Retaking October Thread

Señor Scotty

Re: Retaking October Thread

Postby Señor Scotty » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:12 pm

My preptests leading up to the June administration were all in the 167-172 range. The actual test fell on Monday of finals week -- I had an exam the in the morning before the LSAT, and I didn't get much sleep. I ended up with a 165. I guess I know what I'll be doing this summer.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:22 pm

3|ink wrote:
Chimica wrote:It's official.

I just ordered the LGB (because I wasn't smart enough to get the LG on my own -7 sorta sucked when I had averaged -3 on the last 20 LG, but this time I'm aiming for -1/0 and in 30 minutes. If I'm good enough, the nerves won't matter)

And I signed up.

Same here. I averaged -2 on games in PTs and I missed 9 in June. WTF?

In my case, it was nerves. I can barely function during the last 5 minutes of the LG (was a problem during practise, then it went away-but it came back) because I'm trying to think "If A before F, then G after C and therefore Mr Brown wears the green hat and goes 6th". Instead I think "If A before !!OMG I HAVE 5 MINUTES LEFT!! F, then G !!!OMG AND 6 QUESTIONS!!!!, then G !!!AHHHHHHHH!!!!, then G after C !!!!THAT's LESS THAN A MINUTE PER QUESTION!!!! goddam hats!"

I also have not written an exam in years. I used to be excellent at it and I thought the adrenaline would help me. I was wrong.

In the good news front, the university I am interested in just takes the top score.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:28 pm

kesexton wrote:Get this... 162 on the June 2010 LSAT. Just took my first PT and haven't looked at it in over a month and got a 172. Fuck my life.

Atleast it wasn't a 152? I know you're frustrated, but you can do it and will, if you keep it up, in October. :D

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:36 pm

alicrimson wrote:
kesexton wrote:Get this... 162 on the June 2010 LSAT. Just took my first PT and haven't looked at it in over a month and got a 172. Fuck my life.

Atleast it wasn't a 152? I know you're frustrated, but you can do it and will, if you keep it up, in October. :D

That's the plan. Will be scoring a 180 in October.

jacosam

Postby jacosam » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:46 pm

That's how I feel too. Was timing an issue for you? That was what killed me, though it hadn't really been an issue on any of my PTs. I ran out of time on every single section.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:49 pm

jacosam wrote:

That's how I feel too. Was timing an issue for you? That was what killed me, though it hadn't really been an issue on any of my PTs. I ran out of time on every single section.

I think my nerves got to me. I missed -8 on LG and hadn't that bad since my initial diag. I was planning on not retaking if I got a 167 or 168 and higher, but I think it might be a good thing that I did so poorly. I don't think I'm going to stop until I'm consistently scoring 175+.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:54 pm

kesexton wrote:
jacosam wrote:

I think my nerves got to me. I missed -8 on LG and hadn't that bad since my initial diag. I was planning on not retaking if I got a 167 or 168 and higher, but I think it might be a good thing that I did so poorly. I don't think I'm going to stop until I'm consistently scoring 175+.

Remember that there are only so many prep tests out there. Pace yourself. You don't want to run out of material a month before the test. I'm not even touching another P-Test for another month. I plan to fill the gap with reading the bibles and practicing reading comprehension.

jacosam

Postby jacosam » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:56 pm

kesexton wrote:
jacosam wrote:

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. I usually miss 0 or 1 on LG and this time I missed 6. Missed 5 on RC, which is usually my best section. I told myself I would retake if I got anything less than 168, and I got a 167. I totally agree that getting a slightly lower than desired score isn't a completely bad scenario. The ideal situation would've been a 175+, or at least my PT average (173), but at least now I know for sure that I want to retake it, and I know I can do much better now that I've been through it all once. If I end up with a 175 or higher, that'll be a lot better than getting a 170 on the June test and not retaking.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:57 pm

3|ink wrote:
kesexton wrote:
jacosam wrote:

Remember that there are only so many prep tests out there. Pace yourself. You don't want to run out of material a month before the test.

With 60 PTs, most of which I don't remember whatsoever, and 102 days until the test, I plan on get the LRB and working through that. Then with 59 PTs left, most of which I don't remember, I'm sure I'll have plenty of material as long as I don't PT every day. But yes you are right.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Mon Jun 28, 2010 4:59 pm

jacosam wrote:
kesexton wrote:
jacosam wrote:

Yeah, I'm in a similar situation. I usually miss 0 or 1 on LG and this time I missed 6. Missed 5 on RC, which is usually my best section. I told myself I would retake if I got anything less than 168, and I got a 167. I totally agree that getting a slightly lower than desired score isn't a completely bad scenario. The ideal situation would've been a 175+, or at least my PT average (173), but at least now I know for sure that I want to retake it, and I know I can do much better now that I've been through it all once. If I end up with a 175 or higher, that'll be a lot better than getting a 170 on the June test and not retaking.

Agreed. Except I've never had a perfect RC or LR section. I feel like if I could consistently be scoring -1/-0 on LR I would feel a lot better. RC is by far my worst section, and from my experience so far I haven't made much improvement. Hopefully it will come. Has anyone actually tried the RCB by any chance?

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:02 pm

kesexton wrote:
jacosam wrote:

agreed! i got consistent -0/-2 on LG...come test day -5! wtf is that?! my plan this oct is to NOT tell my friends/family when the test is to aviod the hundreds of texts/emails/messages wishing me luck and offering advice on how to "own that test"

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:02 pm

kesexton wrote:With 60 PTs, most of which I don't remember whatsoever, and 102 days until the test, I plan on get the LRB and working through that. Then with 59 PTs left, most of which I don't remember, I'm sure I'll have plenty of material as long as I don't PT every day. But yes you are right.

