Taking the LSAT before my JUNIOR YEAR.

Helphelphelp

Taking the LSAT before my JUNIOR YEAR.

Postby Helphelphelp » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:37 pm

Hi fellow TLS posters. Just out of curiosity, does anyone have experience with taking the LSAT before their junior year of college? My main reason for creating this thread is because I've set my sights on applying to law school next fall (Fall '11). I will be busy during my entire school year with a full class load, work, and research so I know I won't have any time to study during the year. This leaves me with the summer before I must submit my application for law schools to study which I DEFINITELY don't want to do. Being a URM, I've been told that applying ASAP is going to help me greatly. During this time I would preferably want to focus on the applications (PS, DS, etc..) and not have to worry about taking the LSAT.. So does taking the LSAT before my junior year seem reasonable? Also, I've thought about taking time off after graduating to study for the LSAT, but I really want to apply straight out of undergrad. Thanks in advance for your help!

P.S. Please don't reply saying, "You're young, go experience life, go experience college....." I know law is exactly the field I want to practice in and have already done two law-related internships. Thanks!

EDIT. I will be starting a Testmasters course on July 13th and am 3/4th's of the way through the LGB and have already read two books on informal and formal logic.

archie&veronica

Re: Taking the LSAT before my JUNIOR YEAR.

Postby archie&veronica » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Not as complicated as you think. Take the LSAT in October if you feel prepared after taking the course and studying, and if that will relieve the stress of studying for the test for June '11. Another year of school will not give you a leg up on the test, only full preparation will.

Good luck!

icydash

Postby icydash » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:44 pm

are we just ending all our SENTENCES IN CAPS LOCK NOW?

Helphelphelp

Postby Helphelphelp » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:56 pm

archie&veronica wrote:Not as complicated as you think. Take the LSAT in October if you feel prepared after taking the course and studying, and if that will relieve the stress of studying for the test for June '11. Another year of school will not give you a leg up on the test, only full preparation will.

Good luck!

Well my target score is 165 and while I haven't taken a practice test yet, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with only 3 months of prep and still achieving a great score (165+).

mallard

Postby mallard » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:57 pm

Helphelphelp wrote:
archie&veronica wrote:Not as complicated as you think. Take the LSAT in October if you feel prepared after taking the course and studying, and if that will relieve the stress of studying for the test for June '11. Another year of school will not give you a leg up on the test, only full preparation will.

Good luck!

Well my target score is 165 and while I haven't taken a practice test yet, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with only 3 months of prep and still achieving a great score (165+).

You should take a practice test.

luxxe

Postby luxxe » Fri Jun 25, 2010 12:02 am

I'll be taking the test this October, which will be the fall of my junior year. It isn't that uncommon.

As far as getting a 165+ with 3 months study, it really depends on where you begin & how much you are willing to study. Have you taken a diagnostic?

katiem

Postby katiem » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:03 am

I took the LSAT in June and I'm going to be a junior this fall. I prepped for around 3 months. I had absolutely nothing to do the month before the test and a relatively light school schedule spring semester, so it worked out well. It'll be nice to be able to focus on the personal statement and all next summer (plus do something way cooler than study for the LSAT in my parents' house all day).

I would try to get the LGB and LRB done before school starts, plus however much extra practice you need to get comfortable with games before you start doing timed prep tests. Then do a couple prep tests a week during school and take the October LSAT. Good luck :mrgreen:

rman1201

Postby rman1201 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 am

Helphelphelp wrote:

Good luck!

Target score should be 180. No gains except to self esteem for setting a lower target.
This isn't the same as applying to schools where you actually need reasonable targets to prevent you from spending a ridiculous amount of money on app fees. Set a high target score (180) and work, sweat, cry until you get there, and if you don't, you don't.

acrossthelake

Postby acrossthelake » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:22 am

Helphelphelp wrote:Well my target score is 165 and while I haven't taken a practice test yet, I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with only 3 months of prep and still achieving a great score (165+).
I

I prepped on/off(intensely at first, then took time off because I just didn't have the time to prep at all due to other things, then moderately after) starting mid-July last summer for last year's Sept test. If you don't count the weeks I spent not looking at LSAT prep at all, I'd say I spent around 5-6 weeks prepping and I achieved a great score. Your mileage may vary.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”