 and I'm definitely applying to:

University of Houston
STCL
Denver
Miami
Loyola Marymount
Loyola Chicago
University of San Francisco
San Diego
Temple

I'm from Houston so I'd love to go to U of H. I am a URM and I also did a month long summer pre-law program at the U of H law school. I've also received a LOR from the professor of that program so I'm hoping that I've got some things leaning in my favor. Sorry for the long post but I'm definitely willing to hear any responses you fellow June LSATers may have. I'm just ecstatic that I won't be taking that damn LSAT again, woohoo!

budafied

Postby budafied » Sun Jun 27, 2010 9:49 am

I'll give it a go...

3.59; 154 (June 2008); 167 (June 2010)

I may want to work in Pittsburgh in the long run, but I'm also open to anything with national reach and as many options as possible, because I don't want to 'trap' myself regionally.

Reaches:
Berkeley
Chicago

Duke / Penn / UVA / Mich / Cornell = sorta between reach and target ... chances are slim I think, but realistic.

Targets:
Notre Dame
WUSTL
Vanderbilt
George Mason

Safety:
Pitt
Villanova

RonandRand2012

Postby RonandRand2012 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 10:07 am

YHSCCNBMP, maybe Cornell

Does that sound right? Am I lacking in safeties?

ilovemulch

Postby ilovemulch » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:24 pm

RonandRand2012 wrote:172

YHSCCNBMP, maybe Cornell

I think Cornell is a safety for you...I hesitate calling BMP "safesties" in the vast majority of cases but I'd say it is VERY likely you will get into all of these. If you wanted, you could throw in 1 or 2 more in the level of like GW or BU just to be extra extra safe (can't hurt, you'll probably be able to apply for free, right?)

How does that work? Which schools waive application fees and for what types of scores? What would we have to do to trigger these "application invitations"?

Patriot1208

Postby Patriot1208 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:29 pm

RonandRand2012 wrote:172

YHSCCNBMP, maybe Cornell

You should get into multiple of those, so it really depends on you, if you want to be safe you can apply to lower t14 or if you are from a small market you could apply to the school there if thats something your interested in. But it would be shocking to not get into at least two of bmp and at least one of ccn.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:44 pm

mahalo109 wrote:I don't think I have a numbers twin, but I'd be really excited if they were out there:
3.09/174.....don't really know what to do with that spread.

I'm in chicago, applying to:
DePaul
Loyola
Kent (PT)
Northwestern (reach)

Also for fun:
UMichigan

Have any work experience? If so you would have a VERY good chance at Northwestern ED. With those numbers I also feel that you are shooting too low. My advice is not to get hung up on location and blanket the T14 and other schools that feed into Chicago and see where you get your best offer.

wadeny

Postby wadeny » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:12 pm

pjo wrote:3.94, 162. I would love to hear ppls thoughts on my list. I know most of these schools I don't have a really good chance but I'd be so happy to go to any one of the first 8 on the list. Really, I only need one acceptance (hopefully GWU if I can't pull the UVA long shot)

UVA ED
GWU
ND
BC
BU
WUSTL
W&M
Wake Forest

Target/Safety
GMU
American
Pitt

Are you a VA resident? If so, UVA ED is not as much a long shot as you might think and W&M looks pretty good as well. If not, I would say UVA is likely a WL (fwiw, I applied with similar #s a couple cycles ago and ended up on the WL for months before getting rejected).

I would also really consider adding more targets and safeties. I mean, you technically have a chance at all these schools, but reverse splitters aren't usually treated too kindly in the T30, let alone the T20. You would probably be paying sticker as well, so take that into account where you decide to apply.

TonyStark123

Postby TonyStark123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 8:15 pm

I will shake things up with some Canadian schools (I am Canadian.)

With a 3.92/160 currently, but I am seriously considering a re-write in October:

University of Calgary
University of Victoria
University of British Columbia
Dalhousie University

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”