Yet another request for suggestions... Forum

Prepare for the LSAT or discuss it with others in this forum.
Tuckaseegee

New

Yet another request for suggestions...

Post by Tuckaseegee » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:08 pm

Hi all,

I will apologize in advance because I know this conversation has been had many a time before. However, sifting through archives on this forum can be quite a task given the incredible number of past posts, so I figured I'd start from scratch, allowing me to detail my own personal situation.

I am taking the LSAT in October. I will be traveling a bit this summer, which limits when I can start a course. In addition, I'll be back to working full time on August 25. I'm open to either an in-person or online course.

Given a diagnostic, I scored a 167. I definitely want 170s...ideal would be 175+. I need most work on LR and LG.

So, here is what I'm debating:

Kaplan 15-hours private tutoring + Access to In-Person Course starting on August 30 for $1953...not sure this leaves me enough time. I also went to a free class, and I wasn't too impressed. But perhaps their tutoring is different?

PowerScore Course for $1295 or Online Powerscore for $995...again, this would start mid-August, so the time frame scares me. However, I hear great things about PS.

Knewton: $690...again, starts mid- to late-August. I like the instructors. Don't like how the material is online.

Blueprint The Movie: $850ish...I don't have to worry about start times; I can start, travel, and then continue when I return. I like the humor and instructors.

In the end, I want the best possible course. So, I respectfully ask for opinions and recommendations.

Again, thanks!

-S

kaydish21

Bronze

Re: Yet another request for suggestions...

Post by kaydish21 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:10 pm

I have a friend that did Knewton and he said it's pretty solid. I would definitely stay away from Kaplan and any class that ends too close to the actual lsat day. It takes a lot of time of prepping after the class is complete to reach your peak as during the class you are just practicing new strategies. I used Stratus Prep in NYC and it was fantastic.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Tuckaseegee wrote:Hi all,

I will apologize in advance because I know this conversation has been had many a time before. However, sifting through archives on this forum can be quite a task given the incredible number of past posts, so I figured I'd start from scratch, allowing me to detail my own personal situation.

I am taking the LSAT in October. I will be traveling a bit this summer, which limits when I can start a course. In addition, I'll be back to working full time on August 25. I'm open to either an in-person or online course.

Given a diagnostic, I scored a 167. I definitely want 170s...ideal would be 175+. I need most work on LR and LG.

So, here is what I'm debating:

Kaplan 15-hours private tutoring + Access to In-Person Course starting on August 30 for $1953...not sure this leaves me enough time. I also went to a free class, and I wasn't too impressed. But perhaps their tutoring is different?

PowerScore Course for $1295 or Online Powerscore for $995...again, this would start mid-August, so the time frame scares me. However, I hear great things about PS.

Knewton: $690...again, starts mid- to late-August. I like the instructors. Don't like how the material is online.

Blueprint The Movie: $850ish...I don't have to worry about start times; I can start, travel, and then continue when I return. I like the humor and instructors.

In the end, I want the best possible course. So, I respectfully ask for opinions and recommendations.

Again, thanks!

-S
Theses courses aren't meant for people as smart as you. Hell Kaplan hires people who do worse on the real thing than you did on a diag.

Self study with the powerscore bibles. Hell you could probably just take 5-10 PTs and hit 175.

Woozy

Bronze

Post by Woozy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:12 pm

Sometimes no course is the best course.

Buy the bibles, practice tests, study before, while, and after traveling. Send me the $ you saved.

Saltqjibo

Bronze

Post by Saltqjibo » Wed Jun 23, 2010 7:17 pm

Don't waste your money on a course. You need some sets of grouped LGs and a boatload of past tests. Then 170+ for sure

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

HiLine

Bronze

Post by HiLine » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:01 am

Desert Fox wrote: Self study with the powerscore bibles. Hell you could probably just take 5-10 PTs and hit 175.
Here and maybe a book on informal logic too.

furrywalls

New

Post by furrywalls » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:27 am

HiLine wrote:Here and maybe a book on informal logic too.
Just not Walton's book unless you are seeking an example of redundancy. If that's the case, I highly recommend Informal Logic: A Pragmatic Approach by Walton.

Diamond

Post by 09042014 » Thu Jun 24, 2010 1:33 am

HiLine wrote:
Desert Fox wrote: Self study with the powerscore bibles. Hell you could probably just take 5-10 PTs and hit 175.
Here and maybe a book on informal logic too.
Not necessary for someone who diag'd at 167.

