How are you going to check your score?

Dany

Re: How are you going to check your score?

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:03 am

Bildungsroman wrote:Go to settings (upper right hand corner) -> Filters -> Create a New Filter -> Put "170" in the "has the words" box -> Hit next -> Check the "Star It" box -> Click "create filter" -> repeat process with other numbers

I wasn't sure if I could put "170 OR 171 OR 172" etc. in the filter box so I just did one for each score.

Thank you!!

Also, I made sure to turn off "snippets" just in case the score is in the first line. I can't be blindsided by this score, haha!

Postby 1991 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:05 am

1991 wrote:But what if one of those numbers turn out to be included in all of the e-mails? Like:

"Please call 1)800-174-1780" <- but I know that neither the LSAC phone numbers nor the zipcode are in reasonable LSAT range, ha.

"Over 172,000 students have taken the test in your state."

"Please proceed to the LSAC website in 173 seconds or the scores will dissipate into thin air."

"You might think you got a 179 but you actually got a 152 lolz."

^ How about this, though?

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:07 am

1991 wrote:But what if one of those numbers turn out to be included in all of the e-mails? Like:

"Please call 1)800-174-1780" <- but I know that neither the LSAC phone numbers nor the zipcode are in reasonable LSAT range, ha.

"Over 172,000 students have taken the test in your state."

"Please proceed to the LSAC website in 173 seconds or the scores will dissipate into thin air."

"You might think you got a 179 but you actually got a 152 lolz."

LOL! I wouldn't put it past LSAC to do something like that :P.

Rudy

Postby Rudy » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:08 am

For the record, you cannot just type 17* to get the entire range.

Alyssa

Postby Alyssa » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:18 am

For some reason, I also wanted to find out slowly.

I thought the email would start off with something like, "Every year, thousands of students..." Something to add to the suspense.

But instead, it just says

Your [Month] [Year] LSAT score is [###]. The percentile rank is [##].

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:21 am

Yeah, in case anybody wants to see what the actual email looks like, NR was kind enough to share this:

Nightrunner wrote:
LSAC wrote:
Please do not reply to this email. E-mail sent to this address cannot be answered.
Please contact us with your comments, questions, or concerns at LSACinfo@LSAC.org. Please provide your LSAC account number in all correspondence.

Dear Nightrunner,

LSAC account number: Lxxxxxxxxx

Your December 2009 LSAT score is 173. The percentile rank is 99.

This is your unofficial score report.

A copy of your LSAT Score Report will be available under the LSAT tab in the LSAT Status section of your LSAC online account at http://www.lsac.org. Other test related documents (in accordance with LSAC disclosure policies) may also be available under LSAT Documents.

Law School Admission Council

Any alteration of information in this email message of any kind is strictly prohibited and may fall under the definition of misconduct and irregularities as listed in the Law School Admission Council Rules Governing Misconduct and Irregularities in the Admission Process.

This email message and any attachments it contains are confidential and are intended solely for the use of the intended recipient. If you are not the intended recipient (email here), you are hereby notified that you received this email message in error, and that any use, dissemination, distribution, printing/copying, or forwarding of this message and any attachment is strictly prohibited. If you received this email message in error, please notify LSACINFO@LSAC.org immediately, and delete the message and any attachment from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.

^^ ripped straight from the vaults of gmail

Postby 1991 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:22 am

I should write the LSAC report letters. It would be much more entertaining and defeat the purpose of the Gchat filters.

zworykin

Postby zworykin » Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:49 am

I changed my email address with LSAC to one that I don't actually use for anything else. I want to find out here that the scores are out before I actually see mine. Not sure why.

rupertcat

Postby rupertcat » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:42 am

Hey-O wrote:
rupertcat wrote:I set up Gmail so that any email from LSAC containing numbers 170-180 will be marked with a big, gold star of achievement (!). If there's an email from LSAC without a star, I'm not going to open it until I pour myself a drink... or 160-something.
What a good idea!
Thanks! I had my boyfriend test it, and he kept sending me emails with numbers like "157" and "165" -- instead of getting nervous about the filter not being set-up properly, I was afraid he'd jinx it for me. Consequently, I had a dream that night about opening the email and seeing a "90". Awesome.

crossingforHYS

Postby crossingforHYS » Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:19 am

rupertcat wrote:I set up Gmail so that any email from LSAC containing numbers 170-180 will be marked with a big, gold star of achievement (!). If there's an email from LSAC without a star, I'm not going to open it until I pour myself a drink... or 160-something.
how did you do that?
never mind...just read the above post. Thanks! I only did 170,169 and 168 anything else I will cry

BigA

Postby BigA » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:16 am

I'm sure it will occur to me at some point within the next month. I'll think, ya know I wonder how I did on that test I took. Then I'll go over to the website and check it out, if I'm not too busy

Knock

Postby Knock » Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:59 am

BigA wrote:I'm sure it will occur to me at some point within the next month. I'll think, ya know I wonder how I did on that test I took. Then I'll go over to the website and check it out, if I'm not too busy

haha, funniest post i've read all day :lol:.

lifestooquick

Postby lifestooquick » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:09 am

Now I've been thinking about this and for some reason I think I'll probably wait until I see the crazy flurry of activity here then log in to my LSAC account to get my score.

