Yes
80%
No
20%

Total votes: 5

ahs2123

Should I retake in October??

Postby ahs2123 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:47 pm

After weeks of anticipation, I found out that I got a 163 on the June LSAT and I'm disappointed. I am trying to decide whether to retake in October. Here's some info on me.

LSAT History
I did Testmasters and I loved it. I had a double digit increase. My original goal was 165. My goal then changed to 170+ after I got two 169's and a 171 in the two weeks before the official test. My lowest PT in that time frame was 164. After I heard the curve, I was almost positive that I got a 167--and I wasn't going to retake. As a test taker, I've always struggled with time. On this test, I missed 21 total and 14 of them were in the last 5 questions. However, I have got much quicker and finished all but the last game (which killed me). I have made progress however. I didn't do so hot on the last questions in each section, but I did finish every section except games.

As a Student
I have a 4.0 and I'm a political science major. I have a number of softs (3 years at law firm, 1 with the state of KS research department plus clubs, volunteering and raising a 4 year old). I will graduate in December 2010 with a degree in political science and a minor in philosophy. I also have solid recommendations locked in (one from a former Vandy prof...though undergrad political science).

Where I'm applying (in order of preference):
Vanderbilt
Boston College
Boston University
Washington University in St. Louis
Notre Dame
Texas
Emory
Kansas

I've used the Law School Predictor and the Law School Probability Calculator. I know I have a fighting chance at each school...I just can't decide. It's entirely possible that I'd do the exact same on the retake (obviously). And my confidence is pretty shot right now so I'm not sure that I can perform as well on the "real test." In the end, is it worth it to retake?

I'd appreciate input from anyone! Thanks!!

gdane

Re: Should I retake in October??

Postby gdane » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:02 pm

You have a shot at most of the school, but retaking (and doing better) would help. Just be certain that you can do better before you retake. You may have scored two 169's and a 171 leading up to the test, but how many PT's did you take? Ask yourself why you scored that high. Were the tests easy or did you just feel good that day? In any case, I would retake. In the event that you score lower, the highest score is taken and your 163 should be ok.

Good luck!

ahs2123

Re: Should I retake in October??

Postby ahs2123 » Sat Jun 26, 2010 12:39 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I took 6 or 7 and ranged from 164-171. Actually, I think the 171 was the December 2007 LSAT...which had a pretty tough reading comp section. For me, when I finish each section with confidence, it seems to range in the high 160s low 170s.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”