Retaking October Thread

truffleshuffle

Re: Retaking October Thread

Postby truffleshuffle » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:30 am

I'm glad all the cool people from the waiting thread are in this with me.

LG -0
RC -6
LR -19 FML

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:36 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:37 am

ach24 wrote:On my PTs I was scoring 167-170 consistently. On the real deal, I got a freaking 160...lower than any of my PTs, even my effing diagnostic. WTF.

I purchased the LR bible within 15 minutes after the score (of course after crying and throwing things). I'm going to write Kaplan a nasty gram to get my money back on the books (apparently you can do that if they do shit for you).

I hate everything.

Same. You're not alone....i definitely went through that immediately after I got my score, and still feeling shitty. I'm sorry :(. But we will do better in Oct!

dawb

Postby dawb » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:38 am

ach24 wrote:On my PTs I was scoring 167-170 consistently. On the real deal, I got a freaking 160...lower than any of my PTs, even my effing diagnostic. WTF.

I purchased the LR bible within 15 minutes after the score (of course after crying and throwing things). I'm going to write Kaplan a nasty gram to get my money back on the books (apparently you can do that if they do shit for you).

I hate everything.

I feel your pain, i too scored 7 points below my average and lower then any of my pt's ever

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:41 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:43 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:45 am

LR -5
LG -9
LR -6
RC -8

I broke records across the board. Christ. My typical LG was -2 (token misses). My typical LR was -3. My typical RC was -3. This is so unbelievably frustrating.

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:46 am

Non-Chalant1 wrote:
Chimica wrote:
Anaconda wrote:That sounds awfully intriguing. Is there a specific thread attached to it that you could kindly link to?

Chimica wrote:There was a method I read on this forum that I thought sounded useful

Do a test timed (do not grade)
Redo untimed
Grade both

I think that helps you separate speed issues from understanding.

I plan to add to this by not grading my exams myself. I'll get my husband to mark them and then I will try to search for the ones I got wrong (based on raw score) . I want to be able to recognise the ones I'm missing.

I may also add in a shorter time limit to help compensate for nerves (but I may only use that for LG)

I don't recall the thread name or the poster's name so it's hard to search, but I remember he got a 174 and retook for a 179. I also remember his initial diagnostic and first few tests were sub 160.

I'll look, but if anyone else knows the thread feel free to post the link.

edit-yeah search function!
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=83117

But how useful will that be for us who have already taken the exam? His guide pretty much assumes you know nothing. I am just really curious about how everyone is going to study for this thing from now on. I also would love tips on games. I'm going to major damage on my PS statement tomorrow. I'll probably start on my DS statement on Sunday and the generic "why insert" using the University of Michigan template someone showed me as well. Oh and one more thing...we should role with a "club" avatar.

For myself it will be useful. I only took 5 full practise tests, though I did do all the games.

The closer you get to perfect, the harder it gets to improve. In my (totally theoretical) opinion you can improve by

1) shorten the time-helps compensate for nerves on tests day

2) redo the tests as I suggested. If you redid all the tests could you get perfect on every one? (that is a serious question. I don't doubt that there are people on this forum who could do that. My memory is not fabulous and I had trouble with redoing sections and remembering "C"). And, assuming you haven't memorised them, can you get perfect in 30 minutes?

3) Can you explain the tough questions to stupid people? (I teach-not the LSAT- and I firmly believe that unless you can explain the concept to someone else, you don't know it). I suggest tutoring if possible. Other people have different ways of looking at things and that can be helpful.

Non-Chalant1

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:10 am

Knockglock wrote:
Idk, i'm going to be very very minimalist this time around. I already know everything, just need to do better under test day pressure. It's hard too since i've exhausted almost all prep test materials.

I'm doing a game a day or something start in july and then in August, I'll go back into hardcore again I suppose...as in a PT at least twice a week. I'll start doing RC and LR towards the end of month or in the middle gingerly...I really think I've nearly peaked there. The only improvement would be timing because I got rushed at the end of the first LR and the RC. I won't let that happen again. The thing is I didn't settle on a test taking strategy until literally the week before the exam...and never really had one for games except not to waste time...the 2nd I had to double take on the exam...I think I crashed...because I had two and the first one was so easy.

