Retaking October Thread

BigA

Re: Retaking October Thread

Postby BigA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:15 pm

Thanks for that really helpful post, fastforward. With RC, would you even recommend re-doing RC passages if we did every PT prior to the June test?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:54 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Thanks for the link on stress management fastforward. I am sure I would have hit my PT averages if my primitive mind didn't think I was being chased by a lion.

For me, my mind always thought I was being chased by Fat Albert.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:55 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Good advice. I just need to drill RC. I'm pissed I got it as an experimental and the 5th section. Really screwed me. LR was good. Couple of focus errors. LG was perfect in 27 minutes. I'm just pissed I wasted a -12 curve. I think ill be good with limited study. I probably won't touch LG or LR until september.

How easy was that experimental? Damn. Here's hoping we get it again in October. I'm hopeful because June's game section was my experimental in December.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:57 pm

Knockglock wrote:
FuManChusco wrote:Good advice. I just need to drill RC. I'm pissed I got it as an experimental and the 5th section. Really screwed me. LR was good. Couple of focus errors. LG was perfect in 27 minutes. I'm just pissed I wasted a -12 curve. I think ill be good with limited study. I probably won't touch LG or LR until september.

Same. Me as well. I have really limited material left to be honest. So i'll probably just try and read for an hour or two a day until September.

How good is your memory? I bet if you took some of those first tests again, you wouldn't remember them completely.

Anaconda

Postby Anaconda » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:23 pm

3|ink wrote:

How easy was that experimental? Damn. Here's hoping we get it again in October. I'm hopeful because June's game section was my experimental in December.

Do they actually use whole experimentals in future tests? Too bad they don't publish the experimental sections then :P.

lparker

Postby lparker » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:24 pm

I'm retaking as well. My number one choice is the University of Alabama.

So, for those of you who did the prep courses, they only give you access to the material once? I did the Blueprint online course and you get access to the material through two LSAT dates. I plan on going through BP again, but I am also going to do the LGB--since it has had such great reviews here.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 8:32 pm

Anaconda wrote:
3|ink wrote:

Do they actually use whole experimentals in future tests? Too bad they don't publish the experimental sections then :P.

That would be the reason they don't. I'm fairly certain that all 4 games from June were in my December experimental. I'm most certain about the Mulch and Interns games. The other two are up in the air.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 10:00 pm

I'm retaking as well. 170 for me (3.96). Retaking was a really tough decision, but if I can just get that up to a 173 or a 172 even I'd feel like the 5 months I spent studying was worth it. (Right now I went from a 168 diagnostic up two little points).

Not changing much. I think the nerves made me mess up little things. With a solid score under my belt I think I'll do better. I figure I went up on the SATs everytime I took em, maybe the LSATs work the same. I'll probably end up working a little more on LR since that seemed to trip me up. But all in all, I was around -3 or -4 for all sections. Definitely got a little tripped up with a -3 in games in June so hopefully I'll be more on my game and get the normal -1 or -0. I also saw a mistake on RC right as the person called time so maybe I can score a seat not in the very front this time. =(

I figure if I get a little lucky I can escape the looming Waitlist that is Columbia ED.

See you all in October! I'll start studying hard again come August.

jessjess

Postby jessjess » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:02 am

Oh joy. Looks like I'm joining in on the retake fun. I dealt with two deaths in my family starting 2 months before the test. I blame that. My brain clearly wasn't in LSAT land then. I scored well enough to get into my school of choice but I need more so I can get as much in scholarship money as possible. I'm not planning on working at a top law firm and making a ton of money so taking out $100k in loans is out of the question. October.... here I come.

Tolmanator

Postby Tolmanator » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:28 am

Hey fellow TLSers,

What are you thoughts on the application process and how best to go about it given the October retake? Can you submit an application to the schools you want to apply to and have them wait on assessment until your October LSAT score is in? Or should one have the application ready "in the wings" so to speak and submit the application only once the results are official from the retake?

BigA

Postby BigA » Sun Jun 27, 2010 1:33 am

Tolmanator wrote:Hey fellow TLSers,

What are you thoughts on the application process and how best to go about it given the October retake? Can you submit an application to the schools you want to apply to and have them wait on assessment until your October LSAT score is in? Or should one have the application ready "in the wings" so to speak and submit the application only once the results are official from the retake?

I don't think they ever render a decision before November. But I think you want to let them know somehow that you are re-taking in October. I am FAR from an expert on this. I'd kinda like to know too.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:18 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:21 am

ach24 wrote:Like most of you guys, I'm going to take a break from LSAT for a bit and work on my other application stuff (PS, Addendum, etc.).

Stress was my complete enemy here. But, I think some of it has been alleviated. I was the one who said the test was making/breaking my relationship, well it broke it. Officially over as of last night, which means I have more time to devote to this. Besides, I can meet someone smarter and richer in law school, right? jk.

WE ARE GOING TO OWN OCTOBER!!!

+1 and for sure. I'm sorry about your break up but there is always someone else out there and I am a firm believer that everything happens for a reason. Yes, even unfortunately retakes. :P

LSAT Blog

Postby LSAT Blog » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:28 am

BigA wrote:
Tolmanator wrote:Hey fellow TLSers,

I don't think they ever render a decision before November. But I think you want to let them know somehow that you are re-taking in October. I am FAR from an expert on this. I'd kinda like to know too.

