HELP! Apostrophe confusion on LSAT information

pjo

HELP! Apostrophe confusion on LSAT information

Postby pjo » Thu Jun 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Whoa I need some help bc I'm freaking out! I just talked to my friend who said he got a letter from LSAC about a week ago saying there was a hold on is account bc his account name didn't match up to the name he put on the test. My friend and I both have an apostrophe in our last names, and our LSAT accounts both show the apostrophe. He said the reason his name didn't match up was bc he didn't put and apostrophe in his name (in the "box" portion). Now I'm really nervous bc I didn't put an apostrophe either. The only thing is I never got any letter/email or anything from LSAC saying my account is on hold. Is this something I should be concerned about or I'm I over analyzing??? Anybody with an apostrophe in their name have this happen to them???

smoneill88

Re: HELP! Apostrophe confusion on LSAT information

Postby smoneill88 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:51 pm

I've gotten no such notification, and my name has an apostrophe as well, and similarly, my LSAT account has the apostrophe and my test did not. There is no way to bubble an apostrophe on the test, so you are fine; they don't expect you to use one. You probably just got unlucky with whoever was sorting through your test at the LSAC headquarters. The people who process the LSAT are human, and probably dumber than most people on this forum too (let's be honest, they're shuffling papers for a living), so I wouldn't worry. You just got the one anal person in the office. You'll be fine.

LSAC Proctor

Postby LSAC Proctor » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:08 am

I can answer this, I was an LSAT proctor for four years and now work at the LSAC.

We are mainly WASPs. Around 2001 we noticed a troubling amount Irish students being admitted to law school. It is now our official policy that any apostrophe in the surname results in instant disqualification.

Canarsie

Postby Canarsie » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:21 am

LSAC Proctor wrote:I can answer this, I was an LSAT proctor for four years and now work at the LSAC.

We are mainly WASPs. Around 2001 we noticed a troubling amount Irish students being admitted to law school. It is now our official policy that any apostrophe in the surname results in instant disqualification.

I suppose you are not worried about French, Italian, and African last names with apostrophes.

BigA

Postby BigA » Fri Jun 25, 2010 1:29 am

Canarsie wrote:
LSAC Proctor wrote:I can answer this, I was an LSAT proctor for four years and now work at the LSAC.

I suppose you are not worried about French, Italian, and African last names with apostrophes.

I assume their intent is to take care of those as well :wink:

LSAC Proctor

Postby LSAC Proctor » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:10 am

Canarsie wrote:

We also disqualify surnames that contain exclamtion points in an effort to moderate African admissions. Those descended from French Heugonots are welcome, as are northern Italians.

Stanford4Me

Postby Stanford4Me » Fri Jun 25, 2010 2:56 am

I'm glad you created an account for this.

smoneill88

Postby smoneill88 » Fri Jun 25, 2010 4:30 am

Love these responses. Literally LOL'd

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”