Yes. Another Advice Thread.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 25, 2010 5:54 pm

I've taken the test twice now - each time with Testmasters. I scored a 159 both times. Before the first test, I was scoring 161-164 consistently. Before June (my latest), I was scoring 167 fairly consistently. What else can I do? I'm completely dumbfounded.

harut44
Posts: 47
Joined: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:51 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby harut44 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:11 pm

Are you finding anything exceptionally difficult the day of the test? Do you feel more anxious when taking the actual LSAT than you do when practicing? What conditions do you take your practice LSAT in?

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:14 pm

harut44 wrote:Are you finding anything exceptionally difficult the day of the test? Do you feel more anxious when taking the actual LSAT than you do when practicing? What conditions do you take your practice LSAT in?


Yes. Anxiety is the biggest problem. I take practice tests at home. However, I also took a few practice diagnostics in a class setting (with TM). I scored better on most of the class setting diagnostics.

I thought I was over my anxiety. I experienced zero anxiety during my PTs.

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:16 pm

3|ink wrote:I've taken the test twice now - each time with Testmasters. I scored a 159 both times. Before the first test, I was scoring 161-164 consistently. Before June (my latest), I was scoring 167 fairly consistently. What else can I do? I'm completely dumbfounded.


What was your score break down? How did you do on LG? LG is learnable and if you've reached a wall make sure your LG is -0.

User avatar
PlugInBaby
Posts: 387
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:40 am

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby PlugInBaby » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:18 pm

3|ink wrote:I thought I was over my anxiety. I experienced zero anxiety during my PTs.


+1

Hey-O
Posts: 719
Joined: Thu Sep 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby Hey-O » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:21 pm

3|ink wrote:
harut44 wrote:Are you finding anything exceptionally difficult the day of the test? Do you feel more anxious when taking the actual LSAT than you do when practicing? What conditions do you take your practice LSAT in?


Yes. Anxiety is the biggest problem. I take practice tests at home. However, I also took a few practice diagnostics in a class setting (with TM). I scored better on most of the class setting diagnostics.

I thought I was over my anxiety. I experienced zero anxiety during my PTs.


Ask a friend to randomly attack you with a club during your PTs. Then you would be anxious during the PT.

User avatar
Nikrall
Posts: 191
Joined: Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:25 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby Nikrall » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:46 pm

You will always be more anxious on the actual LSAT than on preptests.

What was your original diagnostic? I would suppose (not knowing you) that there are a few things going on here.

1) Nobody has really calmed you down about the test. Reading TLS doesn't exactly help with that either. Stop reading TLS. Go read logic books or philosophy books. Remember that law school is just one option. Your life will still be ok, even if you don't go to law school. Promise.

2) Learn the test better. TM is good, but you need to learn the ins and outs of what is going on. Again, learn logic. Pre-phrase every question. Stop taking timed tests. You need to have the LSAT be second nature. You need it to be natural, and you need to start thinking logically. Always.

3) Class settings have little to do with the actual test. You don't get nervous from sitting down at a desk in a classroom. I suspect you did enough of that in high school and college to be pretty comfortable in that situation. You get nervous because its The Big Day Of The LSAT! But you need to relax. You need to remember in the scheme of things, its not a huge deal.

Attitude is, seriously, 20-30% of the test. Confidence is huge.

User avatar
Non-Chalant1
Posts: 852
Joined: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:54 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby Non-Chalant1 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 6:55 pm

I'm only to be retaking this for the first time, but there is nothing left that Testmasters can teach us at this point. Nothing at all. I reached a point where I did things my own way and ignored what Testmasters was telling me and got -4 on RC with not being able to answer the last two. I usually end up with something like -4 to -10 on LR combined, but it's usually me messing up the first one because my brain isn't turned on yet. My biggest issue is LG. I wish that I could erase every LG I did and just do one game a morning for the next 3 months or something. Everything else I'll probably get at occassionally on weekends or something....I'm going to try to find my own way with games too. We have their tools and now it's time to modify them in a way that will help us succeed. My problem is I do LR and RC rapidly to an extent, but LG requires me to slow down and the timing kills me.

mattjs64
Posts: 24
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 12:58 am

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby mattjs64 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:03 pm

A 159 isn't terrible. I know that your PT's are higher, but honestly, this stuff happens. A 159 can get you into a quality school and just work your ass off at that school even if it is ranked in the 40-60 range. Be the best in your class at one of those schools and you'll be in a better position than someone ranked in the middle of his class somewhere else.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:06 pm

Hey-O wrote:
3|ink wrote:I've taken the test twice now - each time with Testmasters. I scored a 159 both times. Before the first test, I was scoring 161-164 consistently. Before June (my latest), I was scoring 167 fairly consistently. What else can I do? I'm completely dumbfounded.


What was your score break down? How did you do on LG? LG is learnable and if you've reached a wall make sure your LG is -0.


My LG averaged between -1 to -2 on PTs. I missed the entire 4th game this time around.

User avatar
3|ink
Posts: 7331
Joined: Wed Dec 16, 2009 5:23 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby 3|ink » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:07 pm

mattjs64 wrote:A 159 isn't terrible. I know that your PT's are higher, but honestly, this stuff happens. A 159 can get you into a quality school and just work your ass off at that school even if it is ranked in the 40-60 range. Be the best in your class at one of those schools and you'll be in a better position than someone ranked in the middle of his class somewhere else.


159 can't get me anywhere with a 3.15 gpa.

acrossthelake
Posts: 4431
Joined: Sat May 16, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jun 25, 2010 7:11 pm

Test anxiety sucks. The pressure of test day really slowed me down. I study cognition, and have been taught about studies on how anxiety really wrecks working memory. For example, there was one study where they took a group of students who were normally reallly good at math and had normal controls. In one setting, they just had them take a math exam. In the other condition, they did something(I don't remember what the incentive was exactly) to really make the exam seem like a huge deal to put pressure on these guys and increase their anxiety(only for the good at math ppl, not controls). In the high-stress condition, the really good at math people saw huge drops in score to the point where they were just comparable to the controls. Work on the test anxiety!

ecrew
Posts: 39
Joined: Fri Mar 26, 2010 1:34 pm

Re: Yes. Another Advice Thread.

Postby ecrew » Fri Jun 25, 2010 11:56 pm

3|ink wrote:
mattjs64 wrote:A 159 isn't terrible. I know that your PT's are higher, but honestly, this stuff happens. A 159 can get you into a quality school and just work your ass off at that school even if it is ranked in the 40-60 range. Be the best in your class at one of those schools and you'll be in a better position than someone ranked in the middle of his class somewhere else.


159 can't get me anywhere with a 3.15 gpa.


My best friend got a 159 and had a 3.11 She got into Rutgers Newark and just got her first job, starting at 6 figures, so do not lose hope. I know it's only one example, but at least it can be done




Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dontsaywhatyoumean, Google [Bot] and 2 guests