You can submit your apps before your LSAT score comes in, but if you have a previous LSAT score on record, *be sure to tell schools not to look at the applications until the new score comes in.*

The risk is that the school might mistakenly look at the application with the prior LSAT score and reject you without waiting to consider the newer score (even though you've told them - they're busy and stuff can get lost or forgotten). Once rejected in a cycle, that's it for the cycle.

I suggest you make sure that everything else in the application is complete around the time LSAT scores are released (in order to allow you to submit your app as early as possible - since law school is conducted on a rolling admission basis).

To be on the safe side, you may want to hold back on something crucial to your application, like your personal statement, until the LSAT score is released. This way, you ensure that they don't mistakenly consider your application without the new score.

starrydreamz3

Postby starrydreamz3 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 11:39 am

I'm definitely putting all my apps in by the end of September, so that the very last thing will be the October scores. But my thinking is that I probably am not going to be going up too much with the retake, maybe a few points. (I have a 170 but would realy like a 173 to avoid waitlists).

I'm trying to decide if I should let some schools decide just on the 170. I have a 3.96 gpa so I feel comfortable applying to some schools just with those stats.

I'm pretty much deciding between a 170 in Early September vs a possible 173 in november. think it's better to wait?

doppelganger

Postby doppelganger » Sun Jun 27, 2010 12:31 pm

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
Last edited by doppelganger on Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rudy

Postby Rudy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 2:37 pm

I finally had the nerve to look back over the first logic game, which for some reason I freaked out about and ended up skipping. Took me about 5 minutes to solve. I am now angry, and will reach into the soul of the October test, rip out its black and beating heart, and feast on it at the break.

Had I not fucked that up I'd have had my average score. Now I'll just spend the summer completely mastering logic games, get it to -0 every time, and I will average high 170's. Peace.

ebl1014

Postby ebl1014 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:30 pm

Rudy:
How are you planning on mastering logic games? I also got owned on the LG section in June (LR -1, LG -13, LR -3, RC -3.... 164, bam roasted) and am retaking in October. I have all of the Kaplan books because I took their one month course right before the LSAT (not enough time for my LG challenged brain), but I'm thinking of getting the LG Bible now. I need to come up with a study plan that greatly improves my LG and at least keeps my LR and RC sharp. Any ideas? Anyone?

gdh

Postby gdh » Sun Jun 27, 2010 3:40 pm

I'm so unbelievably upset... -1LG -11RC. How do you learn reading comprehension? It has been a habitual problem for me.

Rudy

Postby Rudy » Sun Jun 27, 2010 4:06 pm

ebl1014 wrote:Rudy:
How are you planning on mastering logic games? I also got owned on the LG section in June (LR -1, LG -13, LR -3, RC -3.... 164, bam roasted) and am retaking in October. I have all of the Kaplan books because I took their one month course right before the LSAT (not enough time for my LG challenged brain), but I'm thinking of getting the LG Bible now. I need to come up with a study plan that greatly improves my LG and at least keeps my LR and RC sharp. Any ideas? Anyone?

I used the LGB, and it definitely helped with game diagramming, but I needed more practice with identification of types and forming hypotheticals. I think I'm going to get a copy of every games section out there and just slowly burn my way through every single one, including ones I've done, with 8 minutes timed. I'll solve them 3 times, noticing their tricks, and then I'll just get better and better. There's 0 reason I can't do this.

OklahomasOK

Postby OklahomasOK » Sun Jun 27, 2010 6:48 pm

I went -4 on RC with one blank??? Had I just known this, I would have sworn I'd made my 170. I bombed LR... which completely perplexes me, it was turning into my strongest section going into PT60.

I'm also upset I wasted an awesome -12 curve. Moreso even that I only wanted a 167.

Not so much pissed... just dismayed by the fact I have to relive the past three months again.

TonyStark123

Postby TonyStark123 » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:41 pm

I was averaging 167 on the practice tests, and my cold diagnostic was 164. Lack of sleep, stress, and not watching the time on the Reading Comprehension section led me to get a 160. I am so disappointed, but looking at this forum, I definitely should have started studying earlier than May. I am hoping for a dramatic improvement in my LSAT score and I am going to simultaneously be studying for the GMAT.

thedukeabides

Postby thedukeabides » Sun Jun 27, 2010 7:53 pm

Long-time lurker hoping that group therapy is the key to success in October!

PT'd mostly at 167, but hit 170+ more than a couple times with a high of 174, so I was pretty bummed with my 163, especially with a crap 2.9 GPA. LG's sunk me and will get most of my attention, especially hybrid/combination games, like the intern/countries game from last time... just threw me for a loop.

FWIW, I thought the Power Score Bibles were great, really like the way they set up the diagrams for LG's. I just need to sharpen up some specific question types and I'm hoping to jump to 170 in Oct.

SoCalStudent

Postby SoCalStudent » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:00 am

Are you guys using anything besides the LGB? I heard it's really complicated, and I was wondering if there's anything better.

Tolmanator

Postby Tolmanator » Mon Jun 28, 2010 3:47 am

SoCalStudent wrote:Are you guys using anything besides the LGB? I heard it's really complicated, and I was wondering if there's anything better.

In my opinion, the LGB is not that complicated. It teaches fairly basic/practical diagramming skills as well as recognition of particular game types. If you are not taking a class with a test prep company or have some genius way to diagram on your own (please share if this is true!), LGB is the way to go.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”