How are you going to check your score?

Chimica

Re: How are you going to check your score?

Postby Chimica » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:46 pm

eskimo wrote:
Chimica wrote:I wuld appreciate it if someone who can uplaod an image would post little orphan Annie belting out "Tomorrow!"

Aha! Better than I asked for.

I just figured out why there are so many posts declaring their love for eskimo.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:03 pm

I will probably check my score while listening to Al Green's "How Can You Mend a Broken Heart", just to be safe.

d4nkc21

Postby d4nkc21 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:40 pm

quote="3|ink"]
theZeigs wrote:Wow I can't believe that no one's mentioned it: gmail shots FTW. See here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90380

The score comes in. Search your mail for "180." If you don't get that score, take a shot. Now search "179." Still nothing? Shot. And so on...

I had planned to do this since day 1, literally. However, the more I think about it, and the more I think my score is going to be about 5 points below my average, the more I think I'm going to do it forwards...

Let's say my range of scores that I thought I could reasonably get is 140-160. Both the 140 and 160 are outliers, i.e. more than 3 standard deviations away from what I should get; I reasonably think that I should get somewhere around 152. Start at 140....there should be no way I did this poorly. Check for this score. Nope? AWESOME! Shot. 141...shot, 142...shot.

With the original method, if you get a high score, it will be a surprise, but you'll be sober, and unless it's damn near perfect, you're getting only bad news on the way. With the "forward shots" method, if you end up with a low score, it's a surprise all of the sudden when you come across it, but unless it's at or near the lowest possible score, you continually get good news at least until you find it out. If you end up with a high score, you are continually getting pumped as you keep checking. And getting drunk.

Obviously, there's the concern that you hit your high score and all of the sudden realize that you must have scored even below what you thought was your lowest possible score. So if you think your low score is 165 and high is 180, and you get to 180 and haven't found the email yet, you're very quickly going to be pissed. Thus, you have to be generous on the low end, which is why someone who reasonably said they got a 152 should go to 140 on the low end.

Also, I think 1/2, 1/3, or beer shots are the way to go...if your range is 20, and you score on the higher end of it, you won't be able to see your score when you finally come across it. I think about 10-12 points below your predicted score is a good number to be safe; 1/2 or 1/3 shots should play at this range.

Now that I think about it, another way to do this would be to start with a score that's 1 or two points above your average. Work down until you're confident you didn't do that poorly. That way, as you're working down, there's still a chance that you did better than your average, so there's still hope as you move down. Alternatively, start at your predicted score and check alternately above and below that score. You alternate between really good news and really bad news.

Finally, it also might be helpful to know the curve before this exercise. If you know the curve was a dastardly -8, you should adjust your low range accordingly. If it was maybe more generous a la December 2009's -14, then you might not need to go as low.

After 3 weeks of waiting, I don't think anyone is patient enough to do this.[/quote]

Wow a drinking game to find out your LSAT score is probably the most childish and stupid thing I have ever heard. Start getting out your application for Cooley Law...

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm

d4nkc21 wrote:
Wow a drinking game to find out your LSAT score is probably the most childish and stupid thing I have ever heard. Start getting out your application for Cooley Law...

You.

I don't like you.

MillerTime

Postby MillerTime » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:43 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
d4nkc21 wrote:

You.

I don't like you.

+1

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:45 pm

d4nkc21 wrote:

Okay, it may be childish, and it may be stupid, and I may be going to Cooley, but...what was that fourth thing you said?

krmalek

Postby krmalek » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:47 pm

Last edited by krmalek on Fri Jun 25, 2010 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

hobbsey

Postby hobbsey » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:51 pm

I’ve posted this before, but I have to work on Thursday and Friday and can’t check external email so I’m going to be hiding in the bathroom with my phone to find out my score. I like the gmail star idea, but I’ll probably just read it outright. I kind of hope mine comes out later in the evening because I run the risk of making myself upset at work if the score is bad, but I have no willpower to wait until I get home. :?

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:52 pm

hobbsey wrote:I’ve posted this before, but I have to work on Thursday and Friday and can’t check external email so I’m going to be hiding in the bathroom with my phone to find out my score. I like the gmail star idea, but I’ll probably just read it outright. I kind of hope mine comes out later in the evening because I run the risk of making myself upset at work if the score is bad, but I have no willpower to wait until I get home. :?