Tuckaseegee

New

Post by Tuckaseegee » Thu Jun 24, 2010 10:46 am

Thanks so far.

I know, I know...get a book and work on my own. I'm just afraid with the traveling and my job that I'll never study. I need something to keep me on track, whether it's physically showing up to a class, digitally showing up to a class, or having a new video to watch.

I think I'm leaning toward Blueprint or perhaps Knewton.

I'm def. getting the Powerscore bibles, so thanks for that suggestion!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:01 am

Tuckaseegee wrote:Thanks so far.

I know, I know...get a book and work on my own. I'm just afraid with the traveling and my job that I'll never study. I need something to keep me on track, whether it's physically showing up to a class, digitally showing up to a class, or having a new video to watch.

I don't understand people like you. You diag at 167. You have the potential to hit 175+ and get into a great school, but you can't find the motivation to study. good luck in law school dude.

Tuckaseegee

New

Post by Tuckaseegee » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:10 am

On the contrary. I'm recognizing that I may get caught up in teaching once the school year starts again, esp. since I'm teaching a special education class for the first time. I want to put something into place so that I don't lose motivation to study.

But thanks for your kind response.

Tuckaseegee

New

Post by Tuckaseegee » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:12 am

furrywalls wrote:
Just not Walton's book unless you are seeking an example of redundancy. If that's the case, I highly recommend Informal Logic: A Pragmatic Approach by Walton.
Thanks, furrywalls. I'm researching this book now and it looks like an interesting read! Looks like it might be helpful for the LR section.

FuManChusco

Silver

Post by FuManChusco » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:18 am

Tuckaseegee wrote:On the contrary. I'm recognizing that I may get caught up in teaching once the school year starts again, esp. since I'm teaching a special education class for the first time. I want to put something into place so that I don't lose motivation to study.

I'm just frustrated waiting for my June score. Sorry to sound rude. I just think with a score that high you would be better off planning a strict schedule for yourself and following it. You're going to be way ahead of all the kids in those classes and I feel that some of your time will be wasted. With a busy work schedule, you may actually have more time on your hands through self-study. I understand the need for structure, but I think you can achieve that without a class. Just my $.02.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Tuckaseegee

New

Post by Tuckaseegee » Thu Jun 24, 2010 11:45 am

FuManChusco wrote:
Tuckaseegee wrote:On the contrary. I'm recognizing that I may get caught up in teaching once the school year starts again, esp. since I'm teaching a special education class for the first time. I want to put something into place so that I don't lose motivation to study.

I'm just frustrated waiting for my June score. Sorry to sound rude. I just think with a score that high you would be better off planning a strict schedule for yourself and following it. You're going to be way ahead of all the kids in those classes and I feel that some of your time will be wasted. With a busy work schedule, you may actually have more time on your hands through self-study. I understand the need for structure, but I think you can achieve that without a class. Just my $.02.
No problem...and thanks. I think that's why I'm actually going to do Blueprint: The Movie. It's like a class, but without others in it. I can go at my own pace. It's entertaining, so it will keep me engaged, which is important after a 12 hour workday!

I hope you get what you want when your June score comes in.

furrywalls

New

Post by furrywalls » Thu Jun 24, 2010 3:45 pm

Tuckaseegee wrote:
furrywalls wrote:
Thanks, furrywalls. I'm researching this book now and it looks like an interesting read! Looks like it might be helpful for the LR section.
NOOOOO I think u misinterpreted my sarcasm. Do not suffer through this miserable book. Study wikipedia or any other source for understanding logical fallacies. If I could do it again I would read the PS LR Bible 3 times instead of this book. For every fallacy he presents he discusses to the point where his conclusion ends up being that it cannot in fact be thought of as a fallacy without taking xyz specifics into consideration. Not necessary for the LSAT. The LSAT just wants you to recognize fallacies and decipher what the flaw in reasoning is.

RockabillyForums

New

Post by RockabillyForums » Thu Jun 24, 2010 4:52 pm

Tuckaseegee wrote:Thanks so far.

I am currently taking Knewton and I really like it. You are able to print out everything even the PT's, they give you 1-58 with explanations. Also, if your not able to make your class you can switch to another class that is live or watch a previously recorded class.

And they guarantee a 5 point increase or your money back

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”