Retaking October Thread Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Knock

Platinum

Re: Retaking October Thread

Post by Knock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 pm

alicrimson wrote:
I wish I had your motivation ali. Can you share your timelines? when are you trying to get your apps in?
I plan on apps in no later than November, though I may submit mid September and just let them hold me....I need to talk to an advisor. I'm currently in the process of organizing and making my timeline look pretty from the times I wrote in my planner, so I will post that as soon as its done as long as you promise to post that neat spreadsheet you had of all the PT progress scores :D . That is, if you still have it. What are you guys thinking as far as app time?
I'm not sure as of yet. Kind of leaning submitting apps as soon as I can, and then submitting an updated LSAT when I get my Oct. score. With a 171, I don't think i'd get outright rejected from a lot of places.

Not sure if I should wait a bit, though, and maybe submit after I get my score?

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:25 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:Retakers should still work on PSs over the summer...but instead of ones catered to the lengths that each school desire...just write a short and long one.

Good call on the short/long. I'm going to do exactly this. I think I'll look at my range of schools and my dream school and see what they require and write general essays that would satisfy each's criteria.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:26 pm

LogicalBaozi wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:After going back and forth for a few hours, I'm throwing my hat in the ring. Just registered, had a fee waiver so I figured why not? I mean a 171 is good, but I feel like I could have done so much better. My 3.4 needs some help.
We're in the same club. 171 retakes! <33
Same, I mis-transcribed an entire game!!!! &#……&¥Q#&$ I missed two questions on the entire test outside of LG.... oh, well. At least the October test won't fall during Finals Week, eh?

Edit: And this time I'm actually buying prep materials and prepping hardcore, not just randomly taking a few preps the week before. I've read Pithypike's guide, and it is goooood. Why didn't I know about this site before I sat the exam?
ah! a fellow quarter systemer. welcome. I feel your pain about the LSAT being during finals week, that was a pain in the ass for sure lol.

sorry to hear about that game. my mistranscribe do you mean misbubble, or did you write down the rules wrong? either way, my sympathies.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:27 pm

Knockglock wrote:
alicrimson wrote:
I wish I had your motivation ali. Can you share your timelines? when are you trying to get your apps in?
I plan on apps in no later than November, though I may submit mid September and just let them hold me....I need to talk to an advisor. I'm currently in the process of organizing and making my timeline look pretty from the times I wrote in my planner, so I will post that as soon as its done as long as you promise to post that neat spreadsheet you had of all the PT progress scores :D . That is, if you still have it. What are you guys thinking as far as app time?
I'm not sure as of yet. Kind of leaning submitting apps as soon as I can, and then submitting an updated LSAT when I get my Oct. score. With a 171, I don't think i'd get outright rejected from a lot of places.

Not sure if I should wait a bit, though, and maybe submit after I get my score?
I'm similar but for much lower ranked schools.lol. I mean, I'm one below my median for my tier 1 flagship; however, a part of me wants and thinks I can do more. Maybe I'll apply to that school, say I'm expecting a score, and then wait for the reaches [assuming i get the score on the second go round] until after I get the score? Gah! Law school advisor!

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Knockglock wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:After going back and forth for a few hours, I'm throwing my hat in the ring. Just registered, had a fee waiver so I figured why not? I mean a 171 is good, but I feel like I could have done so much better. My 3.4 needs some help.
We're in the same club. 171 retakes! <33
Woot! We'll kill it in October, seasoned vets that we are now. Maybe I'll join you at a CCN, that is if you don't get HYS, which you probably will :lol:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:28 pm

Knockglock wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:Retakers should still work on PSs over the summer...but instead of ones catered to the lengths that each school desire...just write a short and long one.
Yup, i'm going to have my PS and DS done completely by the time school starts. Taking a full load of classes in the Fall, compared to this previous quarter, where I went to part time student to study for the LSAT. at least I've learned a lot now.

I thought that all PS were supposed to be like 2 pages? what are the long and shot page lengths?
Some schools like Boalt and U of Florida have 4 page personal statements whereas others like U of Washington have 2. Some have lengths in between. Good to have a long and a short and perhaps some space to personalize the PS toward the school (not necessary if a Why X essay is an option).