Do you work for the FBI?

theZeigs

Postby theZeigs » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:22 pm

evandm wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
d4nkc21 wrote:

You.

I don't like you.

+1

Douchebag.

Thanks for standing up for me guys :D

FWIW, my friend at BU law says that before they even finished collecting the 1L last finals, people were already pouring shots in the lecture hall. I don't mean to romanticize this whole law school thing, but I loves me my booze.

--ImageRemoved--

bk1

Postby bk1 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:29 pm

d4nkc21 wrote:Wow a drinking game to find out your LSAT score is probably the most childish and stupid thing I have ever heard. Start getting out your application for Cooley Law...

Man, you are SO FUCKING COOL.

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:55 pm

--ImageRemoved--

hellojd

Postby hellojd » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:03 pm

evandm wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
d4nkc21 wrote:

You.

I don't like you.

+1

+10000

And where do YOU plan on going to school, so I can avoid you and like-minded people?

QuailMan

Postby QuailMan » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:56 pm

This is a retake for me, last time I took it (Sep 09), I think scores started getting released early in the afternoon (PST). I didnt get my score till 8pm. I was basically going from Gmail-->TLS-->LSAC all day. As soon as scores come out, people start posting the curve, so most of you are going to know that well before you get your actual score, if you check TLS constantly. Then people start talking about the "hardest" questions. I'm sure for this test there will be some "hahahaha to the dickheads who thought the last game was confusing, sooooo obvious!!! :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: ". And then people will start to freak out after they realize that the test was three weeks ago and they cant actually remember what answer they put down for individual questions.

After about 3 hours passed between scores first released and me not getting mine, I started cleaning my apartment...it was spotless by the end. By the time my score came in, I had shut off my computer, I was on my bed, saw the score on my phone, dropped the phone on the floor and fell asleep right there, so anti-climactic.

O, also, about 2 hours after scores get realized the people who haven't received their scores start freaking out thinking they wont get theres till monday or later.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:58 pm

rupertcat wrote:I set up Gmail so that any email from LSAC containing numbers 170-180 will be marked with a big, gold star of achievement (!). If there's an email from LSAC without a star, I'm not going to open it until I pour myself a drink... or 160-something.

+infinite and beyond.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:02 pm

budafied wrote:I will probably come on here and check the curve, then log onto LSAC.

Definitely checking the curve first.

furrywalls

Postby furrywalls » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:02 pm

I say fuck checking the curve or the score first. I just wanna find out who's getting the free LSP shirt.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:13 pm

furrywalls wrote:I say fuck checking the curve or the score first. I just wanna find out who's getting the free LSP shirt.

I don't think I would wear that shirt unless LSP picked up my bar tabs when I wore it.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:56 pm

kesexton wrote:
furrywalls wrote:I say fuck checking the curve or the score first. I just wanna find out who's getting the free LSP shirt.

I don't think I would wear that shirt unless LSP picked up my bar tabs when I wore it.

Agreed. I feel like if I was in my Contracts class and some fool walked through the door, the gunner alarm would need to sound and everyone would auto hate that person.

PlugInBaby

Postby PlugInBaby » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:57 pm

alicrimson wrote:
kesexton wrote:

Agreed. I feel like if I was in my Contracts class and some fool walked through the door, the gunner alarm would need to sound and everyone would auto hate that person.

They could be wearing it just to be ironic.

kazu

Postby kazu » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:02 pm

Nobody's going to be auto-F5ing lsac.org?? :shock:

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:04 pm

kazu wrote:Nobody's going to be auto-F5ing lsac.org?? :shock:

What do you think this is? Amateur hour?

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:05 pm

kazu wrote:Nobody's going to be auto-F5ing lsac.org?? :shock:

Already there. Though only about every 5 minutes ish while i'm on the computer.

Albatross

Postby Albatross » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:11 pm

On that note, I'm going to the bar. I don't think scores are coming in in the next 4 hous.

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:41 pm

kesexton wrote:On that note, I'm going to the bar. I don't think scores are coming in in the next 4 hous.

My town was hit with a tornado. Looks like I will be without power for days. One hour of laptop battery left. Terrible timing. Ugh.

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”