How does one acquire PTs? Is there a website where you can buy/download them?

jacosam

Postby jacosam » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:06 pm

3|ink wrote:
kesexton wrote:With 60 PTs, most of which I don't remember whatsoever, and 102 days until the test, I plan on get the LRB and working through that. Then with 59 PTs left, most of which I don't remember, I'm sure I'll have plenty of material as long as I don't PT every day. But yes you are right.

I bought them from the LSAC website. I've also seen a couple at Barnes & Noble, but they don't have all of them.

lastch2

Postby lastch2 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:07 pm

3|ink wrote:

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/ but they're pricey. i suggest amazon

icanhaz2ndchance

Postby icanhaz2ndchance » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

jacosam wrote:
3|ink wrote:

I bought them from the LSAC website. I've also seen a couple at Barnes & Noble, but they don't have all of them.

I'm pretty sure Amazon sells most, if not all, of them. Just search LSAT prep test.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:08 pm

3|ink wrote:

cambridge LSAT has them all (I think).

I like downloading the pdf's. I bought some books and it was so much boring photocopying.

They also have all the difficult questions sorted.

http://www.cambridgelsat.com/

The only annoying thing was when I was buying a bunch of the LG (but not all) and it took forever to click through and purchase them seperately.

dawb

Postby dawb » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:21 pm

I did pts 53-59 and the superprep 3 before the june exam, but i also want to use them in my prep for the oct retake, and im wondering whether the fact that i took the tests previously will artificially increase my score even though I have no recollection of any specific question on the tests

lmi

Postby lmi » Mon Jun 28, 2010 5:36 pm

icanhaz2ndchance wrote:
jacosam wrote:
3|ink wrote:

I'm pretty sure Amazon sells most, if not all, of them. Just search LSAT prep test.

I would strongly suggest amazon...they have a 4 for 3 promotion available for them, which means for every 3 you buy, you get one free. I bought all of their available tests at one time and saved a bunch. Plus, you'll get free shipping, which is nice.

Saltqjibo

Postby Saltqjibo » Mon Jun 28, 2010 6:01 pm

Hey Knock I haven't read this whole thread, but can I offer a bit of advice? I followed your other thread and I think you got a 171 correct? First, that's a damn good score. Second, I followed your study schedule and was sure you would do great. My PTs tended to hover a few points lower than yours (though I hit my average of 175 on test day) even though I thought I was screwed (didn't sleep, had to pee like a racehorse all through the test, almost had a panic attack). My point is, I seriously believe that once you get into that mid and upper 170s zone, your test day score is just gonna be a bit of a crap shoot. So don't kill yourself studying for this one man, just keep fresh and the luck of the dice will probably be with you next time. Good luck!

Rikkugrrl

Postby Rikkugrrl » Mon Jun 28, 2010 9:47 pm

Just bought 10 more PTs...having fantasies about forgetting about law school and opening up a cupcake shop. There aren't any cupcakeries in my hometown...hmm...nah I've just been watching too much Cake Boss ;).

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Mon Jun 28, 2010 10:15 pm

Yeah the PT's are expensive but they are a drop in the bucket the way I see them compared to getting a better LSAT score and more money straight out of law school. But what sucks about the cambridge ones is that you have to spend all that money on ink and paper printing them out, as well as purchasing the actual test.

With a great GPA I see no point in wasting it on a school below T30. Improving the 161 will hopefully push me over the top with the T15 schools and below and might get me a shot at Boalt Law. I panicked after games, but only missed 2 which irks me that I did so badly on the rest of the test.

I bought the bibles this time around - hoping they will help. I tried blueprint for June, and it worked fairly well but I'm still weak on RC a bit and 4 question types on LR. I don't think it helped in June that I was still in undergrad and trying to graduate, do my senior thesis, and study for the LSAT, while working 15-20 hours a week. This summer I'm only going to be working part time so I will have way more time to study, I hope. I did study a lot but I think I was also stressed out on the actual day of the test by everything else that was going on. It was finals week for my school as well.

I found this forum right before the June LSAT. I think the advice on here is quite sound in terms of the LSAT so I'm trying it this way this time around. Will post PT results in here.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:42 pm

FMLLLL I just got my LSAC GPA. I was hoping for a 3.4, but alas... 3.27. Damn science classes that I thought were 3 credits were actually 4. :evil:

Goodbye, NYU dreams. Hello BC reality. I guess I should still retake just to make sure I have a good shot there. :cry:

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Tue Jun 29, 2010 9:45 pm

Decided to retake in October as matter of pride.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:24 pm

I looked over my score sheet again and realised I'd misread

I thought I had LG -7, LR -7, and RC -3.

It was LG -7, LR -5, and RC -5.

My LR is fine (by my standards-I'm good with a -2/-3) and my RC is a matter of speed (all questions missed on the last two sections, pretty typical). I'm not sure how much I can improve the speed, but I think it's easier to improve speed than understanding.

LG will be destroyed by next time. If I don't get -0 in October, heads will roll.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Tue Jun 29, 2010 10:46 pm

Decided to attempt not to worry or think about the October retake for the next few months. I know the material; just that stress and anxiety got me. Going to try to enjoy this summer and hope all the stressors will be washed away by actually having fun for a change, then enter LSAT study with a clear and optimistic mind.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”