I won't send out apps until the October scores comes back. In the meantime I will work on all the basics (already have LORs, PS, resume, additional statments) needed so I can send my applications ASAP when those October scores are released. As long as everything is sent before Turkey Day things should be good.

alicrimson

Silver

Post by alicrimson » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:30 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Yup, i'm going to have my PS and DS done completely by the time school starts. Taking a full load of classes in the Fall, compared to this previous quarter, where I went to part time student to study for the LSAT. at least I've learned a lot now.

I thought that all PS were supposed to be like 2 pages? what are the long and shot page lengths?
Some schools like Boalt and U of Florida have 4 page personal statements whereas others like U of Washington have 2. Some have lengths in between. Good to have a long and a short and perhaps some space to personalize the PS toward the school (not necessary if a Why X essay is an option).

I won't send out apps until the October scores comes back. In the meantime I will work on all the basics (already have LORs, PS, resume, additional statments) needed so I can send my applications ASAP when those October scores are released. As long as everything is sent before Turkey Day things should be good.

Plug in, Florida's median is a 161. You're gold there.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:31 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

smart call. thanks for the great advice. ugh. OKAY.

TOMORROW. i'm going to doing my summer school homework for an hour or two, and then i'm going to start on my PS and DS, for reals.

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:32 pm

Are getting any of the Bibles worth it after already taking Testmasters? Finally, why in the world does Testmasters not give us site access after the class is over? That's ridiculous. They are making sure you have to repay for another go.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:33 pm

alicrimson wrote:
I'm similar but for much lower ranked schools.lol. I mean, I'm one below my median for my tier 1 flagship; however, a part of me wants and thinks I can do more. Maybe I'll apply to that school, say I'm expecting a score, and then wait for the reaches [assuming i get the score on the second go round] until after I get the score? Gah! Law school advisor!
I think this is gonna be my strategy too. Get my apps in to schools that would probably accept my with my June score early, and then wait til November 1st for my reaches. Then again, do schools usually send out rejections to regular decision candidates before December?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:35 pm

alicrimson wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Plug in, Florida's median is a 161. You're gold there.
Just using that one as an example...only would ever consider that school if my mother ends up moving there with her best friend. The only school I would be happy with that I would have a shot at would be Iowa right now. Either way I woefully underperformed my PTs and I feel its very correctable...anyway I have a fee waiver.

Nothing is gold either....got waitlisted from Seattle U despite being over 75th percentile in both LSAT and GPA (I have misdemeanor assault and battery from seven years ago). I am taking nothing for granted this time around.

jjlaw

Bronze

Post by jjlaw » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:37 pm

I'm joining you guys. What a disappointment. I was PT-ing 168-170 and ended up with a 164. The 3rd and 4th LG really screwed me over, and RC killed me.

Does anyone have suggestions on practicing RC? It's the bane of my existence.

Rikkugrrl

Bronze

Post by Rikkugrrl » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:39 pm

alicrimson wrote:

Good call on the short/long. I'm going to do exactly this. I think I'll look at my range of schools and my dream school and see what they require and write general essays that would satisfy each's criteria.
As far as the PS goes, at first I was gonna say I might wait until school starts in case I need help from my pre-law adviser...then I remembered what he's been telling me for the past three years. He was also my major adviser and every time he saw I'd taken choir or studied abroad on my transcript, he would say "oh that's so interesting! Write down a paragraph about those experiences and put it away for when you apply to law schools!" :D. Wonderful man and he's given me lots of good advice in the past, but...I have a feeling 99% of applicants had those "interesting" experiences. I think I'm joining the "write the PS this summer" crowd.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:46 pm

jjlaw wrote:I'm joining you guys. What a disappointment. I was PT-ing 168-170 and ended up with a 164. The 3rd and 4th LG really screwed me over, and RC killed me.

Does anyone have suggestions on practicing RC? It's the bane of my existence.
It's funny how the people who are good at RC are bad at LG and vice versa. I have been asking for tips on LG forever...I feel like my entire process is too slow and then when I speed up, I make dumb mistakes....or miss things. Which is why I'm wondering if the bibles are worth it. I think the most important thing to gain from the reading comp is really the main idea because that's always bound to be the first question and to not get caught up in the grandiose descriptions at times. Always, trying to recognize and understand cause and effect. Also, don't be afraid to look back if you don't recall something...which always happens to me because of the pace at which I go through them.