If you do come up with a plan it'd be great to know....I feel like we'll be communicating on here a lot in the coming months.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 am

scored a 159 on june and was looking for 160+. here i come october. with more time to study im raising my target score to 163+.

i will use cambridge lsat to do all my logic games, logical reasoning and reading comprehension from PT 1- 38. will do the rest as actual PTs (although i've already done them).

i will do question and section studying in august with september for PTing (around 3 PTs a week should be fine). hopefully an extra month away from the LSAT will refresh my mind and i will forget the questions.

im going to work on the statements in july (dont plan on finishing them)

im still down about the score but no time for feeling down. LETS DO IT.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:41 am

am060459 wrote:scored a 159 on june and was looking for 160+. here i come october. with more time to study im raising my target score to 163+.

i will use cambridge lsat to do all my logic games, logical reasoning and reading comprehension from PT 1- 38. will do the rest as actual PTs (although i've already done them).

i will do question and section studying in august with september for PTing (around 3 PTs a week should be fine). hopefully an extra month away from the LSAT will refresh my mind and i will forget the questions.

im going to work on the statements in july (dont plan on finishing them)

im still down about the score but no time for feeling down. LETS DO IT.

love the attitude!

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:42 am

truffleshuffle wrote:I'm glad all the cool people from the waiting thread are in this with me.

LG -0
RC -6
LR -19 FML

yea it definitely helps

dawb

Postby dawb » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:44 am

I got a -6 on the games in June which is far from my -0 in the last 10 pt's. So I printed out the lg section and redid it under timed conditions and all and obv got a -0 in 27 minutes. Definitely ready to break things because everything came so naturally this time while during the actual test i wasnt seeing such glaringly obvious inferences it would have been the huge difference between the 157 i got and the 160 i could have. sigh.
Last edited by dawb on Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Jun 26, 2010 1:45 am

Hello all:

LR1 -0
LG -7 (missed all six on the last game)
LR2 -1
RC -6 (wtf?)

For a 168.

I knew I fucked up LG because I failed to figure out the inters so the -7 is understandable, but the -6 on RC is a surprise. It's not unheard of for me to miss that many when I run out of time or something, but that section felt pretty good and I did not see myself missing more than 4 at the worst. On a more positive note, I am really happy to have done so well on LR, espessially since my second LR came after the stressful games section. (although I probably shouldn't have missed the underground rock band question, I did manage to get a couple of other questions I wasn't too sure about correct.)

It seems to me that LR and RC were just terribly unlucky for me. Out of 7 guesses on LG I missed all 7, I would have done better if I Ded all the way down. As for RC, I tried to move quickly and there were some questions I was not a hundred percent on (including one complete guess and maybe a handful more), but this is how it is for every RC section for me. Overall it felt like a -2/-4 type of a section, -6 was just bad luck. Plus I missed like 3 questions on the first passage which is really wierd, since there wouldn't be any pressure. I'm yet to go over the test completely. Hopefully I can pinpoint my mistakes.

In any case, starting in about 6 weeks I will begin studying again. I will try to keep my LR polished, and will also try to do as many of games as possible to minimize the chances of a disaster. I'm already in the process of reading daily to improve my RC, which I think will help alot. I really feel that, shy of another stroke of really bad luck, I should be able to get a 173+ in October, although I will be shooting for a 180.

Sorry for the long post.

/peace

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:03 am

Ragged wrote:Hello all:

LR1 -0
LG -7 (missed all six on the last game)
LR2 -1
RC -6 (wtf?)

For a 168.

I knew I fucked up LG because I failed to figure out the inters so the -7 is understandable, but the -6 on RC is a surprise. It's not unheard of for me to miss that many when I run out of time or something, but that section felt pretty good and I did not see myself missing more than 4 at the worst. On a more positive note, I am really happy to have done so well on LR, espessially since my second LR came after the stressful games section. (although I probably shouldn't have missed the underground rock band question, I did manage to get a couple of other questions I wasn't too sure about correct.)

It seems to me that LR and RC were just terribly unlucky for me. Out of 7 guesses on LG I missed all 7, I would have done better if I Ded all the way down. As for RC, I tried to move quickly and there were some questions I was not a hundred percent on (including one complete guess and maybe a handful more), but this is how it is for every RC section for me. Overall it felt like a -2/-4 type of a section, -6 was just bad luck. Plus I missed like 3 questions on the first passage which is really wierd, since there wouldn't be any pressure. I'm yet to go over the test completely. Hopefully I can pinpoint my mistakes.

In any case, starting in about 6 weeks I will begin studying again. I will try to keep my LR polished, and will also try to do as many of games as possible to minimize the chances of a disaster. I'm already in the process of reading daily to improve my RC, which I think will help alot. I really feel that, shy of another stroke of really bad luck, I should be able to get a 173+ in October, although I will be shooting for a 180.

Sorry for the long post.