CryingMonkey

Postby CryingMonkey » Wed Jun 23, 2010 8:43 am

First, I'll find out here when scores are released. Then, I will make appropriate sacrifices to the dark gods of the LSAT. Then, I will check my email. Then, wailing and gnashing of teeth.

budafied

Postby budafied » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:08 am

I will probably come on here and check the curve, then log onto LSAC.

theZeigs

Postby theZeigs » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:13 am

Wow I can't believe that no one's mentioned it: gmail shots FTW. See here: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=90380

The score comes in. Search your mail for "180." If you don't get that score, take a shot. Now search "179." Still nothing? Shot. And so on...

I had planned to do this since day 1, literally. However, the more I think about it, and the more I think my score is going to be about 5 points below my average, the more I think I'm going to do it forwards...

Let's say my range of scores that I thought I could reasonably get is 140-160. Both the 140 and 160 are outliers, i.e. more than 3 standard deviations away from what I should get; I reasonably think that I should get somewhere around 152. Start at 140....there should be no way I did this poorly. Check for this score. Nope? AWESOME! Shot. 141...shot, 142...shot.

With the original method, if you get a high score, it will be a surprise, but you'll be sober, and unless it's damn near perfect, you're getting only bad news on the way. With the "forward shots" method, if you end up with a low score, it's a surprise all of the sudden when you come across it, but unless it's at or near the lowest possible score, you continually get good news at least until you find it out. If you end up with a high score, you are continually getting pumped as you keep checking. And getting drunk.

Obviously, there's the concern that you hit your high score and all of the sudden realize that you must have scored even below what you thought was your lowest possible score. So if you think your low score is 165 and high is 180, and you get to 180 and haven't found the email yet, you're very quickly going to be pissed. Thus, you have to be generous on the low end, which is why someone who reasonably said they got a 152 should go to 140 on the low end.

Also, I think 1/2, 1/3, or beer shots are the way to go...if your range is 20, and you score on the higher end of it, you won't be able to see your score when you finally come across it. I think about 10-12 points below your predicted score is a good number to be safe; 1/2 or 1/3 shots should play at this range.

Now that I think about it, another way to do this would be to start with a score that's 1 or two points above your average. Work down until you're confident you didn't do that poorly. That way, as you're working down, there's still a chance that you did better than your average, so there's still hope as you move down. Alternatively, start at your predicted score and check alternately above and below that score. You alternate between really good news and really bad news.

Finally, it also might be helpful to know the curve before this exercise. If you know the curve was a dastardly -8, you should adjust your low range accordingly. If it was maybe more generous a la December 2009's -14, then you might not need to go as low.

3|ink

Postby 3|ink » Wed Jun 23, 2010 9:16 am

theZeigs wrote:Wow I can't believe that no one's mentioned it: gmail shots FTW. See here: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... =6&t=90380

The score comes in. Search your mail for "180." If you don't get that score, take a shot. Now search "179." Still nothing? Shot. And so on...

I had planned to do this since day 1, literally. However, the more I think about it, and the more I think my score is going to be about 5 points below my average, the more I think I'm going to do it forwards...

Let's say my range of scores that I thought I could reasonably get is 140-160. Both the 140 and 160 are outliers, i.e. more than 3 standard deviations away from what I should get; I reasonably think that I should get somewhere around 152. Start at 140....there should be no way I did this poorly. Check for this score. Nope? AWESOME! Shot. 141...shot, 142...shot.

With the original method, if you get a high score, it will be a surprise, but you'll be sober, and unless it's damn near perfect, you're getting only bad news on the way. With the "forward shots" method, if you end up with a low score, it's a surprise all of the sudden when you come across it, but unless it's at or near the lowest possible score, you continually get good news at least until you find it out. If you end up with a high score, you are continually getting pumped as you keep checking. And getting drunk.