You'll usually have an idea of where to look for it and will get it better skimming it the second time around really fast. Don't waste your time highlighting and doing all that notation on the sides..it'll just slow you down. RC is really about retention and I'd practice retaining information. Pretty much RC is one of those section made for people like me who've crammed all their lives. I think the worst I ever did was 21 out of 28 (on my first ever) and it's usually between 23 and 26 out of 28 (rushing at the end).

My entire method is unorthodox though, I underline every single sentence as a way of focusing and maintaining pace...I do it for LR too. LG...well....I'm open to suggestions.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:50 pm

a little off topic, but since people were talking about writing their personal statements... what's the consensus on writing a diversity statement if you're not a minority? I grew up pretty poor, is that something that could be addressed in a diversity statement?

PlugInBaby

Bronze

Post by PlugInBaby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:51 pm

bostonlawchick wrote:a little off topic, but since people were talking about writing their personal statements... what's the consensus on writing a diversity statement if you're not a minority? I grew up pretty poor, is that something that could be addressed in a diversity statement?
That is good enough for a DS in my opinion.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:53 pm

PlugInBaby wrote:
bostonlawchick wrote:a little off topic, but since people were talking about writing their personal statements... what's the consensus on writing a diversity statement if you're not a minority? I grew up pretty poor, is that something that could be addressed in a diversity statement?
Same, might as well write it, I think it could help, although definitely not as much as a urm boost.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Non-Chalant1

Silver

Post by Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 10:54 pm

I had already started writing my PS during the excruciating wait so it's not really that big of an issue for me. I think I have a good idea, I just have to make sure it's not too long. As far as my DS, I got an idea...just some thoughts jotted down...sort of starts with me mocking the concept in a joking way though.

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:04 pm

Knockglock wrote:
PlugInBaby wrote:
Same, might as well write it, I think it could help, although definitely not as much as a urm boost.
Thanks guys, that's what I thought... I know it's all numbers, but I feel like the more the adcomms know about me, the better chance I stand.

Chimica

New

Post by Chimica » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:13 pm

All the cool kids retake

LR -2
LG -7
LR -5
RC -3

I want that 170. I'm trying to convince my husband to take it with me because "it will be fun". Also, he can help me learn some logic games.

I'm in no hurry to apply to law school, so that helps. (Actually I'm in no hurry to go to law school-if I could get a job in chemistry, I wouldn't even look at law)

bostonlawchick

Bronze

Post by bostonlawchick » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:15 pm

Chimica wrote:All the cool kids retake

LR -2
LG -7
LR -5
RC -3

I want that 170. I'm trying to convince my husband to take it with me because "it will be fun". Also, he can help me learn some logic games.

I'm in no hurry to apply to law school, so that helps. (Actually I'm in no hurry to go to law school-if I could get a job in chemistry, I wouldn't even look at law)
I just want to say, I love your avatar. I wanted to be a chemical engineer so bad when I got to college, but then a D+ and subsequent C- in Chem 101 dashed those hopes for me.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 pm

Ugh, the 171s ITT are making me want to retake. I wish it wasn't the god damn weekend. I need to talk to my advisor asap. I'm having a mental breakdown. Why couldn't RC have been anything but section 5. FFFUUUUUUU.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 pm

I grew up in a one parent household (just my father) with a low income. I plan to write a diversity statement.

Knock

Platinum

Post by Knock » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:16 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Ugh, the 171s ITT are making me want to retake. I wish it wasn't the god damn weekend. I need to talk to my advisor asap. I'm having a mental breakdown. Why couldn't RC have been anything but section 5. FFFUUUUUUU.
Haha, just come retake with us :P! it will be like old times again :mrgreen:.

cinefile 17

Bronze

Post by cinefile 17 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:17 pm

FuManChusco wrote:Why couldn't RC have been anything but section 5. FFFUUUUUUU.
+1000

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”