/peace

You're reading too? Good call. I'm going to read one book a every week and another every weekend until August. 180 all the way!

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:10 am

does anybody think not studying in the month of july to be a bad? im using it to do my statements. also, i still feel like i need some mroe time away from the LSAT.

TIA

Ragged

Postby Ragged » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:23 am

3|ink wrote:You're reading too? Good call. I'm going to read one book a every week and another every weekend until August. 180 all the way!

A book a week is impressive. I read only for about 40 minutes or so a day of really desnse philosophy and I try learn a new word a day or so. But I prolly should pick up my pace.

am060459 wrote:does anybody think not studying in the month of july to be a bad? im using it to do my statements. also, i still feel like i need some mroe time away from the LSAT.

TIA

Depends how prepped you feel already and how big of a jump in score you need. I think if you study for just August and September that should be plenty. Working on your statements and applying early is a good idea, as is taking a break from the LSAT for alittle while.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:30 am

am060459 wrote:does anybody think not studying in the month of july to be a bad? im using it to do my statements. also, i still feel like i need some mroe time away from the LSAT.

TIA

I'm probably going to do the same thing. I DEFINITELY need a break from the LSAT. Not really counting the past 3 weeks as a break haha, because it's been on my mind.

am060459

Postby am060459 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 2:46 am

Knockglock wrote:

TIA

I'm probably going to do the same thing. I DEFINITELY need a break from the LSAT. Not really counting the past 3 weeks as a break haha, because it's been on my mind.

agree lol

BigA

Postby BigA » Sat Jun 26, 2010 5:04 am

Knockglock wrote:Well. fuck here we go. good luck to everyone retaking as well.

Sorry to hear KG. Did it go bad, like worse than any of your PTs bad, or you could do better... bad? If you don't wanna say it's okay. I followed your thread, so I'm curious.

I made it clear since I took the test I was re-taking. So I'm in this. Glad I didn't cancel my score though. Not as bad as I might have feared.

Emmae

Postby Emmae » Sat Jun 26, 2010 6:46 am

I'm joining this retakers club and I'm not wasting any time to start restudying - I'm starting my TestMasters course this morning!

I really should have cancelled my score, but I wanted to see how I would do - bad call :x But now I'm all fired up to nail this thing. Timing was a big problem for me. I gotta work on speed and accuracy. I think I might get the bibles too.

This really screws up my entire summer though. I already have requests out for LORs and transcripts, and was planning on writing my PS and DS this summer. I'm still gonna try to do those, as I want to apply as early as possible.

I hope we can all support each to reach our goals.

NonTradHealthLaw

Postby NonTradHealthLaw » Sat Jun 26, 2010 7:29 am

I'm on board with y'all too. Disappointed, definitely, but having only prepped for 6 weeks I suppose it was inevitable. Anyway, just wanted to share some perspective from my SO. If nothing else this will just reinforce to us the time, dedication, and focus necessary for law school. If I kicked ass with 6 weeks of prep I'd probably be over confident and get a rude awakening in 1L. An extra $200+ for registration and prep materials is a pretty cheap lesson learned in the long run. Good luck and G#d speed!

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:15 am

Knockglock wrote:
I think nerves/anxiety was my biggest problem. Or maybe just feeling the rush. It felt so much faster on test day, and I was hurting for time on LG / RC I guess. Endurance wasn't a problem for me, I don't think. -0 LR for the 5th section.

Wow Knock we really are twins... 171 and I also got -0 in my last section.

Knock

Postby Knock » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:17 am

bostonlawchick wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
I think nerves/anxiety was my biggest problem. Or maybe just feeling the rush. It felt so much faster on test day, and I was hurting for time on LG / RC I guess. Endurance wasn't a problem for me, I don't think. -0 LR for the 5th section.

haha wow. hopefully we crush it this time! i'm still disappointed :'(. can't believe i'm going to have to deal with this for another four months :'(.

bostonlawchick

Postby bostonlawchick » Sat Jun 26, 2010 9:24 am

Knockglock wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

haha wow. hopefully we crush it this time! i'm still disappointed :'(. can't believe i'm going to have to deal with this for another four months :'(.

I hear ya. I was so ambivalent. I told myself I wouldn't retake unless I got below a 170, but the more I think about it the worse I feel. I know I can do better. It's hard to let go of my NYU dreams. This experience will only help us though. We'll kill it in October.

I'm not going to start studying again til August. I was really haphazard last time, so I think I'm going to buy more of the recent tests and try to get my timing down. I got really flustered on LG when I ran out of time. Til August though, it's relax, enjoy summer, and write my PS/DS.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”