Obviously, there's the concern that you hit your high score and all of the sudden realize that you must have scored even below what you thought was your lowest possible score. So if you think your low score is 165 and high is 180, and you get to 180 and haven't found the email yet, you're very quickly going to be pissed. Thus, you have to be generous on the low end, which is why someone who reasonably said they got a 152 should go to 140 on the low end.

Also, I think 1/2, 1/3, or beer shots are the way to go...if your range is 20, and you score on the higher end of it, you won't be able to see your score when you finally come across it. I think about 10-12 points below your predicted score is a good number to be safe; 1/2 or 1/3 shots should play at this range.

Now that I think about it, another way to do this would be to start with a score that's 1 or two points above your average. Work down until you're confident you didn't do that poorly. That way, as you're working down, there's still a chance that you did better than your average, so there's still hope as you move down. Alternatively, start at your predicted score and check alternately above and below that score. You alternate between really good news and really bad news.

Finally, it also might be helpful to know the curve before this exercise. If you know the curve was a dastardly -8, you should adjust your low range accordingly. If it was maybe more generous a la December 2009's -14, then you might not need to go as low.

After 3 weeks of waiting, I don't think anyone is patient enough to do this.

shoop

Postby shoop » Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:23 am

I'm debating making a "Harvard, bitch!" tag and having the Gmail filter apply it to anything 175 or higher. BUT, then I run teh chance of killing myself unnecessarily before opening the email if it comes in and, despite having a good score, doesn't get the tag due to a filter malfunction.

makingwaves

Postby makingwaves » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:06 am

lifestooquick wrote:Now I've been thinking about this and for some reason I think I'll probably wait until I see the crazy flurry of activity here then log in to my LSAC account to get my score.

I'll probably do the same thing, unless LSAC decides to send my score at like 8am tomorrow and its already on my blackberry when I wake up...

...but that would just be cruel.

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:24 am

makingwaves wrote:
lifestooquick wrote:Now I've been thinking about this and for some reason I think I'll probably wait until I see the crazy flurry of activity here then log in to my LSAC account to get my score.

I'll probably do the same thing, unless LSAC decides to send my score at like 8am tomorrow and its already on my blackberry when I wake up...

...but that would just be cruel.

If by cruel, you mean awesome. I'm just ready to get this score already. That being said, unless you're on the West coast, I doubt this will happen. We are so close to being there...

Chimica

Postby Chimica » Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:45 am

I wuld appreciate it if someone who can uplaod an image would post little orphan Annie belting out "Tomorrow!"

Dany

Postby Dany » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:21 pm

Chimica wrote:I wuld appreciate it if someone who can uplaod an image would post little orphan Annie belting out "Tomorrow!"

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:25 pm

Knockglock wrote:
Azmatt wrote:I didn't take the test in June, but I'm going to open mine Rudy style. Sunset at a park bench all by myself. Then cry like a baby.

Yep.

+1 million. beautiful!!!!!!!!! if it was snail mail I would totally do this.

I'm in Northern Indiana (took the lsat at Notre Dame) so I would totaly do this!!!

I hope the scores don't come out tomorrow a.m. (please someone tell me it won't). I have a three hour chemistry final and obviously won't be able to look at my blackberry and I will want to and it will be on my mind the entire time!!!

alicrimson

Postby alicrimson » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:28 pm

angiej wrote:
Knockglock wrote:
Azmatt wrote:I didn't take the test in June, but I'm going to open mine Rudy style. Sunset at a park bench all by myself. Then cry like a baby.

Yep.

I'm in Northern Indiana (took the lsat at Notre Dame) so I would totaly do this!!!

This doesn't have much to do with anything, but when I was at my first UG and trying to walk onto the basketball team my dad's advice in terms of how I deal with the coach seriously came from the movie Rudy. He was like "You should do this. Haven't you seen Rudy?" He was serious. I was like, "Dad, this is real life here."

Edit for outcome: Totally got cut. But was vindicated by second UG transfer process, though it still wasn't basketball. :D

angiej

Postby angiej » Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:31 pm

alicrimson wrote:
angiej wrote:
Knockglock wrote:

Yep.

This doesn't have much to do with anything, but when I was at my first UG and trying to walk onto the basketball team my dad's advice in terms of how I deal with the coach seriously came from the movie Rudy. He was like "You should do this. Haven't you seen Rudy?" He was serious. I was like, "Dad, this is real life here."

Edit for outcome: Totally got cut. But was vindicated by second UG transfer process, though it still wasn't basketball. :D

Ha its amazing how much advice we take from movies. Hubby told me I should read "lsat for dummies" because "elle woods did and she scored 179." I looked at him like WTF.

BTW LOVE your tar!!! How/where did you find it/make it???

Return to “LSAT Prep and Discussion Forum”