Please help suggestions needed

washin34

Please help suggestions needed

Postby washin34 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 7:59 pm

I'm currently on section practice. LG is currently the only section that I am timing because ,for some reason, I am comprehending the questions easier and thus moving much faster than LR and RC. My goal is -5 or less on the entire section. Although finishing in time isn't a factor, I am -6 at best. Today I got a -9. I scored -1 on game one, -2 on game 2 and 3, and -4 on game 4. I had 5 minutes and like 40 seconds left when I started game 4. I felt a little rushed. I went back after I finished to see where I went wrong. I was able to figure the questions without much thought. This happens very often when I'm studying LG. How can I prevent myself from making mistakes not because of lack of conceptual understanding, but from not thoroughly thinking out the questions because of the timing factor on the LSAT.

I usually guess on problems that I feel "stuck" on. I do so because I'm afraid it will waste time to sit and figure the problem. On the section I did today, I guessed on 8 questions and got 7 wrong. Should I keep practicing games until I can get -5 or less or should I implement a specific strategy to help me with this timing thing
Last edited by washin34 on Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

washin34

Re: Help suggestions needed [b].Timing[/b]

Postby washin34 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:47 pm

Please help :D

washin34

Re: Help suggestions needed [b].Timing[/b]

Postby washin34 » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:00 pm

got it..... do you have anything relevant to the topic?

yinz

Re: Please help suggestions needed

Postby yinz » Tue Jun 22, 2010 9:05 pm

Nightrunner wrote: practice a section of LG, every day or every other day, at 30 minutes/section.

When I got stuck on the LSAT (and had to go back and fix a mistake), I was very glad to be used to 30 minutes/section.

Make three copies of every LG problem, do them all.

Hey-O

Postby Hey-O » Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:44 pm

yinz wrote:
Nightrunner wrote: practice a section of LG, every day or every other day, at 30 minutes/section.

When I got stuck on the LSAT (and had to go back and fix a mistake), I was very glad to be used to 30 minutes/section.

Make three copies of every LG problem, do them all.

+1 Practice really does make perfect. Don't despair. I remember when I first came to TLS and read about people regularly doing -0 or -1 on games. I thought they were lying. But now that is my average.

washin34

Postby washin34 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:17 am

ok thanks...I will just keep plugging away....I guess this is something that I can best overcome through regular practice.

Postby 1991 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:34 am

I actually had/have a similar problem. Here's what I did, at the suggestion of my Princeton Review instructor:

AIM TO DO 3 GAMES.

The thing is, the fact that you've LOOKED at every question is not going to be as good news as you think it is. That is because these questions are crafted in a way that if there's an answer you are most likely to pick carelessly, it is most likely an wrong answer. So, in the 35 minutes alotted, aim to do the three easiest games first and ace those, only attacking the fourth game if you have time left. Then you can at least be sure that you got all the easier game scorrect; you will probably be able to do at least two questions from the fourth game this way and guess on the rest. If this is the case, assuming the first three games are solid, you'd get less than five wrong per section.

washin34

Postby washin34 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:07 pm

I will try that approach. Thanks for the advice. Today I did test 9. Game 3 was so hard I didn't get any right.

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:50 pm

Don't worry about timing it will come naturally. Don't rush to check the correct answers. Spend as much time as you need and stare at it until it makes sense. For games, if you get stuck....start making hypos and new diagrams until it clicks. And it will click. Don't lose yourself in the rules or setup, try to keep a big picture perspective. But use the PS strategies the whole time don't try to reinvent the wheel. I would try to categorize them too and just harp on the same type of game until the light bulb goes off and then you realize that there basically the same each time with only slight variations. When you get comfortable with one category move to the next. At the end try to practice your least favorite types 2-3 times as much as the ones you feel are your strongest.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”